Top 5 David Cronenberg films

Tools    

1-videodrome
2-the fly
3-a history of violence

I hope this is the right place to put this but f not, I'm happy for a mod to move it. I just need a rant.
There is a thread for A Dangerous Method, but no one's posted in it since 2011 haha.

Unfortunately I can't comment on your post because I haven't seen the film. I do plan to watch it soon though.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Oh thank you my newfie friend. I shall move my post.

No problem! I have all the Cronenberg-related threads I could find tagged in the Cronenberg Club if you happen to have anything to say about one of his other films and were wondering if there was a pre-existing thread for it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thanks again, Cos.

On further reading of posts on the imdb board, I'm getting the feel the character was most definitely Cronenberg's intention to get under the viewer's skin and make them itchy and scratchy. In retrospect, I should have known this about him.
My jaw still hurts. time for some pain killers.

Cronenberg has five absolute CLASSICS that I love, it's ranking them that's VERY difficult. I do have a concrete #1, but the rest could go in any order. Here's my ranking.

1. The Fly: In my mind, this is Cronenberg's true masterpiece. One of the few instances where the remake of a classic becomes an even bigger classic. The Fly (58) is a great movie, but Cronenberg's version blows it away, which is saying a lot. I guess the beauty of this film is that it's one of the most personal monster movies ever made. It's almost Vertigo-esque in its portrayal of obsession, and extreme ambition. Just a highly suspensful, brilliantly acted and directed film, with one of the most tragic ending scenes of any sci-fi film in history. To the mainstream, Jeff Goldblum will unfortuntely be remembered more for Jurassic Park, and Independence Day, but he shouldn't be... because The Fly is his true career defining movie.

2. A History of Violence: Point blank, one of the best movies of the last 15 years. Eastern Promises is a GREAT movie as well, but I slightly prefer A History of Violence over it. You would think that would make Eastern Promises third on my list, but it's actually four, the third spot belongs to...

3. The Dead Zone: In my opinion, the second best movie based on a King novel, behind only The Shining. There's so many great things about this film, beyond the just the superb performance of Walken - and what's REALLY creepy about it is Martin Sheen's character comes eerily close to resembling Trump.

4. Eastern Promises: This would be the best movie of the year in MOST years, but unfortuntely, it came out of the same year as There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men, so it was third best film of 07. A great, and underappreciated movie with a memorable performance from Viggo, his most well known performance. Like I previously said, I feel History of Violence was SLIGHTLY better... but trust me, not by much.

5. Videodrome: Cronenberg's most thought-provoking film and a very distruburing yet brilliantly made satire of television, sex, and violence that still feels fresh, and relevant today. Despite being a complex subject matter than the four above it, I don't feel it's quite as good as the top 4, but still it's excellent.

Honorable Mention: Dead Ringers, which is also an excellent movie.

Cronenberg is my favorite filmmaker, so I thought I'd throw out my top 5 films by him and see if I can get a discussion going.

5. EXISTENZ (1999)
4. VIDEODROME (1983)
3. EASTERN PROMISES (2007)
2. THE FLY (1986)
1. THE DEAD ZONE (1983)

What's your top 5?
i have to put videodrome on top of the list at nb1, because of how original and surreal this movie is, it s just a sublime look into surreal and social satire cinema.

Naked Lunch (1991)
Videodrome (1983)
Crash (1996)
A History of Violence (2005)
The Fly (1986)

1. The Fly
2. Videodrome
3. A History of Violence
4. eXistenZ

That's what I've liked. Also seen Cosmopolis but not a fan of that

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

#005 Naked Lunch
#004 The Fly
#003 Videodrome
#002 Eastern Promises
#no1 M. Butterfly