Mingusing's 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

So I've been here for a while and decided it was time to make a list of my favorite movies. I have been putting it off for quite some time because I didn't feel I had seen enough good movies, but now I realize that I will never have seen enough good movies.

I'm not super happy with the list, as many of the movies on it I have only seen once, so I won't have that much to say about them. But I figured I might as well just post it anyway. So without further ado

50. The Wrestler (2008)

"You hear them? This is where I belong." -Randy 'The Ram' Robinson

Darren Aronofsky is among my favorite living directors. I love his films for two reasons. For one, I love how he structures his films. The pacing flows flawlessly, as the films start slow, and continuously build and build right up to the very last moment. Secondly, I love the emotional connections he creates with the characters. As it says in the film, 'the Ram' is truly an old, broken-down character. Immediately, you want to see him succeed. My feelings about him can best be compared to how a parent feels about their child. We constantly see the Ram make mistakes, mess things up, and choose poor decisions. But in the end, it doesn't change the way we feel about him one bit. I love the scenes where he interacts with his daughter. The Ram is far from a good dad. He tries. He has good intentions. He wants to be a good father. But he never will be. He's a wrestler. And he knows that's where he belongs. I keep struggling to decide whether it's a pessimistic or optimistic film. I think the theme of the movie is accepting defeat. You can't change who you are, and no matter how much you try, there are some things in this world that are out of your reach.

I'm looking forward to your list!

As for the wrestler I'm not the biggest fan haha.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I didn't really enjoy the The Wrestler. It's been a while so maybe a re-watch is needed.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

49. The Tenant (1976)

"And now, if you cut off my head, would I say, 'me and my head' or 'me and my body'? What right has my head to call itself me? What right?" -Trelkovsky

The Tenant is perhaps the creepiest, most disturbing movie I have ever seen. It's a film filled with paranoia, madness, and insanity. It's a film where the whole world is against the main character. It's the only movie that has truly gotten under my skin, and I've still yet to rewatch it three years later.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I'm not too big a fan of The Tenant, but The Wrestler is outstanding though. Aronofsky's best film by far, and one of my favorites of the 2000's.

Two films in, and we've got a '70s flick. Don't forget to get me a top twenty-five list from that decade by July 15th, Mingusing.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

48. Melancholia (2011)

"The earth is evil. We don't need to grieve for it. Nobody will miss it." -Justine

Lars von Trier's Melancholia is a visual masterpiece. Some of the shots in the film you could frame and hang up on your wall. It's truly a work of art. To me, the film offers the greatest study of depression. The two leads, Dunst and Gainsbourg, are absolutely phenomenal. They really draw you into the film and keep you engaged. The story is rather simple, but the screenplay is able to jump around with moments of sadness as well as black comedy. Some may disagree, but I find von Trier to be like the modern day Ingmar Bergman. His stories, characters, and visuals are always so on-point. Expect more from him on this list.

The Wrestler was OK, but I didn't really like it. I was in a bad place then, though. Still, it's not something I'm looking to relive. I don't really remember much about The Tennant, but I think I thought it was OK. Melancholia is a film I have, but haven't seen yet.