6.06%
2 votes
Overhauled forum structure
15.15%
5 votes
Something else (specified below)
33 votes. You may not vote on this poll

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ha! Reading through my reply here I'm totally going balls-in obsessive mode. I don't mean it to be dry or argumentative, so please please please do not read my tone as such. OK, now that that's out of the way: We now return you to a very special episode of YN's Replies.

Previously, on YN's Replies...

The bookmark option is called Subscribe to a thread. It's easy and effective. When you find a thread you want to Subscribe to (bookmark) you do this:

Tools>Subscribe to this Thread>Add Subscription

Then to check your subscribed threads click User CP and there listed is all the threads that you've subscribed to...and it shows you threads with recent post.

Also there's a link to View All of your Subscribed Threads. It's one of the best features on the board. I'm currently subscribed to 73 threads. You can delete subscriptions at any time too.

But that is sort of my point. What new user inherently knows to click Tools>Subscribe to this Thread>Add Subscription? I'll be honest, I just looked in the menu for a Tools list. I didn't see it. I do now, as a non-obtrusive text link placed below the primary navigation and banners, and slight above and to the right of the page content.

There's what, four or five tiers of navigation located in roughly three unique locations on a page? They are all either white or a dark gray, so yeah, things can get overlooked. Further, what new user inherently knows what a User "CP" is to question if that link may potentially lead to a location that stores subscriptions? It would be more apparent if, when logging in, that our default page landed us on our User CP screen but that's not the case. I don't think? I always just use my browser's bookmark to land in the Questions forum because that's where I was first when I bookmarked the site.

Please know that I am not complaining or even really arguing that the tools do not exist, or that those tools are bad. I'm only really trying offer a perspective from which new (or in my case, year+ users) might interpret the site as it is. That some may completely miss opportunities for a continued discussion simply for not knowing or understanding the site structure or the tools available to help with that.

Finally, people and tech move faster and faster. A nested sub-section for specific forum types may help increase staying power. Intuitive navigation is a key factor in interface design (in general). The more time it takes for new users to learn where things are and how things work allows more opportunity for those users to give up and move on. This is relevant for most any interface, and I'm speaking broadly here and not specifically to MOFO; though the logic is global.

When I'm designing sites or navigation or apps or whatever, I try to approach things from the perspective of the average user. At least the average user of users that are most likely to use my site or whatever I'm working up. There are things that I personally prefer, but that's not always helpful to the average user or the target user's awareness. in those cases, my preference takes a backseat to what would better serve the average. For example, if I'm designing a tech manual for military aviation I can assume the average reader will already know certain things. I could not apply that same assumption to an interactive eBook for grade-school children. So I adapt to the target because I typically want as wide of a net that I can throw without making things too awkward or difficult for everyone that may have interest in the product. Sure there are outliers and customization might be necessary for unique instances, but for the most part I want things accessible to as many as possible. That's my philosophy when it comes to print and site design in general. YMMV, which is totally fine. Just context.

I am trying very hard not to end on a joke btw. I have become self conscious of that pattern and am trying to break it. o.O

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Ha! Reading through my reply here I'm totally going balls-in obsessive mode. I don't mean it to be dry or argumentative, so please please please do not read my tone as such. OK, now that that's out of the way: We now return you to a very special episode of YN's Replies.

But that is sort of my point. What new user inherently knows to click Tools>Subscribe to this Thread>Add Subscription? I'll be honest, I just looked in the menu for a Tools list. I didn't see it. I do now, as a non-obtrusive text link placed below the primary navigation and banners, and slight above and to the right of the page content.

There's what, four or five tiers of navigation located in roughly three unique locations on a page? They are all either white or a dark gray, so yeah, things can get overlooked. Further, what new user inherently knows what a User "CP" is to question if that link may potentially lead to a location that stores subscriptions? It would be more apparent if, when logging in, that our default page landed us on our User CP screen but that's not the case. I don't think? I always just use my browser's bookmark to land in the Questions forum because that's where I was first when I bookmarked the site.

Please know that I am not complaining or even really arguing that the tools do not exist, or that those tools are bad. I'm only really trying offer a perspective from which new (or in my case, year+ users) might interpret the site as it is. That some may completely miss opportunities for a continued discussion simply for not knowing or understanding the site structure or the tools available to help with that.

Finally, people and tech move faster and faster. A nested sub-section for specific forum types may help increase staying power. Intuitive navigation is a key factor in interface design (in general). The more time it takes for new users to learn where things are and how things work allows more opportunity for those users to give up and move on. This is relevant for most any interface, and I'm speaking broadly here and not specifically to MOFO; though the logic is global.

When I'm designing sites or navigation or apps or whatever, I try to approach things from the perspective of the average user. At least the average user of users that are most likely to use my site or whatever I'm working up. There are things that I personally prefer, but that's not always helpful to the average user or the target user's awareness. in those cases, my preference takes a backseat to what would better serve the average. For example, if I'm designing a tech manual for military aviation I can assume the average reader will already know certain things. I could not apply that same assumption to an interactive eBook for grade-school children. So I adapt to the target because I typically want as wide of a net that I can throw without making things too awkward or difficult for everyone that may have interest in the product. Sure there are outliers and customization might be necessary for unique instances, but for the most part I want things accessible to as many as possible. That's my philosophy when it comes to print and site design in general. YMMV, which is totally fine. Just context.

I am trying very hard not to end on a joke btw. I have become self conscious of that pattern and am trying to break it. o.O

@Yoda - I voted for Searchable/Sortable Log but can I ask to officially change that vote to the addition of a "Precis Post" function (that could perhaps work similarly to the review snapshot logic) please. Thanky very muchly

I think the search engine is very inconsistent. Definitely the thing I want improved most
Yoda added Boolean search terms to the search sometime back. It really helps if you are looking for say a movie with a common name to put it in quotes " ".

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The ability to make peoples' head explode, like Scanners...

...oh you mean feature for MoFo! Yeah same thing, it would be better than banning!

If you have website tips for Yoda, please address him and not me. I was trying to help you as I thought you might appreciate it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Seems redundant.
Yep, my personal bot @resopamenic is doing this already!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Program: Clean entire flat.

Have fun while I watch awesome movies.

Well, there's a pretty clear winner.

And it's me. Do I win something?

Yeah, I'm a little surprised by how definitive the results are! I was worried it'd be like a three-way tie.

The seen log/options were what I was leaning towards anyway before I decided to post this poll, so that'll probably be next.

I think the search engine is very inconsistent. Definitely the thing I want improved most
+1

The search function on here is one of the worst I've ever used. It's often easier, if you know who started the thread you're looking for, to go through their thread list to find what search should spit out in seconds.

+1

The search function on here is one of the worst I've ever used. It's often easier, if you know who started the thread you're looking for, to go through their thread list to find what search should spit out in seconds.

Example:

If I type NFL I get no results for the NFL pick'em league and if I search pick'em I also cant find the thread.

Example:

If I type NFL I get no results for the NFL pick'em league and if I search pick'em I also cant find the thread.
That's exactly what happens to me most times I try searching for a thread. Search once told me there were no threads containing the word "movie" in it.

Come on, search function....

I'm a little at a loss re: search. In the past, it's been pretty excellent. It degraded, and I rebuilt the search index, and it seemed pretty good again. I've rebuilt the index a few times since, but it doesn't seem to improve as much.

I'll look at rebuilding it again and/or tweaking some of the settings. But, if this potentially clears anything up, the search in the header literally just searches titles. The Advanced Search is the one that lets you search entire posts. Dunno if that suddenly makes sense of it for anyone.