The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies

→ in
Tools    

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Hey do post apocalyptic flicks count as sci-fi? And in the same token, does Dr Strangelove count? it is on a few sci-fi lists I have seen, but it was always more comedy then sci fi to me.
Post apocalypse movies like Mad Max very much do count. But I don't think Dr. Strange love does.

Yay! Will start list tomorrow.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I wasn't looking forward to this list at first, because I do not consider myself a fan of Sci-Fi but last night I was having a look and discovered quite a few movies that I'd never really thought of as Science Fiction but actually do qualify.

There are a couple of films not tagged as Sci-Fi by IMDb that I want to put up for consideration though:

The Incredibles

When I was looking through IMDb's top rated Sci-Fi list, I saw superhero movie after superhero movie, yet when I checked this movie I found that it was not classified as Sci-Fi despite also being a superhero movie.

Edward Scissorhands

This one really straddles the line between Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but ultimately it's about a person who was created by an inventor - not unlike Frankenstein which is classified as Sci-Fi. Edward Scissorhands also appears on the OFC's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films list, which is already in the Lists section of the forum.

I think both The Incredibles and Edward Scissorhands are sci-fi, and they should both should be eligible.

Welcome to the human race...
I know IMDb has Mad Max associated with Sci-Fi, but why?
In the case of Mad Max, it's because the film's premise and setting is expanding upon a scientifically plausible hypothesis that international conflicts over dwindling natural resources could result in a global nuclear war.

In the case of Mad Max, it's because the film's premise and setting is expanding upon a scientifically plausible hypothesis that international conflicts over dwindling natural resources could result in a global nuclear war.
I look at Mad Max as simular too most future films only differance it is from Minority Report or I Robot is tech ruined mankind. No different then planet of the apes really.

I look at Mad Max as simular too most future films only differance it is from Minority Report or I Robot is tech ruined mankind. No different then planet of the apes really.
That also works, it really is just a bad future.

I'm not sure why that makes it Sci-Fi, although I think I might be struggling with the term's exact definition.

It seems that some people are not trying to think of the best Sci-Fi movies, but rather looking at their favorite movies and trying to find Sci-Fi elements they may have in them. Ghostbusters is a perfect example. Nobody is going to say, let's watch a Sci-Fi movie tonight and then watch Ghostbusters. It has those elements, but that doesn't make it a sci-fi film. It's most certainly a comedy, isn't it? I know folks will say well it's this mixed with that and this happens and all that, but I see a cheapened countdown coming if such a broad range of movies are allowed in.

I think if you're going to deal with the future then it's practically sci-fi by default since you're creating a fictitious future by extrapolating on the science of the past/present.

My concern is we will compile all these pretty good lists and most of the 100 will be classic sci films like Day The Earth Stood Still or Invasion Of The Body Snatchers or that allot of good modern sci fi will be left on the floor and not mentioned.

I think if you're going to deal with the future then it's practically sci-fi by default since you're creating a fictitious future by extrapolating on the science of the past/present.
I think that's a big part of what I'm struggling with. I feel like I'm stuck with the notion that anything that's been proven possible isn't Sci-Fi, no matter when it occurs, if it occurs on earth.