Slasher Hall of Fame

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off

Credit to nostromo87 for the excellent video.

Welcome to the Slasher Hall of Fame.

I haven't been able to gather a massive following for this hall of fame, but you know, that's alright with me. I think the enthusiasm of the members we do have will make up for the lack of numbers, and while we only number six strong at the moment, I expect we might be able to pick up a couple stragglers along the way. I'd accept up to six more people, so join or die!

Now for the already committed members, go ahead and send me your nominations. I'm ready to get this show on the road.

For what is acceptable for nominations, I won't make the rules for what a slasher is. Each person might have their own definition, and I'll allow you to make your own distinction. Just use some sense when nominating, don't get crazy on us.

The one thing that you can't nominate is Psycho. Not because I don't think it belongs in a slasher hall of fame, but because it is already in our hall of fame. It won the very first one.

Nominees:

Alice Sweet Alice (Alfred Sole, 1976) Nominated by
Ðèstîñy

Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978) Nominated by Swan

When I was thinking about what I would nominate, I was trying to decide if I should nominate Halloween - the quintessential and best slasher film to date - or go with something lesser-known. But when I pictured myself nominating something else, I felt like I was being a bit... blasphemous. Not only to the slasher genre, not only because it defines a slasher in every inkling of its being, but because it is one of those films that defines me, as a person. It has been there for my enjoyment for most of my life and has inspired me in many, many ways. It has influenced much of what I seek in cinema - effective simplicity, visceral horror, intelligence, passion, and overall, a good time. So it's a very personal nomination. On top of that, though, I simply think it deserves to win the first, maybe only, slasher hall of fame.

Christmas Evil (Lewis Jackson, 1980) Nominated by jiraffejustin

Okay, so hear me out. This is like an art-slasher or something. It's by far the most surreal slasher I've ever seen, and I think it's a misunderstood movie that really needs to be reexamined by cinephiles. John Waters is the biggest fan of the movie, in terms of fame x vocal support. He calls it the greatest Christmas movie of all-time. I don't really know what to say, it's a bizarre movie. I hope everybody will at least appreciate it on some level, because there's nothing else like it.

But most importantly, the main character looks like a combination of Bill Murray and Tommy Lee Jones.

Dressed to Kill (Brian De Palma, 1980) Nominated by BlueLion

Terror Train (Roger Spottiswoode, 1980) Nominated by cricket

I decided to go with a prototypical slasher from when I consider to be the golden age for these movies. It stars that era's scream queen and my all time favorite butterface, Jamie Lee Curtis. I think it's a movie that fits in perfectly with this Hall of Fame, and I think everyone will enjoy it.

Happy Birthday to Me (J. Lee Thompson, 1981) Nominated by honeykid

A Nightmare on Elm Street (Wes Craven, 1984) Nominated by nostromo87

Jason X (Jim Isaac, 2001) Nominated by Sane

Jeepers Creepers (Victor Salva, 2001) Nominated by Derek Vinyard

Hatchet (Adam Green, 2006) Nominated by MovieGal

Can I enter ?? I promess to watch every film and be active

I might join if everyone reveals what they've nominated so far so I'll know if I should join.

. I love that you were banned. Just don't call anything you haven't watched a snoozefest this time
This is a HoF that actually interest me... because it's my kind of movie but if you don't want me to participate it's ok lol

Personally it doesn't look like a slasher to me, but I won't decide for you what you consider a slasher.
I think this is a good idea, because it'd be too hard to really nail down what exactly is a slasher. I personally just ask everyone that they nominate something that they genuinely consider a slasher, and not take advantage of this leniency.

This is a HoF that actually interest me... because it's my kind of movie but if you don't want me to participate it's ok lol
I was joking. I repped your post and included a smilie. Outside of turning up at your door I fail to see how I could've been anymore clear.

FTR I Endorse Derek's bid to be part of this HOF!