The Best and Worst of 2018 (so far)

Tools    

2018 has been a strange year for cinema. An uneven mix of brainless, tiresome, mainstream blockbusters, and overlooked, underseen, or flat out dismissed independent/art house. And then some even stranger ones that fall some place in the middle. While I have yet to give a perfect score to any release yet, I'm holding out hope that the best films for the second half of the year are being saved for later months, per usual. Still, there have been several highlights sprinkled here and there. Here are my current, subject to change, top 20 films of the year, as well as some dishonorable mentions. Enjoy!

EDIT: As I have now seen quite a few films that I believe deserve to be on this list, I've decided to expand the list from top 15 to top 20. I'm not the most organized of people, so bear with me as I make some adjustments.

UPDATE: As I said below, I've since seen plenty of films that I would add to my top 20 favorites of year, as well as some awful ones. I will be completing the list with the final top 2 as they remain pretty much the same on the list as of this writing. I'll then be adding un-ranked reviews of every other 2018 release I want to see, once the year is up I'll re-evaluate my ratings/rankings and post a final top 20. Sorry for the confusion and the mess, I'm not the most organized of people apparently.

Assassination Nation- (3/4)
Mandy- (3.5/4)

Unsane (Dir. Steven Soderberg)
[★★★]

Unsane contains a premise that isn't all that new, including stalkers, shady psychiatric wards, and a woman who may or may not be losing her mind. On paper we've seen it all before, but with Steven Soderberg as director, we haven't seen it quite this nuts. Unsane (not to be confused with the Argento film) is B-movie madness under the control of a filmmaking master. Filmed on an IPhone, the film contains a jittery, disorienting, style that makes the familiar goings on a lot of fun to watch. and lends the film a sense that it's constantly on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Holding the entire film together is Claire Foye, an actress I had only heard of because of her work on The Crown, but never actually seen before. She is absolutely fantastic here, a force of nature, and fierce as hell. One extended scene later in the film including just her, one other character, and one small room, is a showcase of her brilliant range. If I wasn't a fan of hers going in, I am certainly looking forward to whatever she does next. She's absolutely great in this. Of course the story at play is a bit silly, and if you've ever been to a psyche ward you'll be SCREAMING at this film in frustration, but don't get me wrong, it's also a lot of fun. The finale is surprisingly tense and chilling, and if you're a fan of crazy psychiatric hospital thrillers you'll have a blast with this one. Just don't hold it up to scrutiny when its over.

Revenge

(dir. Coralie Fargeat]
[★★★]

We've seen plenty of rape-revenge films, and Revenge is as straightforward as the rest of them. What differentiates this one, however, is its feminist bent, and especially, its female gaze by a female director. Thus what could have been a gratuitously graphic disposable exploitation film is instead given a sense of a fresh perspective on the subject. I'm not sure if Revenge is the first female directed film of its kind, but its certainly one of the most refreshing. What's interesting is in how restraint is used. The rape itself is upsetting, but the film doesn't focus on it for long, and doesn't go into great detail (basically, this is no Irreversible), instead it's more of a jumping off point to focus on the violence taken on the savage men (read: scumbags) who violate our protagonist. It's also a symbolic story of naive young girl transforming through blazes into a woman. Our main girl is no Beatrix Kiddo, but she is just as bad-ass, resourceful, and savage. The character we see at the beginning of the film is not the same one we see at the end, and Matlida Lutz navigates this role to perfection. She's as cute as a kitten, but as vicious as a panther. Director Coralie Fargeat takes her time in the first act, but once the film takes off on the comeuppance of its many vile male victims, the film becomes a stylish, exciting, and uncompromisingly gruesome thriller. The tension rises from simmer to a boil spilling over. The finale is pure, drawn out, suspense and intensity, leading to a satisfying finale. While this may not redefine this particular sub-genre, it remains one of the best of its kind.

