Any Theories On Why Some People Just Look Instead of Post?

Tools    

I was just wondering why there are so many views to a thread as opposed to the number of posts? If a thread is so popular to "guests", why can't we hear from them? I'd like to hear some theories--from regular contributors and from this forum's guests. The way message board users think--is also interesting to me.

Register and let yourself be heard!!!!! Woo Hoo!

The guests are afraid of our throbbing brains, that's why! Hee hee. Frankly, I noticed that here too. There are always guests hanging around, but they don't post nuthin. Maybe they work for Dino DeLaurentis; they are going to cast us all in a MOVIE!

COMMISH DE BERGERAC
WART DE FLORETTE
THE LAST TEMPTATION OF MR. FONG
PULP PIGSNIE
STOP! OR ZEPHYRUS WILL SHOOT!
A PRAYER FOR JAMESGLEWISF

[Ha, watch this thread get 300 views and 5 responses.]

Well--I get the sense that some people are scared to post--I've spoken to people in chat rooms about message boards. They feel safer in chat rooms because the chat rooms seem ephermal. THey disappear and it doesn't matter how inane their chat is. (DO you have an AOL account? The chat that goes on is at the point of illiteracy but no one seems to care.

On message boards--they're telling me that the stuff is there forever and people have the leisure to criticize them. Its interesting that the "permanence" of a forum is what a lot of people don't like. Its the opposite for me. Looking at past threads is fascinating to me. You read what people believe in. You don't get that in chat rooms. I believe people in chat don't think as much about what they put down so you probably will never get a sense of who they really are.

I hate chat. (And I have several AOL accounts.) By the time I have answered a question, ten people have answered before moi, and my response just hangs there like a disembodied ghost, unwanted, unloved.

I agree with you, Wart -- message boards are better; at least, you get a sense of that special personality behind every post. As for people actually being "too scared to post," for heaven's sake, WHY?
No one's being graded here for spelling, grammar or sentence structure. Just write down what you think, and we shall all be richer for the experience.

MovieForums Extra
I think that precisely is what they're scared of...they might be afraid to voice their opinions lest they look stupid - I guess the old axiom "Better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" still holds true!

I find that I have to think carefuly about my posts sometimes, in order not to sound stupid, convey the wrong message, or plain and simply to make sure that what I intended to say has been conveyed...I must admit, I too was very nervous when I first signed on, constantly worried about what other members thought about my posts (but now I am mod I'm not that worried, I can just edit theirs out)!!

So if Chris makes all his regulars (lemme see---after 250 posts) moderators, there will be a FLOOD of NEW POSTERS just coming out of the woodwork!!!! Sounds like a great idea!!!!

Hehehe. I just might.

I think you're right about the Forum .VS. Chat debate. Those who are not bold enough to speak up in general, are more likely to chat online, than to post online.

I hear now and then that this person or that person wasn't sure whether or not they should speak up, but for me it's a non-issue. If I'm registered somewhere (and sometimes when I'm not), and I see something I strongly feel like replying to, I do it. It's as simple as that.

Anyway, it is the nature of ALL forums, not just this one. Oh well.

MovieForums Extra
But the point is that if they prefer chat, then there are plenty of chat rooms out there! The point of the forum is to come and post about things they find in common...

I do have some theories in the works, by the way, to help turn our users into posters. EVERY forum has the problem we've discussed here -- overcoming it is quite difficult, but I think I can help a bit.

Since this post is going to be here forever I'd like to take this moment to say: I can't taste butter.
Thank you. Maybe someday they'll invent a cure for me and I can look back on this and laugh.

So what are your theories TWT? maybe you can fix this board so that if anyone clicks a thread they will win a picture of thmilin.
And you are weird sunfrog with your butter thoughts. Me I like marmalade meself

Well, one involves email updates to remind them to come back -- contests, tying other areas of the site (they're coming!) with the forums, and things like that. I'm confident I can make it so that either more users post, or the users that do post are more loyal. Right now we have a very loyal bunch, and it's taken almost no intervention on my part.

I'm sticking around 'cause I want to see the picture of Thmilin. Also 'cause I'm scared you might throw a can of soup at my head if I try to leave. Lol.

There's 21 guests on right now. This is insane.

I've seen over 30 on. I have to suspect that there's a bug in the software The upgrade will fix it. If, after the upgrade, we see those numbers, then it must be true -- no doubt about it then.

Oh, by the way: 101 of the (currently) 395 members on these forums have NEVER posted. In addition, the top ten most prolific posters account for around 7,000 of the 11,700+ posts on these forums. Just thought you all might find that interesting/

So who are the top 10 prolifickys? [crossin me fingers]

I know I'm in the Top Ten, as re you PigsnieLite.

BTW, about half of those 7,000 posts are accounted for by the Top Two posters (TWT and OG-).

Oh oh, Sunfrogs catchin up to me & Im not even in the Top 5!
Must. post. some. hmore. [capt. krik impersonation]