News

Tools    

Pleased to see it looks like something is being done about the 200+ schoolgirls missing in Nigeria. It only took three weeks. but at least something's happening now.

I hear they're hoping to rescue them before they're sold. I'd have thought they were, at least, a good two weeks too late. I thought that'd happen when I heard of the abduction, seeing as there hasn't been any ransom demand or anything.

I think it was only last week, I think, that I saw anything about this in the newspapers, and that was just a small column on the front page of either The Guardian or The Independent. I can't remember which. Even then, it was about the protesting parents who were demanding something from the authorities, rather than the crime itself.

Can you imagine if 200+ schoolgirls were abducted from the UK or the US? It would've been front page news from the moment it happened and, not only would people be demanding they be found, but people would be sacked for it having happened.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Pleased to see it looks like something is being done about the 200+ schoolgirls missing in Nigeria. It only took three weeks. but at least something's happening now.
Jay Carney (any relation to Art... Duh, Ralph) Says the United States will "assist" but says that Nigeria is responsible for the safety of the girls.

How will Jay sound when the White House is taken over by Bozo Harams?

Nigeria: "Sorry Jay: The United States is not on our "To Do" list, but we'll send you a couple bucks to tide you over."

I hear they're hoping to rescue them before they're sold. I'd have thought they were, at least, a good two weeks too late. I thought that'd happen when I heard of the abduction, seeing as there hasn't been any ransom demand or anything.

I think it was only last week, I think, that I saw anything about this in the newspapers, and that was just a small column on the front page of either The Guardian or The Independent. I can't remember which. Even then, it was about the protesting parents who were demanding something from the authorities, rather than the crime itself.

Can you imagine if 200+ schoolgirls were abducted from the UK or the US? It would've been front page news from the moment it happened and, not only would people be demanding they be found, but people would be sacked for it having happened.
The video of the Boko Haram leader grinning and puffed up with pride talking about the girls was sickening. The footage of all those girls little frightened faces enveloped in swathes of dark cloth was really upsetting . Nigeria is a rich country but needs to wake up and act before they get overwhelmed.

Nigeria is, indeed, a rich country, however, as with most of these mineral rich countries, the money siphoned out of the country, facilitated by corrupt officials and naive business practices is never seen by the populace.

This is nothing new, of course.

I find the news that Michael Gove (Minister for Education) has had To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men dropped from the UK GCSE curriculum (that's the exams we have at 16 in case you don't know.

I've worked as a teaching assistant for quite a few years in the past and seen how students love those books. Of Mice and Men is particularly good for kids who don't read much, its short length and themes of learning disability and bullying are really valuable. As for To Kill a Mockingbird, well the fact that it's on so many adults most well loved books lists attests to its place in peoples hearts. What a shame

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27563466

So sad to read of the death of British aid worker Alan Henning at the hands of Islamic State . My heart goes out to his wife who has made so many appeals for mercy, it's really upsetting. It's hard to understand the mentality behind the killers reasoning. Surely Islam is one religion that appreciates the help people give to each other. So sorry for his family.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It brings tears to your eyes, doesn't it? It's pretty obvious that IS want to goad the US and Britain into a war and they're doing it in the most brutal, inhumane way possible.

It does. It also shows they have no proper regard for their own religion as Mr Henning was apparently found innocent in their own Sharia court, IS have ignored this as well as ignoring the pleas from Imams as well as ordinary Muslims from around the world.

This story about the guy walking again after a groundbreaking cell transplant operation is amazing. Mind you, he's put the work into it. Physio 5 hours a day , 5 days a week was probably pretty gruelling. Best of luck to him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29645760

After the inhumane massacre of 132 children and 9 staff in the school in Peshawar by the Taliban , it's heartrending to hear from the BBC reporter this morning that children are turning up for school this morning in uniform as a protest.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It was crazy seeing that shooting live.... Not prepared for that. Even crazier being a disgruntled employee, and the photographer's fiance was producing the show watching him shot, her last day....