The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Peter Pan (Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson, Et al., 1953)
Imdb

Date Watched: 6/14/16
Cinema or Home: At work on my portable DVD player
Reason For Watching: 50's list
Rewatch: I don't think so

As is to be expected from a Disney film, the animation in Peter Pan is quite beautiful. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of the praise I can give it. What could have been a fun fantasy adventure just felt rushed and not well fleshed out. The characters were all very one dimensional and irritating and the humor was all too slapstick. I've never read or seen a production of the original play, so I'm not sure how much of the blame lies with Barrie and how much is with Disney, but this just wasn't what I was expecting.

the animation in Peter Pan is quite beautiful.
I disagree, i think the animation is the main reason i don't like Peter Pan. It's not Robin Hood bad, but i don't think it is well animated at all.

The best 50's Animation was in Looney Tunes Shorts. So vote for a few of them .

Oh dear. Streetcar Named Desire makes me wanna send in a '50s list. When is that due?

Agree about Marlon Brando being smokin' hot in it.

Oh dear. Streetcar Named Desire makes me wanna send in a '50s list. When is that due?

Agree about Marlon Brando being smokin' hot in it.
August 10th is the final deadline. You can send in partial lists starting July 1st.

I disagree, i think the animation is the main reason i don't like Peter Pan. It's not Robin Hood bad, but i don't think it is well animated at all.
I'm inclined to say it's the characters and tone by far.

Peter is a brat, Wendy is a Mary Sue, Tinkerbell's a bitch...

I find it kinda cringey when I see little girls fed on Tinkerbell, she's a terrible role model.

I will say Peter Pan isn't as bad as that post-Hook remake. That movie made me hate Speed of Sound by Coldplay.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Tinkerbell's a bitch...
I completely agree with this. I just hate her so much.

I find it kinda cringey when I see little girls fed on Tinkerbell, she's a terrible role model.
But here's the thing, though. Little girls do have a mind of their own. Nobody tells them to like her. I think they just do. But I NEVER liked Tinkerbell. I HATED her when I was a little girl. And the older I got, the more I hated her - if that was even possible. Personally, I think the only reason - and I could be wrong - that girls are drawn to her is because she is a fairy (and girls seem to have a "thing" about fairies - I never cared about them). And to make it even "better" is that she is a Disney fairy. A perfect combination, I guess, for little girls.

She's still heavily marketed to children and bought by parents (that's why I said fed, not all children question what they "eat").

Far more than Belle from Beauty and the Beast who actually exercised some positive values.

Piper (Alan Barillaro, 2016)
Imdb

Date Watched: 6/18/16
Cinema or Home: Cinema (with Funny Face)
Reason For Watching: It’s Pixar
Rewatch: No

Whenever Pixar announces a new feature, I get a little extra excited because I know a new short will accompany it. There are many that I absolutely love, but the last several have been disappointing to me. In fact I haven't loved any of them since Partly Cloudy, which appeared before Up.

Well today they redeemed themselves. Piper is wonderful. The animation is nothing short of stunning. It's probably the most photo-realistic animated film I've ever seen. The story itself - of a hatchling sandpiper learning to find food and overcoming his fear of the water - is also really sweet. I'm not yet sure exactly where I'd rank it among Pixar's other theatrical shorts, but it's definitely among my favorites.

Finding Dory (Andrew Stanton and Angus MacLane, 2016)
Imdb

Rewatch: No

Possible Spoilers

Despite being a Pixar fangirl, I had my reservations going into this. Pixar doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to sequels or for that matter to their recent output (with the obvious exception of Inside Out). And although I like Finding Nemo, it's never been a particular favorite of mine.

I can't say that I was blown away by this movie, but I definitely had a good time with it. I had quite a few laughs and really liked most of the new characters. But there were definitely some things that bothered me a little bit. First of all, I'm usually very much impressed by the attention to detail and research that goes into Pixar's movies, but I really felt like that just didn't happen here, particularly when it came to a captive whale shark named Destiny.

We're first introduced to Destiny when Dory finds herself in a pail of dead fish and is tossed into Destiny's tank as food. Whale sharks are huge, slow moving filter feeders who would not benefit from a few dead fish being tossed into the tank. The movie also had Destiny doing things that just aren't physically possible for a giant, slow moving fish (A Free Willy style escape by a whale shark? I don't buy it, Pixar).

The story itself also ventures into some really absurd territory and features an absolutely ridiculous finale - featuring a transport truck full of marine life, an escaped octopus, and Dory in a cup. I know it's an animated children's tale, but it really stretched my limits in terms of suspension of disbelief. Oh well. Even with its flaws it's much better than Brave.

-

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I saw it yesterday too. It's nowhere close to as good as Finding Nemo but it did have its own charm. It's a middle of the road Pixar, which isn't really that bad, but far from anything great.

Took me a moment to realize that was animation. What is that?

Piper (Alan Barillaro, 2016)
Imdb

****! I didn't even know this was a thing!

Took me a moment to realize that was animation. What is that?

****! I didn't even know this was a thing!

Have you never watched Pixar movies at the theater? They're always accompanied by a Pixar short film. Piper is the short that accompanies Finding Dory.

Have you never watched Pixar movies at the theater? They're always accompanied by a Pixar short film. Piper is the short that accompanies Finding Dory.
No I just totally forgot Finding Dory was coming out.

I just remember it as an entry in-title-only on a Wikipedia page.

No I just totally forgot Finding Dory was coming out.

I just remember it as an entry in-title-only on a Wikipedia page.
Ah, I see. It just came out, so you're not too far out of the loop.

Repped but didn't read it yet. Really looking forward to this even though i think Finding Nemo is the weakest of the good Pixar films.

Read the Piper one and i have to agree from that gif that looks incredibly Photo-Realistic.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Repped but didn't read it yet. Really looking forward to this even though i think Finding Nemo is the weakest of the good Pixar films.

Read the Piper one and i have to agree from that gif that looks incredibly Photo-Realistic.
The weakest?!?!? For shame.