The Strangers: Prey at Night
(dir. Johannes Roberts)
[★★★]

For horror fans, or fans of the original released back in 2008, The Strangers: Prey at Night is a successful sequel that both honors the original while maintaining its own sense of style as it takes the material in fresh, sometimes dazzling, directions. What is so singular about these films is not so much the body count, but how it works as a throwback to vintage slashers but without the satirical wink and nod. It plays it straight and dead serious, taking its time to develop the dynamics of its doomed protagonists. Thus, when the killings do come, they are slightly more sobering and affective, an attribute that is usually locking in modern horror films. With the action taking place in a seemingly deserted trailer park, rather than a single isolated house as in the original, The Strangers: Prey at Night makes thrilling use of its novel setting. Something rarely, if ever used, in other films of its kind. With expert use of lighting, foreboding cinematography, and punctuated by clever usage of 80s hits like Kids In America, Total Eclipse of the Heart, and Cambodia, this is a stylish and frequently entertaining and tense slasher picture. A set-piece taking place near a swimming pool, with neon lit palm trees, and expert sound design and editing, is a memorable highlight. Around the third act the film embraces its genres more absurd tropes, but in subversive and clever ways. Add to this a strong heroine in Bailey Madison that is given quite a satisfying arc, and sparing but effective use of violence, this is a sequel that lives up to the original while forging its own unique path. You may find yourself yelling at the characters at times, but it's all a part of the fun. As a huge fan of the original, I couldn't be more satisfied with the outcome.
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Seems like you're into genre flicks. I feel like 2018 was a really good year for horror films.

Suspect's Reviews

Thoroughbreds (Dir. Cory Finley)
[★★★]

Deliciously dark and humourously bleak before becoming downright chilling. Thoroughbreds is a clever and well-crafted portrait of what happens when a sociopath and psychopath form a twisted bond. Deliberately paced but gorgeously shot, Thoroughbreds is elevated thanks to its wickedly clever script, and a trio of appealing perfomances. Olivia Cooke and Anya Taylor Joy play off each other incredibly well. While there is a certain frigid distance to their characters, it feels appropriate and adds to their alluring complexities. Adding able support is the late, very sadly missed, Anton Yelchin, proving once again why he was such a special actor with a great career ahead of him. This is a morbidly entertaining character piece, mainly dialogue driven, until it's rather shocking final scenes. One extended take near the end is ingenious in how it builds so much tension in such a simple fashion, allowing the implications and the character work to carry the set-piece. While the film may be slow for some, Thoroughbreds rewards the viewer aplenty. One of the over looked gems of the year.

Seems like you're into genre flicks. I feel like 2018 was a really good year for horror films.

Yes, I love the horror genre with a passion. Last year was also a great year for the genre, and this year is shaping up to be another great one. There's some more on the list, plus Suspiria already looks masterful.

Tully (Dir. Jason Reitman)
(★★★)

The last collaboration between director Jason Reitman, writer Diablo Cody, and actress Charlize Theron was Young Adult. A pitch-perfect, acidically funny, razor sharp character study that fearlessly pulled no punches. Their follow up Tully may not be quite as successful, but it remains a fresh, brutally honest, and poignant portrayal of the struggle to embrace adult hood, and the nightmare that is post-partum depression. Charlize Theron delivers yet another captivating, flawless, performance, that is worthy of yet another Oscar nomination. She brings such distinctive depth to her every moment without a hint of vanity that her presence alone elevates the entire picture. Cody continues to mature and grow as a writer, unafraid to dive deep into some dark territory while also acknowledging how absurd life can be when everything seems to be going to ****. She's come a long way since Juno, and it's apparent that she knows the subject matter intimately. Mackenzie Davis is also brilliant and matches Theron along the way, she's lovely and carefree, but holds this almost magical quality about her that keeps you intrigued. Where the film goes in its final act is quite a surprise, but through Reitman's sensative and sometimes fantastical direciton, it all fits together seamlessly. I can only hope that Reitman, Cody, and Theron reteam again in the future. This also works as yet another reason having children is terrifying, right next to We Need to Talk About Kevin.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I feel like the Reitman / Cody pairing never reached the popularity of what they offered us with Juno. Both Tully and Young Adult kind of just came and went. Reitman, unfortunately hasn't had a really good film in years. I still need to see Tully though.

I feel like the Reitman / Cody pairing never reached the popularity of what they offered us with Juno. Both Tully and Young Adult kind of just came and went. Reitman, unfortunately hasn't had a really good film in years. I still need to see Tully though.

Tully is definitely his best since at least Young Adult, but I actually kind of liked Men, Women, & Children. Even if I've only seen it once.

The Rider (Dir. Chloe Zhao)
[★★★]

And the runner-up for the saddest film centraling on a man and horses goes to The Rider, only second to Andrew Haigh's Lean on Pete. A masterful character study and beautifully observant filmmaking resonate deeply. The fact that most of these actors are real people playing themselves makes it all the more heartbreaking. Forgoeing melodrama and false sentimentality, the film develops organically, deeply rooting itself in its particular mileau and allowing the humanity on screen to propel the film forward. The culminative impact is one of heartbreak and hope, bittersweet just as life is for all of us.

