The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies

→ in
Tools    

To Nope,
Just out of curiosity, how will you correlate the lists? Is there an program or something (like an Excel spreadsheet?)
I hope he uses Daniel's famous Excel spreadsheet. It's said to be quite easy to work with.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
To Nope,
Just out of curiosity, how will you correlate the lists? Is there an program or something (like an Excel spreadsheet?)
I made my own excel spreadsheet before realizing that Daniel had already made one. It's actually pretty simple to make.

I have to spend tonight calculating some of the final lists. When I wake up I will start the thread an post the first two films!
Wuhuu! I'm excited!

Will we get a one-pointer list?

What about whichever placed highest on individual lists? If the tied films had the same highest placement, then I guess you could go with whichever received the most votes at that number.

For example: Film A and Film B are tied for points, were on the same number of lists, and both made it as high as #5 on individual lists. Film A received 2 #5 votes, but Film B received 3 #5s, so Film B would win in this case.

As soon as I figure out how to break these ties.
The way to do it in the past has been to give to the one with the most votes, and if that doesn't work, then to the one with the highest vote, or next highest if those are the same.

Confession time: with only 25 films to choose from, I didn't place a single Star Wars movie on my list! After all, it was a science fiction list, not fantasy! (Let the arguments begin!)

Confession time: with only 25 films to choose from, I didn't place a single Star Wars movie on my list! After all, it was a science fiction list, not fantasy! (Let the arguments begin!)
You are saying it's not sci-fi? Sure, it's in the past, but science fiction doesn't have to be in the future...

Science fiction is a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life.

Star Wars has all of that and more.

You are saying it's not sci-fi? Sure, it's in the past, but science fiction doesn't have to be in the future...

Science fiction is a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life.

Star Wars has all of that and more.
I know. It has sci-fi elements.

But it is largely fantasy - first it's not based on anything known, whereas sf about future or past Earth (or any of its current inhabitants) is based on a real place and speculation of how known lifeforms might deal with theoretical ones.

Star Wars doesn't hold true to the laws of physics except where the plot calls for it - the same could be said of a lot of sci-fi too if the writing is lazy, but the point is that it takes place in a realm (universe or galaxy) where known science doesn't even need to be considered if the storytellers don't want it to (whereas, more reality-based sci-fi usually has stricter science to attempt to adhere to). Especially when any limitations of science can be instantly overcome or superseded by the supernatural.

It's largely a story about the supernatural - Jedis are basically warrior monks whose philosophy is based on a religion.

Sure, the argument could be made that the "supernatural" is just science we don't know about yet, but a more objective argument would be that the supernatural doesn't exist at all, but is a man-made concoction to explain that which we don't yet understand. But in the Star Wars universe the supernatural is a given and to be taken as fact as a plot element (thus more speculative religious / mythological fantasy than science).

Star Wars is basically Lord of the Rings with some spaceships and ray guns thrown in.