Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Grammar Nazis aren't anything bad. Nazis on the other hand...

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Coen Brothers Marathon Sunday:

O Brother Where Are Thou? - This is just a classic film, full of hilarious performances, clever dialogue, and an amazing soundtrack.

Intolerable Cruelty - I hadn't seen this one til today. One of their lesser flicks, but still fun. A dark comedy takedown of rom coms, with George Clooney as a successful but not too bright divorce lawyer and Catherine Zeta Jones as the woman he loves/hates, a gold digger who marries then divorces a string of wealthy men.

Inside Llewyn Davis - A largely plotless but thoughtful ramble about an unsuccessful folk singer (Oscar Isaac) and his travels through the 1960's folk scene with his constant companion, an unnamed cat. Darkly funny comedy drama with a great supporting cast (John Goodman, Justin Timberlake, Adam Driver, and Carey Mulligan) and some great music, performed live on set by the actors themselves.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

I Confess (Alfred Hitchcock, 1953)

Tectonics (Peter Bo Rappmund, 2012)

The Firefly (Robert Z. Leonard, 1937)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Alfred Werker, 1939)
-

Dr. Watson (Nigel Bruce) and Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) study a strange note which may lead to a future murder, but they are suddenly interrupted.
Blue Skies (Stuart Heisler, 1946)
+
Elegy (Isabel Coixet, 2008)

The Rum Diary (Bruce Robinson, 2011)
+
The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998)

In the middle of Guadalcanal Island during WWII, American troops face massive Japanese resistance.
White Line Fever (Jonathan Kaplan, 1975)
+
Spirit of Youth (Harry Fraser, 1938)
-
Swing! (Oscar Micheaux, 1938)
-
Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee, 1995)
+

Patient Colonel Alan Rickman loves young Kate Winslet, but he fears he’s not passionate enough for her consideration and suffers for it.
Hallelujah (King Vidor, 1929)

Roaming Through Michigan (James A. FitzPatrick, 1950)
+
The Green Pastures (Mark Connelly & William Keighley, 1936)
+
Cabin in the Sky (Vincente Minnelli, 1943)
-

The Devil’s Idea Men (Louis Armstrong, Leon James, Fletcher Rivers, Mantan Moreland [and Willie Best (not shown)]) help Lucifer Jr. (Rex Ingram, center) concoct a plan to win the soul of Little Joe (Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson).
The Stone Killer (Michael Winner, 1973)

Cooley High (Michael Schultz, 1975)

Black Girl (Ossie Davis, 1972)

Juliet of the Spirits (Federico Fellini, 1965)

The TV plays during the anniversary party of impressionable Giulietta Masina and her philandering husband (Mario Pisu).

Selfish, impetuous sculptor, Eric (Rutger Hauer) can't help but lustfully objectify free spirit, Olga (Monique van de Ven) in Verheoven's uncompromising romance that perfectly captures the energy of youth, combined with the pain of growing up and letting go of someone you love. Unforgettable.

*Turkish Delight/Turks fruit (Paul Verheoven, 1973)

*Black Book (Paul Verheoven, 2006)
+
Sicario (Denis Villeneuve, 2015)

Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve, 2013)
+
Enemy (Denis Villeneuve, 2013)

Rudderless ex-con 'Wild' Bill (Charlie Creed-Miles) prepares for a showdown at the local boozer in Fletcher's redemptive council estate western, that deftly favours kitchen sink family drama over rootin' tootin' high jinks.

Wild Bill (Dexter Fletcher, 2011)
+
*Blood Simple (Joel & Ethan Coen, 1984)

Big Game (Jalmari Helander, 2014)
+

On his first detail in Northern Ireland, green squaddie, Gary (Jack O'Connell) becomes separated from his unit in IRA territory and must try and make his way back to barracks undetected. This standard military movie premise is buoyed by excellent pacing, a strong supporting cast, and relentless gritty tone that effectively conveys the political complexities of the troubles.

'71 (Yann Demange, 2014)

Black Mass (Scott Cooper, 2015)

Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger (Joe Berlinger, 2014)

American Hustle (David O. Russell, 2013)

Paiute Indian Willie Boy (Robert Blake) is a passionate rebel out of time and place, pursued by Robert Redford's morally torn sheriff after running away with his white lover (Katharine Ross), in this classic case of fascinating material given disappointingly standard treatment.

Tell Them Willie Boy is Here (Abraham Polonsky, 1969)

The Revenant (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2015)
+
Mystery Road (Ivan Sen, 2013)

One Good Cop (Heywood Gould, 1991)
-

Henry Rollins takes the laconic curmudgeon to new levels of dour cynicism as a bingo playing fallen angel, in this refreshingly downbeat mixture of black comedy, character study, and bloody comic book action.

He Never Died (Jason Krawczyk, 2015)

When Animals Dream/Når dyrene drømmer (Jonas Alexander Arnby, 2014)

Bad Biology (Frank Henenlotter, 2008)
-
Almost Human (Joe Begos, 2013)

Ika (Rae Dawn Chong) and her people just might hold the key to Amoukar (Ron Perlman) and his tribe's titular search in this remarkably captivating, dialogue free adventure; that's as brutal as it is beautiful.

Quest for Fire/La guerre du feu (Jean-Jacques Annaud, 1981)

Safety Not Guaranteed (Colin Trevorrow, 2012)
++
The Terminal Man (Mike Hodges, 1974)
-

*=rw.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My first watches of this year. And my last watch of last year.

Anatomy of a Murder
+
NEW YEAR
Paths of Glory

Spirited Away
+ REWATCH
Finding Neverland
+
Avengers 2
REWATCH
Patlabor 2

Room
+
Back to the Future
REWATCH
The Gold Rush
+ REWATCH
Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens
+
The Babadook

That's a low score for The Babadook, raul. As it's something that is usually well thought of and something I'd like to see myself at some point, I wonder if you wouldn't mind posting a few thoughts about it?

BTW, say it quietly, but I've seen one film more than you so far this year. : Maybe you should start to worry?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I watched The Babadook because everyone here was raving about it. It did nothing for me. The acting was boring and the script was bland.

The Force Awakens was indeed something like Episode 4 which elevated it to a really good film because I loved what they did with the new characters. It's actually the film that has truly made me a fan of the franchise.

I gave it a 2 as well. There is no character development at all. It is just this metaphor for the mother's life that is mostly not compelling. The ending was really trite as well.

Learning to overcome the depression of a past tragedy and love your child isn't character development?

Even in the way of character development - something I don't believe is necessary to cinema - it is an incredibly compelling and incredibly well-acted horror film.