Snapshots of History.

Tools    

Learner driver is correct, what decade is it from?
Coats and ties were not worn to high school classes in the 1950s, but yet the hair and dress styles do look like the '50s era. So I'd say mid 1950s.

Well this looks like a subway - though from the light coming through the windows it could be an elevated train.
Which cities have els? Here in USA it could be: Chicago, Philly, NYC. Not sure of the historical significance tho, other than these riders do not seem enamored of any sort of fashion code.

Well this looks like a subway - though from the light coming through the windows it could be an elevated train.
Which cities have els? Here in USA it could be: Chicago, Philly, NYC. Not sure of the historical significance tho, other than these riders do not seem enamored of any sort of fashion code.
What are els? It is one of those three places. What is the decade?

This is definitely a pic of a NYC subway car from the 1970s. They were a filthy mess. I remember them well...

If that's correct, here's an iconic picture from what event? For a bonus what was is the structure pictured in the top left?

The “el” is an elevated train, which still exist in parts of NYC. Here is a photo of the No. 7 train, which runs from Manhattan to its terminal in Flushing, Queens. (Which is where I met my husband. )

If that's correct, here's an iconic picture from what event? For a bonus what was is the structure pictured in the top left?
It’s the New York World’s Fair from 1964. Photo is horribly small & cannot identify which structure you are speaking of.

Is it the Flushing Meadows US Open tennis center?

Right answer, Stirch. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to load a larger picture. That's the old Shea Stadium at the top left.

The iconic "Unisphere", which I believe is still there, is a the center of the pic.

You're turn...

The “el” is an elevated train, which still exist in parts of NYC. Here is a photo of the No. 7 train, which runs from Manhattan to its terminal in Flushing, Queens. (Which is where I met my husband. )

It’s the New York World’s Fair from 1964. Photo is horribly small & cannot identify which structure you are speaking of.

Is it the Flushing Meadows US Open tennis center?
That reminds me of the old "red rattler" trains that ran on Sydney tracks for decades.

Who are these 3 women & what is the event?
I'll guess it's the sad occasion of Princess Diana's death and funeral. The ladies are probably her relations. Don't know their names.

Right answer, Stirch. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to load a larger picture. That's the old Shea Stadium at the top left.

The iconic "Unisphere", which I believe is still there, is a the center of the pic.

You're turn...
Ironically, several years back I went to a ball game at Shea (forget what it's called now) and nearby there were still various remnants from the World's Fair including the Unisphere.

AND... my family went to the 64 World's Fair and they always told a story about how my mother could not go on a log flume (or some ride) because she was pregnant with me!

This post will stay dead for two days so another to keep it chugging along.

where and when?
Let's see... we've got what looks like a white guy in a military uniform next to a black guy in a military uniform addressing a group of black men in civilian clothes.
So, this looks like some sort of military recruitment when men were still segregated in the armed forces by race. So for the U.S. that could be anywhere up until the end of WWII.

So my guess (based on these factors) is that this may be a photo from Tuskegee circa 1941 of the famous airmen before they were trained to be pilots???

Let's see... we've got what looks like a white guy in a military uniform next to a black guy in a military uniform addressing a group of black men in civilian clothes.
So, this looks like some sort of military recruitment when men were still segregated in the armed forces by race. So for the U.S. that could be anywhere up until the end of WWII.

So my guess (based on these factors) is that this may be a photo from Tuskegee circa 1941 of the famous airmen before they were trained to be pilots???
Good guess, but I wonder why they're aboard a ship?...And there's a cowboy among them. I wonder what the drill sergeant had to say to the new recruit in a cowboy hat-with a chin strap? I got think that wasn't the best head gear to wear in WWII.

Good guess, but I wonder why they're aboard a ship?...And there's a cowboy among them. I wonder what the drill sergeant had to say to the new recruit in a cowboy hat-with a chin strap? I got think that wasn't the best head gear to wear in WWII.
Good eye, Rules... I didn't even notice the background (and didn't realize they're on a ship)!

Maybe it's the Tuskegee Airmen on their way to Europe?