Videos about the filmmaking process

Tools    

I didn't find a thread like this, so I thought it would perhaps be useful to create one myself.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here whose interest in films goes deeper than just casually watching some movies from time to time. I'm completely obsessed with the medium of film and I know many of you are too!

Lately, I find myself watching videos from time to time about several aspects of the "filmmaking process" and how those aspects evolved during the history of cinema (and how they're still evolving)...

Let this be the main thread where we can share interesting videos like that (it can be about anything, even about specific techniques from a certain director) with eachother, so we can learn more about which factors actually create the "magic" on our screens.

Just watched this small video about the history of sound (and the business around it) in cinema:

(you have to ignore the poster fail at 28:35)

I love making of documentaries. Troma has a lot of good ones. There's the PTA one I posted in the PTA thread. There's a great one for Royal Tenenbaums, that follows Anderson around. The Lord of the Rings extended editions has a crapload of behind the scenes stuff. And there are plenty more.

First of all, I recommend this channel if you're interested in the process of editing:

Every Frame a Painting

(it's one of my favorite channels on youtube)

I also watched this yesterday:

First of all, I recommend this channel if you're interested in the process of editing:

Every Frame a Painting

(it's one of my favorite channels on youtube)

I also watched this yesterday:

I was just about to recommend this. Fantastic stuff, especially like the one on Fincher.

I was just about to recommend this. Fantastic stuff, especially like the one on Fincher.
Do you happen to know any other channels that reach the same kind of quality?

Do you happen to know any other channels that reach the same kind of quality?
No other channels I know of, but Mark Cousins' series The Story of Film goes into similar depth and covers the whole history of the medium, if you haven't seen it already. As a jumping off point you can't go wrong.

Anyone want a good making-of documentary, Troma does so many great ones and they are long! I think one I watched was like, 2 hours - on the making of Citizen Toxie.

THR makes director roundtable videos every year in preparation for the academy awards, and I LOVE them. I just love listening to filmmakers talk about their filmmaking process. Here is this years.

It's a narrative but I would recommend Living in Oblivion starring steve buscemi as his character tries to direct his latest film.

It's hilarious for anyone that has been on a film set, and entertaining to the rest that haven't.

Have any of you guys watched The Story Of Film? It is a fifteen episode show I found on Netflix. I have only watched the first episode but I have a feeling I am going to get a bit of an education which is much needed.

I'm definitely going to watch The Story of Film when I have the time.

Visions of Light (The Art of Cinematography) is a must-see.
I watched this somewhere in the afternoon today and it was pretty "illuminating" at times.
Cinematography has always seemed like the hardest part of filmmaking to me and when I see the perfect beauty of certain shots, I tend to stand by that statement.

I've also come across this Youtube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/filmriot

This channel covers much of the basic filmmaking stuff and is full of interesting, practical tips that can be very useful if you're ever planning on making a short film or anything like that.

Just watched this great TV Documentary about some of Scorsese's personal insights about various aspects of American film during the first seven decades of the 20th century. Great watch!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112120/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_30

For any horror fans, the first section of this has a bunch of interviews and behind the scenes stuff. I'll be giving it a look see.

http://filmmakeriq.com/2008/10/horro...ipt-to-scream/