Upcoming all time great directors

Tools    

This is for people who are young/don't have huge bodies of work that you believe could be all time greats.

Spike Jonze. Everything he's done (including Where the Wild Things Are) has been A+ material I think. Very interesting thinker.

The films I look forward to the most from young directors come from Sarah Polley, Jeff Nichols, and Rian Johnson.

When Christopher Nolan finishes his career he would be great/greatest, depending on what he does over the next few decades.

When Christopher Nolan finishes his career he would be great/greatest, depending on what he does over the next few decades.
I think his cap is as a top forty director of so. He does really good work, but he already has a fairly substantial body of work and has pretty clear limitations. I do think though, that he tends to be overrated by the masses and underrated by film buffs.

Ben Affleck has only made 3 movies-Gone Baby Gone, The Town, and Argo. That's a pretty good start.
Excellent start... and if he continues like this, I could absolutely see him being a top 60 or 70 director ever. But if he really wants to reach the upper echelons, he needs to have a 2001 type flick that I don't believe him to be capable of. I really think about that sometimes - how would Kubrick's reputation be different if he didn't have that abstract masterpiece. Affleck's absolutely good and competent, but it's yet to be seen if he's really capable of something truly special.

Another interesting note - Steve McQueen and Ben Affleck both won on their third movies, and both times I felt it was their worst. Hunger>Shame>12. Gone>Town>Argo.

The films I look forward to the most from young directors come from Sarah Polley, Jeff Nichols, and Rian Johnson.
I really like Jeff Nichols. Take Shelter was my favorite film of that year, and Mud was fantastic as well. I definitely look forward to anything he has to make.

Excellent start... and if he continues like this, I could absolutely see him being a top 60 or 70 director ever. But if he really wants to reach the upper echelons, he needs to have a 2001 type flick that I don't believe him to be capable of. I really think about that sometimes - how would Kubrick's reputation be different if he didn't have that abstract masterpiece. Affleck's absolutely good and competent, but it's yet to be seen if he's really capable of something truly special.

Another interesting note - Steve McQueen and Ben Affleck both won on their third movies, and both times I felt it was their worst. Hunger>Shame>12. Gone>Town>Argo.
Yes that's kind of what I was thinking, not a top 10 director or anything like that, but maybe an Eastwood type directing career.

My favorite contemporary director is christopher mcquarrie.
He's only directed two films (The Way of the Gun, Jack Reacher) and he wrote the screenplays for both.

Now he is currently filming MI:5.
Never been a huge fan of the series but I'm excited about this one with mcquarrie at the helm.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
What about Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Tsai Ming-Liang
They're not upcoming. They already are.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Trey Edward Schults. Krisha was excellent in my opinion, the guy came up working on Terence Malick films and he's only in his 20s or early 30s; can't find his age for some reason. Looking forward to what else he comes up with, next he's making a psychological thriller called It Comes At Night with Joel Edgerton.

Upcoming all time, sound vague to me but I'll like to see career of some of this name in decades
Jeff nichol
Denis villeneve
Joji fukunaga
Tetsuichiro Tsuta
Xavier dolan - I don't even see his work yet, so my fallacy

This might just do nobody any good.
Yep, came here to say Villeneuve. He's an all timer for me already, actually. Polytechnique, Incendies and Enemy are all masterpieces.

Damien Chazelle as well, haven't seen La La Land but I've heard nothing but good things. Whiplash was my favorite of 2014 as well.

Others:

Alex Garland
Cary Fukunaga (good call, resopamenic)
Pablo Larrain
Ryan Coogler
Taika Waititi
Bong Joon-ho

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I think his cap is as a top forty director of so. He does really good work, but he already has a fairly substantial body of work and has pretty clear limitations. I do think though, that he tends to be overrated by the masses and underrated by film buffs.
I disagree. I think he's better than you're giving him credit for. The Dark Knight, Interstellar, Memento, and The Prestige were top-of-the-line films in my book. And, he's not done yet. I also don't really think there's any reason to believe he has clear limitations. The guy's made a lot of great films, and how it usually works, a great artist will eventually improve on or work toward bettering themselves beyond their limitations. That's just kinda how it works. You apply yourself and oftentimes, you get better.

A yeah I missed, I missed damien chazelle there with whiplash which is really impressive. la la land is look like another holywood musical but probably I'll break my own barrier for that .
Seems I'll check deus ex machina by alex garland again as I despised it before

Bong-jon hoo and also park chan wook, kim di duk, I think already established and redefined korean cinema in curent decade. Their works probably already considered in "all time" circle as well.