Disobedience (Dir. Sebastian Lelio)
[★★★]

Sebastian Leilo's A Fantastic Woman was, well, quite fantastic. His follow up is more grounded and more restrained, but just as passionate and seductive. Rachel Weisz and Rachel McAdams are at the top of their respective powers. Their chemistry is intense and raw and handled with dignity and respect. The much talked about love scene is so tastefully done, and far more erotic for what it doesn't show than what it does. But this is not a sexually driven film, though the tension builds throughout, romantic and otherwise. Ending on a note that is neither earth-shattering or altogether sunny, Disobediance is a mature and graceful drama.

2018 has been a strange year for cinema. An uneven mix of brainless, tiresome, mainstream blockbusters, and overlooked, underseen, or flat out dismissed independent/art house.

This doesn't seem very strange to me and could describe any year.

This doesn't seem very strange to me and could describe any year.

True, it was my way of saying that I thought this year was particularly mediocre. Especially mainstream releases. But it's started to improve since that post, as I've found a lot of recent viewings have made it onto the list, which is why I increased it.

Mission:Impossible- Fallout
[Dir. Christopher McQuarrie]
[★★★]

Fallout is, simply put, the best action film I've seen this year. As the sixth entry in the Mission: Impossible franchise, it shows no signs that this series has started to run out of steam and lack in consistency. It's also a rarity, for a film this late in a series to still be able to provide genuine thrills, pure entertainment, dazzling stuntwork, and characters we've grown to rely on. Say what you want about Tom Cruise, but he's nothing if not a showman. From a skydive through stormy clouds, an exhilerating bathroom fight, exhilerating car and motorcycle chases, and a finale involving dueling helicopters and literal cliffhangers, Cruise busts his ass and takes quite the beating, but his fearlessness in accomplishing his own stunts really adds to the suspense and involvement in the action. Kudos also to relying as much as possible on practical effects rather than CGI overload that we've grown accustomed to. I'm not so sure where they can take this series next, or what big stunt Tom Cruise can accomplish, at this point they might as well send him in to space to kick ass in a space station. And knowing Cruise, he'd probably be all for it. Out of all the films, though, Fallout is up with the best of them (the original, and Ghost Protocol) and is a step-up from the still solid if slightly underwhelming Rogue Nation. It's an absolute blast from start to finish. They could end it on this note, and it would be quite the high one, but I look forward to wherever they take these films next.

13. Mission:Impossible- Fallout
[Dir. Christopher McQuarrie]
[★★★]

Fallout is, simply put, the best action film I've seen this year. As the sixth entry in the Mission: Impossible franchise, it shows no signs that this series has started to run out of steam and lack in consistency. It's also a rarity, for a film this late in a series to still be able to provide genuine thrills, pure entertainment, dazzling stuntwork, and characters we've grown to rely on. Say what you want about Tom Cruise, but he's nothing if not a showman. From a skydive through stormy clouds, an exhilerating bathroom fight, exhilerating car and motorcycle chases, and a finale involving dueling helicopters and literal cliffhangers, Cruise busts his ass and takes quite the beating, but his fearlessness in accomplishing his own stunts really adds to the suspense and involvement in the action. Kudos also to relying as much as possible on practical effects rather than CGI overload that we've grown accustomed to. I'm not so sure where they can take this series next, or what big stunt Tom Cruise can accomplish, at this point they might as well send him in to space to kick ass in a space station. And knowing Cruise, he'd probably be all for it. Out of all the films, though, Fallout is up with the best of them (the original, and Ghost Protocol) and is a step-up from the still solid if slightly underwhelming Rogue Nation. It's an absolute blast from start to finish. They could end it on this note, and it would be quite the high one, but I look forward to wherever they take these films next.
Agree with everything you said above. Plus, the breathtaking cinematography of Paris & the mountains is a bonus.

Worst of the year. I haven't watched any which I'll say is the worst of the year. Yes there may be some silly movies. But the best movie for me was AVENGERS INFINITY WAR. Yeah it was the most Entertaining movie of the year. Other Best Movies include Mission Impossible Fallout, Ready Player One, Black Panther, Annihilation, Deadpool 2 and many more.