Movies that should be shown in film school?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I graduated from film school a while ago, and the three movies they showed us, which we studied and broke down, were Children of Men (2006), Winter's Bone (2010), and Limitless (2011).

Three movies I would have expected actually. But which movies do you think should be shown to educationally learn from?

My top 2 so far would be Cell 211 (2009), and Ed Wood (1994)

Cell 211 was great on how to a 180 degree character arc in such a short amount of time, while keeping subplots interconnecting with it. Ed Wood is a good movie on what not to do, but a great inspiration on filmmaking passion.

But which movies do you think should be shown?

I graduated from film school a while ago, and the three movies they showed us, which we studied and broke down, were Children of Men (2006), Winter's Bone (2010), and Limitless (2011).
I'm amazed they only showed films from the last twenty years. I haven't seen any of those incidentally. I never fancied Children of Men in particular.

Three movies I would have expected actually. But which movies do you think should be shown to educationally learn from?
I'd want to show something that's rich in visuals, with interesting shots and editing. I'd have to put Werner Herzog in there because I love his eye for shot composition – Nosferatu the Vampyre's a great one. I also think Dredd 's a brilliant film in that it combines action with pure cinema – the Slo-Mo sequences take it to that transcendent level.

12 Angry Men
Perfect example of how to make a movie that takes place in one room, and has only characters to drive the plot.

^^ Agree with Dredd as well.
Dredd can also be used as an example of how online leaking and script security works, and how it affects a movie's reputation, after the script for Dredd was leaked online and plagiarised by the studio behind The Raid... which then caused people to think that Dredd was the copy.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
In Poland they got a list of 200-something films they had to familiarize themselves with. And that was just one class. LOL. Obviously, nobody watched all of them, and they just learnt their synopsis and cinema history by heart.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Frankly speaking, im surprise to hear if filmschool just breaking down contemporaries but not for some essential and classic but then i guess clearly out of reference for what really going on there

In Poland they got a list of 200-something films they had to familiarize themselves with. And that was just one class. LOL. Obviously, nobody watched all of them, and they just learnt their synopsis and cinema history by heart.
sensei why didnt you become filmaker instead

sensei why didnt you become filmaker instead
I didn't even study filmmaking. Besides I don't think I would be a good director.

Di je Karlo?
All aspiring film directors, and storytellers in general, should see There Will be Blood so they can learn how to include political commentary that goes beyond "this thing good" or "this thing bad"

Brief Encounter- thinking about its cultural impact, the frame narrative so we see the lovers say goodbye before we've even met them.
Chinatown- great sound, script, aesthetic, acting, how it uses the genre of detective/film noir
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg- American influence (MGM musical) on French filmmaker. Influential on La La Land.

My top 2 so far would be Cell 211 (2009), and Ed Wood (1994)

Cell 211 was great on how to a 180 degree character arc in such a short amount of time, while keeping subplots interconnecting with it. Ed Wood is a good movie on what not to do, but a great inspiration on filmmaking passion.

But which movies do you think should be shown?
I've seen VoM and Limitless. Out of interest, why did you expect Limitless? And what did your class make of the film?

Dunkirk - One Week, One Day, One Hour etc.

I wonder how many Polish films were in the list?

I wonder how many Polish films were in the list?
None, because it was "International Contemporary Cinema". Polish cinema has its own class.

None, because it was "International Contemporary Cinema". Polish cinema has its own class.
You've got to admire the work ethic .