TV miniseries movies

Tools    

Watched the first episode of Legion. It's on FX and on some streaming channels. It was evidently originally aired during February and march. If the first episode is any indication of what the remaining seven episodes will be, this is a phenomenal series.

Written by the great Noah Hawley (of the Fargo series fame), who is also Showrunner, it's part of the X-Men universe, but without the capes & costumes, and with much more emphasis on story and style. The protagonist, David Haller (acted by Dan Stevens) is the mutant son of the X-Men's Charles Xavier, but the superhero approach is obviously avoided.

It also stars Rachel Keller (of Fargo, 2nd season), Aubrey Plaza, and includes the incomparable Jean Smart.

This is a quirky stylized comedy/drama which put me in mind of a cross between Fargo and The Grand Budapest Hotel. The development is confusing at first, especially if one is not familiar with the Legion comic book character, but will doubtless settle down as the series progresses. There are some excellent special effects and set designs, which perfectly accompany the action. The editing will surely win awards.

It'll be interesting to see if the series can maintain its frenetic first episode. But nevertheless it has the feel of a great series.

~Doc

I watched the excellent FEUD a short while back. It was complulsive viewing over five nites. For those not familiar with the mini series, the storyline centres round the decades long slanging match, no holds barred cat fite between screen legends Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. The dispute, to put it mildly, came to a head during the filming of the Hitchcock 1962 B flick Whatever Happened To Baby Jane. About two aging sisters living in a run down Hollywood mansion and hating each others guts for something that happened when both were young woman. In my opinioin one of the best pieces of cinema Bette Davis did in a distinguished career.
I digress. The mini series stars two of todays finest thespians in Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford and Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis. I simply loved this five parter to bits. I was transfixed by the setting, the general atmosphere of sixties Hollywood and above all the sensitive telling of the crumbling careers of two of Holywood royalty during its Golden Era. The acting by Lange and Sarandon was top shelf as was Australian Judy Davis in the role of a caustic Hedda Hopper. English actor Alfred Molina puts in a fine performance as WHTBJ director Robert Aldrich who mediates with aplomb the constant bickering between his co stars. FEUD is destined to take out several Emmy awards. I could not recommend this more to those MoFos who have yet to see it. I give FEUD 9 out of 10.

Spookie, I plan to watch The Feud very soon. Good review.

Spookie, I plan to watch The Feud very soon. Good review.
Thank you. I tell you you will not be disappointed. One of the best pieces of American television I have seen for a good while.