Subtitles

Tools    

Why do some discs disable the "subtitle" button on the remote and make people go through the menus to turn on or off the subtitles? I hate that (I hate it because those discs make it impossible for me to turn the subtitles off. The only way my DVD player lets me turn subtitles off is through the button. The menus don't work to turn them off).

So far, I've only noticed it on "Bring It On" and now on "Heartbreakers". To me, it makes the movies unwatchable since I cannot turn off the subtitles (If I want to look at subtitles, I'll watch a foreign film). But I would also think that it would make it harder for customers who might actually want to change the subtitles without having to stop the movie and going to a menu.

Of course, why a company would make a DVD player where one has to turn off the subtitles everytime he watches a movie is beyond me, too. I guess the answer is just going to have to be for me to throw this player away and buy one that actually works.

But I still don't like the way the subtitles are set up on those movies. The manufacturers put a button on the remote for a reason. Might as well make use of it.

What kind of player do you have? Some will have 'work-arounds' that I could give you so you don't need the menus.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

It's a piece of crap KLH DVD221 that the jokers at Best Buy refused to replace when I made them aware of the subtitle problem.

The only thing I've got that might work on that player is this work-around.

Press the 'Subtitle' button, then press 'Clear' or '0' (zero).

Hopefully, this will work for you.

Nope. No go on that.

But thanks for trying.

Somebody who does DVD reviews needs to note when the DVD has the menu-based subtitles so I know not to buy those titles (I had managed to avoid it until today when I bought Heartbreakers. I wonder if Best Buy will take that back. Too bad, too, because I liked that movie and was looking forward to the disc).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Does anyone know a translator? I found a Portuguese subtitle, but Google only allows 2,000 characters at a time, and at that rate, I'd be at this all day.