The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'd preface any recommendation for an old rpg by saying expect it to feel dated. The Baldur's Gate games have enhanced editions on Steam now which enable them to run unmodded at modern resolutions but they're pretty dense affairs for the unprepared.

Incidentally, the first two Fallout games are back on Steam with modern monitor support built in.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I tried Fallout for a short bit but dropped it. Seemed like a lot of reading/dialogue was necessary and I just didn't feel like spending the time to get into it. Had a similar experience with Baldur's Gate. Didn't help they both required me hovering near my monitor which I no longer like to do. Played some of Planescape: Torment which I liked but stopped at a certain point because I felt my stats were poorly allotted.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I played one of the Saint Row games and while I could appreciate why people liked it I just couldn't get past its look and that it felt like a poor man's version of GTA.

Glad you've found something fun though.

I'm a real gamer playing Jeopardy! on the Xbox 360. This is intense stuff. Fun and addicting, plus I really enjoy trivia type games.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I'm a real gamer playing Jeopardy! on the Xbox 360. This is intense stuff. Fun and addicting, plus I really enjoy trivia type games.
Can you play against Ken Jennings or unlock him?

In some ways I'm glad I've got a big double glazing bill coming up because I just checked my Amazon wish list and the 780GTX has been reduced by 10%, nearly £40. Stay strong: It'll come down more.

I played one of the Saint Row games and while I could appreciate why people liked it I just couldn't get past its look and that it felt like a poor man's version of GTA.
From what I hear this will depend a lot on which one you've played. I didn't play the first two, but the consensus seems to be that they're decent (if uninspired) GTA Lites, yeah. But the third game starts to go off in its own direction, and feels more like a less constrained, more outsized, overtly fun GTA, because it pretty much casts off any notion of having to be realistic. I bought it on a whim and ended up really loving it.

The fourth is--somehow--even crazier than the third (two words: Dubstep Gun), but so far it's a lot more fun, and is really starting to feel like its own thing. Potentially interesting (and highly jubilant) review from RPS.

Not sure if I'd recommended the last two games to someone who was explicitly looking for a GTA replacement or not, but I definitely would for anyone who was always a disappointed at how little rampaging you could actually do in GTA.

A system of cells interlinked
I'd preface any recommendation for an old rpg by saying expect it to feel dated. The Baldur's Gate games have enhanced editions on Steam now which enable them to run unmodded at modern resolutions but they're pretty dense affairs for the unprepared.

Incidentally, the first two Fallout games are back on Steam with modern monitor support built in.
A dense affair indeed. Meanwhile, I am totally addicted to BG2...again. Seems like the shine would fade after 14 YEARS, but no...Still as engaging and well-written as ever.

Someone mentioned not wanting to read dialogue with these games...but come on!!! These (Fallout 2, BG2, Planescape:Torment) are some of the most well-written games ever made; the best stories in the RPG genre! The best thing is that these games are challenging, making you think at every turn and before every battle, considering tactics and counters in each round. Still some of the most engaging strategic game play around, and these games aren't even considered strategy titles.

Seriously VFN - Give Planescape another chance, perhaps adjusting your approach to your character build. Totally worth a play-through, along with both Fallout 2 and BG2...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Some interesting No Man's Sky snippets in this vid...

It's mainly fluffy talk of an objective, an enemy, a 'multitool', achievements/roles of sorts, the scale of the universe, multiplayer etc. Tomorrow's vid promises a look at the dev tools. Drip drip drip....

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Someone mentioned not wanting to read dialogue with these games...but come on!!! These (Fallout 2, BG2, Planescape:Torment) are some of the most well-written games ever made; the best stories in the RPG genre! The best thing is that these games are challenging, making you think at every turn and before every battle, considering tactics and counters in each round. Still some of the most engaging strategic game play around, and these games aren't even considered strategy titles.

Seriously VFN - Give Planescape another chance, perhaps adjusting your approach to your character build. Totally worth a play-through, along with both Fallout 2 and BG2...
I'm not sure I have the patience for all the dialogue and micromanagement. I've played quite a few RPGs and I'm doubtful the stories or writing of any of those older games are really going to wow me, make them worth playing. But maybe I'll give them another shot.

Some interesting No Man's Sky snippets in this vid...

It's mainly fluffy talk of an objective, an enemy, a 'multitool', achievements/roles of sorts, the scale of the universe, multiplayer etc. Tomorrow's vid promises a look at the dev tools. Drip drip drip....
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I'm not sure I have the patience for all the dialogue and micromanagement. I've played quite a few RPGs and I'm doubtful the stories or writing of any of those older games are really going to wow me, make them worth playing. But maybe I'll give them another shot.
Planescape Torment's story is very good and with a couple of easy to apply mods it can handle modern monitors and has a HUD that scales appropriately.

Stick it on your GOG wishlist.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.

Still enjoying Skyrim,73 hours on record,SPOILER - I just killed Alduin and it looks like game starts at that moment.
I joined Stormcloaks and there is still so much to do,your decisions make huge impact on the game.World is fantastic,you never know what will you find or where but when you get few missions you will start using fast travel,at least I did.Combat is fine,some people complained but it works for me,its same combat as in other Elder Scrolls so I really don't understand all the bitching,if you don't like it then you chose bad franchise.I recommend it.
Verdict: 9/10

Empire: Total War

This is one mistake I made during summer sale.Price of game is really ridicilus and CA is getting more and more greedy,bugs during fights really take you away from game,not much to do,build this,kill there,take that city...I got it for 10euroes but full price is 20e and that is retarded.
Verdict: 6.5/10

I have only 2 hours on Witcher 2 game looks great.Just wanted to do this little review,how did you guys spend your money?
I'll post review of Witcher 2,Penumbra games,Don't Starve and others when I have time to play them,when I'm finished with Skyrim.

In the Beginning...
I'm planning on starting a new Skyrim character and giving myself a personal limit on what can be carried. Never liked that you can carry a mind-boggling amount of stuff. I know some of the mods can limit your max load, but I'm still playing on 360, so I'll just have to monitor myself. The idea is to try a more realistic play through.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I'm planning on starting a new Skyrim character and giving myself a personal limit on what can be carried. Never liked that you can carry a mind-boggling amount of stuff. I know some of the mods can limit your max load, but I'm still playing on 360, so I'll just have to monitor myself. The idea is to try a more realistic play through.
No-HUD, no music, gogogogo!

Been meaning to roll a new Skyrim character for a while but I think I'm burned out on the game. Might revisit the Nexus and see if any stand-out new mods have been launched to pique my interest. The only thing which would stop me playing vanilla Skyrim (in principal) is the difficulty, although the HUD and map are pretty awful unmodded.

Normal level is far too easy and I hate the way Bethesda (and loads of other devs) ramp up the difficulty by blindly reducing your HP and damage while upping every other creature in the game.

I used to say that if I could only pick one mod for the game it'd be SkyUI but now it's probably gonna be a difficulty mod like SkyRe.