New Feature: Seen Log

Tools    

Where can I find the link to my 'seen log' without going here?

And maybe there should be a place, maybe in the top, where it said how many films you have seen (maybe I'm just blind but I don't see it).

Where can I find the link to my 'seen log' without going here?
It's in your User Control Panel.

It was/is sort of a beta test and I'm still deciding what to do with it.
I think I'd get a lot more use out of it if it weren't limited to directors and I could create them myself. Actually make it a sort of tool for users to create their own custom genre movie clubs. Course that would ultimately eclipse the point of Lists, I think.

Originally Posted by Yoda
It's in your profile, though, if you've joined any.
I have not and it does not offer a redirect link so that you can.

Was wondering how to create new clubs, but I'm supposing you can't. Not freely anyway.

Yeah, the Clubs and the Lists are kinda intertwined already, so I need to figure them out simultaneously. Ditto on creating Lists and Clubs.

It's a fine line. In most things it's good to just let people make whatever and sort through it after, but in some cases that's really tricky to do in a way that stays organized and/or doesn't lead to lots of new moderation headaches.

Anyway, www.movieforums.com/clubs for now, at least. I make a special point to choose very intuitive URLs so if you're not sure, you can usually just guess 'em.

So, to summarize, very very very soon I'll add:

1) Add/edit ratings from overlay.
2) Sort by film's release date.
3) Ability to mark films as seen from Seen Log.
4) Display rating somehow on Poster View.
These are done, except for #3. Still want to think a bit about how to do that.

Also made it so sorting by Release Date places markers by year rather than month, since that seems a lot more useful.

These are done, except for #3. Still want to think a bit about how to do that.

Also made it so sorting by Release Date places markers by year rather than month, since that seems a lot more useful.

I noticed one of my movies has a release date of "-0001", I guessed it was because it wasn't assigned a release date on TMDb, but I just checked TMDb and it says 2007 for the date soooo, dunno what happened there.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The MoFos have spoken. I asked you guys what feature you wanted to see next, and you were surprisingly clear that you wanted a way to view/search/sort all the films you've seen, so here you go:

Seen Log

EDIT: suggestions are very, very welcome, but please make sure to read the next post to avoid suggesting things already noted. It's nice and short, and there's a really good chance it contains your suggestion, since this feature is missing a couple of things which are pretty obviously a good idea but I couldn't quite get to in time. Thank you!

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, so please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered, but how does the list get filled?

I clicked on the link to check my list, and I think there are movies on my Seen Log that I haven't actually seen. (But I'm old and my memory is pretty bad, so maybe I just don't remember seeing them. )

Anything you've clicked in the actual Lists section, automatically get added to the Seen Log
Also, if you've written a review, and it gets tagged, that too is automatically added to your Seen Log.

I noticed one of my movies has a release date of "-0001", I guessed it was because it wasn't assigned a release date on TMDb, but I just checked TMDb and it says 2007 for the date soooo, dunno what happened there.
We cache the data from TMDb so the release was probably added after it was copied here. Can you PM/profile comment/whatever the movie in question my way?

Bumping this.

So, after more than a month, anyone have any developed thoughts about this? IE: it's not convenient enough, you'd use it more if there were a form to add films more easily, or on the home page, or something, etc?

Yeah, that's actually part of what I'm asking. I assume it's pretty much working, but if it's too out of the way to get updated, or a pain to update, etc...that's good to know, too!

This feature can either be a nice little perk, or a central feature. It's an open question. If people really want this place to be more about logging their activity, then it might make sense to put these kinds of things front and center, for example, or at least not just tuck them into the User CP. Not sure if people want that, though, or if people do, but the group here is already self-selected for people more interested in other stuff, because they all joined before it was here.

Web development is hard.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If I don't see a button to click on....I forget about it.

Still wouldn't mind seeing a Seen Count.

Suspect's Reviews

I think it should definitely be added to the top bar in the rainbow links
I think I've figured by now that you're pretty attached to how they've been laid out for the past few years, but I reckon replace the Lists link with the Seen Log.

Lists are accessible by a handful of other means, from the pop-up in the avatars, to just hitting the Profile page and it's there... whereas the Seen Log, being new and all, is only clickable via going into the User CP and looking for it.
I've ended up saving it as a Favourite in my header bar on my browser as that's easier than actually using MoFo tbh.

Just a thought

Yep, makes sense.

I'm reworking some stuff like the menu soon, so I have to make some pretty big decisions about how people do (and how people should/will/whatever) use the site going forward, which obviously influences what gets put in the header, too.

Yeah, that's probably the plan.

I'm kinda irked that all this time attaching colors to areas in people's minds is going to get reset, but oh well. Gotta be done.

If it helps at all I'm colour blind when it comes to the web anyway

Is it possible to sync my Seen Log to something like an IMDb profile?
Maybe. In which direction? Here to IMDB or (more likely) IMDB to here?

In theory I can probably write some kind of importer if IMDB gives you an export option of some kind. Lemme know.