Golden Age Comedy Hall of Fame (1952-1976)

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'll be posting Divorce; American Style tomorrow night and I'll be watching Singing in the Rain tomorrow or the next night and that'll wrap it up for me.

Divorce American Style(1967) satire is a tricky thing, great satire can hold up for generations while weaker satire is very much a thing of it's time. I know a number of people didn't like this film so I decided to look something up which I kinda knew but it needs to be said.

Jason Robards - div. 1958
Dick Van Dyke - div. 1984(though he lived with a different woman for much of the marriage)
Debbie Reynolds - div. 1959
Jean Simmons - div 1960
Norman Lear - div 1956
Van Johnson - div 1968

So it is my theory that this film was definitely a product of it's time from individuals a bit too close to the subject matter. Here's the funny thing though I enjoyed quite a few scenes in the movie. I also enjoyed a number of the bells and whistles. You have a great score, it's shot by Conrad Hall who is one of the great cinematographers of all time (and you notice it) and the screen is consistently attempting to be inventive.

But yeah the film does fail to really come together, most of the jokes are funnier in setup than execution. You don't really feel much in the way of chemistry for the leads and when it;s all said and done the movie feels like 6 sitcom episodes strung together.

Divorce; American Style

David Grieff: Well now, to the property settlement. I've prepared a list here of major items of community property with some suggestions as to how they may be distributed amongst the parties.
Richard Harmon: [looking at the list] Seems to be fair. Split right down the middle. The house to Barbara; the mortgage payments to me. The furnishings, colour TV and piano to Barbara; the monthly payments to me. The insurance benefits to Barbara; the premiums to me. The uranium in our uranium mine to Barbara...
David Grieff: Uranium mine?
Richard Harmon: And the shaft to me!

Written by the Seventies Sitcom/Spin-Off King, Norman Lear, this satire that hits home a little TOO accurately, reminds me of some of the more serious scenarios that Lear had inserted into such TV shows as All in The Family when discussing some very important issues of the time without sugar coating them. Like when he introduced a transvestite character who was a good friend of Edith, who, later, would be beaten to death because of being "different". I remember the touching moment of Edith's heartbreak of being unable to understand why such a beautiful soul would be so brutalized.

We see this here. The harshness of the situation taking the wind out of the comedic endeavors nearly every time.

Except for one, for me.
The ending, as the Harmons walk into their home, having decided to reconcile and be together again. Their boys, upstairs, hear them over the heating vent as they start to argue. Both kids smile. It's a home again and mom and dad are arguing again.
Such a realistic view of two people in a long term relationship put a smile on my face and i appreciated the ending all the more for it.

I also noticed a lot of scenes were chock full of subtleties displaying such detailed emotions on everyone's faces. It made the opening of the Conductor standing on the top of the hill and conducting, not merely the opening music/operatic actions of the couples bickering, but of the entire film's actions and scenarios. The cast is the symphony and each instrument's nuance is vital and expressed to further the overall music.

As I said, this satire hits home TOO accurately upon a very tender vein and while it attempts to show the foolishness of it and of the way divorce is handled, the indifference of divorce lawyers more interested in playing golf with one another, and divorcees who seek out marriage just to stop alimony payments and the messed up circle that all of it is; I felt more sympathy and pity for the characters than amusement.

Still, a well conducted satire and worthwhile film.

so all the ballots are in and here's a teaser for you...

5 different Films received #1 picks
4 different Films received #2 picks
5 different Films received #3 picks

and that makes up eight films, so six of the nominees did not even finish top three from their own nominators.

Now the inverse is when it gets really exciting because while the top films are easy

5 different films received #14 picks
6 different films received #13 picks
4 different films received #12 picks

and that made up eleven different films, so only three nominees did not register a bottom three slot

Singing in the Rain

[after Cosmo's car breaks down]
Don Lockwood: Don't tell me, it's a flat tire.
Cosmo Brown: I can't undertand it. This car hasn't given me a lick of trouble in nearly 6 hours.

Like a few others, I am of the mind that O'Connor is the better of the two dancers between him and Gene Kelly.
Which, in it's self, is a battle of the titans since both are absolutely exceptional, but I watch Kelly and I see a technical master who "presents" himself with a professional air. Right down to the technically adjusted theatrical smile and other emotional presentation.
O'Connor is fluid, relaxed, and it all appears very natural. As does his smile and delivery of both witty lines and acrobatic dance numbers/prat falls.

That said, I am very glad to have finally seen this film in its entirety. Using what actually happened during the beginning of "talkies" where voice actors filled in for actors whose voice didn't work all that great, set up as a musical/comedy. An amusing scenario since the debut film for the beloved Hollywood couple that hate one another becomes just that: a musical.
The dance numbers are exuberant and a delight to watch. The supporting actors, much like backup dancers highlight and compliment those in the limelight, did exactly that.

@Siddon when are you planning on doing the reveal?

I don't think I'm going to do it at one point, I'm going to spread it out over the next couple days. I want to make sure the math is correct because we had a lot of close votes.

14th Place....
23 Points

This delicious and slightly twisted comic confection from the mind of Norman Lear is a delight from beginning to end and if you've never seen it, it's worth a look.

Divorce American Style (6, 11, 12, 12, 13, 14, 14)

• Divorce American Style was actually not in a position to get blown out it was in a tight race with another title but that one received a lot of late support.

13th place

Hobson's Choice 36 pts

Hobson's Choice (8, 8, 8, 10, 11, 11, 13)

A charm and wit that encompasses the entirety of the film.
Something that doesn't always work out elsewhere, where the remaining scenes and characters appear as filler or feel unimportant.
Here, the movie shines throughout as does the remaining cast all the way down the doctor who treats Henry Hobson.

• Hobson's choice had likely the closest consensus of votes, only 6 spots between it's best and worst place with the majority having it between three spots.

• This was the widest gap between the votes at 13 points.

12th Place is....

Doesn't exist(unless I did the math wrong) because we've got a tie...that you'll find out.

Divorce American Style was my #13 and Hobson's Choice was my #11. Both solid movies but I liked others in this HoF a lot more.

I had Divorce American Style at 12 and Hobson's Choice at 8. I did enjoy Hobson's Choice and in another HoF it might have been higher on my list. But this HoF there were so many good films to choose from that it got bumped down my list. I'd never seen either film so I'm glad they were both nominated.

Divorce American Style was at #14 and Hobson's Choice was at #8.
Like already said, the whole list of films was great and low placements were merely due to others being enjoyed more.

11th Place with 43 points....

The Odd Couple (6,7, 8, 8, 11, 11, 11)

This teaming of Lemmon and Matthau turned out to be comic gold that was re-visited in nine other films. With both of these actors no longer with us, the viewing of this classic becomes more touching but no less hilarious. Simon's play has been nicely expanded for the screen with a silent prologue chronicling a depressed Felix's suicide attempt that is a winner

Teachers Pet (4, 5, 9, 10, 10, 12, 12)

This movie makes me wish that Clark Gable and Doris Day had made more movies together. They had terrific chemistry in this movie. I love how they start out as total opposites, but as the movie goes on, they realize that the other may be right about their opinion.

• Not only did the films tie but they managed to score 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12. Neither film managed a top three or bottom two score

The Odd Couple was my #8 and Teacher's Pet was my #12. Liked both, loved neither.