USS Fitzgerald Collision - How?

Tools    

Are there any other U.S. Navy veterans here with service more recent than my own (mid-seventies)? If so, how could this happen?

Regarding this tragedy with seven dead and several injured including the captain, when I was stationed aboard a heavy cruiser, while at sea we had to stand open air watches. I thought such was insipid and anachronistic. I remember standing forecastle watch in the Arctic Circle, freezing my, er, anatomy off, and thinking to myself what a waste of time this is. By the time my mates and I and could see anything, radar would have long ago picked it up. That conclusion seemed obvious to me whenever a ship came into sight and we reported such to the bridge by the bored tone of the crewman whom we were charged to report such to. I remember once in playful annoyance telling my watch mate with the radio that after the Norwegian coast had just come into view to report: “Land Ho!” (Gees, I always wanted to say that!) He thought it was corny but I insisted and he dutifully reported: “My idiot watch mate says to tell you: ‘Land Ho!’” I could hear the laughter from a few feet away from the radio headset.

Well, after this contemporary tragedy, I’m wondering if the Navy has since actually taken my suggestion and has now consigned the lookout to the trash heap of history and nautical movies. If so, maybe we were both wrong. If not, even if the radar and collision avoidance system aboard the destroyer were malfunctioning for some reason, how could a lookout not see a huge freighter coming right at his ship from miles away? If lookouts have been discontinued and If radar was out, wouldn’t human lookouts be promptly posted?

Does any more recent squid vet have any input? Thanks.

Regarding my question, here is a quote from a CNN article:

“An early assessment suggests the container ship might have been on some type of autopilot system at the time of the collision, the official said.

"However, that does not explain how and why the crew of the Fitzgerald did not see the other ship coming, or why they were unable to maneuver away from it, the official said." [Emphasis added]

What I added emphasis to is exactly what my question in the post addressed. As a former sailor in the USN, I find this tragic accident incomprehensible.:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/22/politi...gation-update/

Hi Don - my dad was in the Navy - he was a gunner's mate during the Korean War.

His story was unusual in that he enlisted in the Navy for two years. Upon completing his tour he returned home to find a draft notice inducting him into the army as the Korean War just broke out. So he went down to the draft board and explained that he had just served his stint in the Navy. They said, "Fine, you need say no more. In that case, we'll just put you BACK into the Navy." So they still drafted him, put him back in the navy and sent him to Korea.

Hi Don - my dad was in the Navy - he was a gunner's mate during the Korean War.

His story was unusual in that he enlisted in the Navy for two years. Upon completing his tour he returned home to find a draft notice inducting him into the army as the Korean War just broke out. So he went down to the draft board and explained that he had just served his stint in the Navy. They said, "Fine, you need say no more. In that case, we'll just put you BACK into the Navy." So they still drafted him, put him back in the navy and sent him to Korea.
That’s a rather tragic-humorous story. Thanks for recounting it here.

My only recently late uncle (92) was a crusty but lovable character. He had enlisted in the army before Pearl Harbor. For active duty servicemen, the rule was: “Enlistment extended for the duration.” I asked him if when his enlistment was up (during the war) was he officially notified that he was now a conscript. He said no, they never said a word. I then inquired if he went to HQ and asked about it. He retorted: “No, I didn’t want to give them the satisfaction!”

I don't understand how the draft board wasn't aware that your dad was already in the service when they sent out their: "Greetings from the president...." letter. Some bureaucratic mix-up, I suppose. (On the ship, we would sometimes entertain ourselves while broke and stuck aboard by filling out enlistment information postcards found in magazines for the other services while giving the ship as our return address. )

I had never, however, heard of your dad’s particular situation, though when I was in, at least, when one’s enlistment had expired one remained in the inactive reserves for two years subject to recall. I suppose that was the situation with your dad. Please thank him for his service if he is still with us. If not, I shall remember him in my prayers.