CiCi's Top 50 Horror Films!

→ in
Tools    

À L'intérieur did nothing at all to me (I though it was stupid for the mos part)... but Frontières was awesome and I give you rep anyway keep em coming CiCi !!

Madness is the emergency exit…
Loved Inside & liked a lot Creep, The Editor, Saw II & Frontier(s) and thought American Mary was definitely an interesting & decent watch while I hated You're Next but anyway, I don't think I'll put them in my Top 50 Horror films of all time. May be Id' rank after 150 or 200.

Haven't seen Santa Sangre yet

Finally got the time to properly read and write my way through your list...

The only Creep I've seen, is Sexy, but uh, out of movies it's the 2004 movie of the same name. I remember it being a bit strange and weird but kinda scary. Not in a hurry to rewatch it though. But this one, from 2014, seems interesting and I have it on my watchlist already. I think I might like it.

The Editor I haven't heard off, but it looks rather awesome... added to watchlist!

Didn't like You're Next too much but I see the appeal. I remember the clichés to feel more straight up clichéd than a homage or reference to them. The soundtrack became repetative to me but it was alright. I liked one scene a lot - the end kill.

I like the whole Saw franchise... that is, 1-6. Yep, still like it last time I checked. BUT YES, it really loses steam and gets muddled and amaturishly written as it goes along. But what keeps it together is Jigsaw and his story and the overal story spread across the franchise. I like Saw as a horror, but I love it as a crime thriller and drama. Of course, not the best at that, but the light that is present is pretty fascinating. The second film is definitely fun and decent written.

That was page 1. I'm on phone, so I'll just post this and get on with the next films!

Edit: PAGE TWO!!!!

American Mary seemed talked about quite bit in the deepest corners of horror fanatics. Maybe I should give it a try soon. I like Kathrine Isabell - at least what I saw of her in Ginger Snaps was great.

Not seen Santa Sangre. Awesome original and subjective pick. Never heard of it and it sounds very different and interesting...

Frontier(s) has been on my watchlist for ages now. I think it's time soon.

Inside is my favorite of the French New Wave Horror that I've seen so far. Brutal, bad-ass, tragic, terrifying and disturbing. It had the best blend of all the elements making up a lot of those French new wave horrors coming out and it was endlessly fascinating and gripping. Might be a favorite in the future. But with only one watch I'm still not sure yet. Only that I really liked it on that first watch.

Looks good so far, Callum, nice variation, good picks and good write-ups. Keep going and I'll keep reading.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
You know Med, I keep meaning to watch the 2004 Creep. I've only ever used the London tube once, but I didn't like it at all and found it a bit creepy and unsettling. I reckon I'd like it!

I agree with American Mary, there was so, so much hype about it a few years ago amongst dedicated horror fans. I think like me, they just saw it as something completely new and refreshing, topped with their darling Katharine Isabelle, who is (in my opinion) the definitive modern day scream queen.

Cant' believe you've never heard of Santa Sangre, though! it's a fantastic film! I would have placed it higher, but it's quite light on the horror aspect in parts. As a film in general though, it's utterly brilliant!

Inside isn't my favourite new wave film, you'll find out what it is eventually though

And thank you, I'll upload the next few picks immediately!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
42. Opera (Dario Argento - 1987)

I don't think anyone is surprised Argento made it on this

But this film, largely considered to be his final well made film, is splendid! Following an aspiring opera singer (Cristina Marsillach, who Argento once called the most difficult actress he's ever worked with) the plot revolves around her cast members each being brutally murdered whilst she is forced to watch the events.

It's typical Argento. It's stylised, gorgeous, but never lets up on the violence. Matched with a terrific Goblin soundtrack that contributed massively to the atmospheric, yet oddly erotic tone that the film tried to set up. It's a film that feels sexual, but never gratuitously. The acting is actually not too bad, and neither is the dubbing, some things that would occasionally hamper an Argento film. The kills are as creative as you'd expect from him, but the odds are often equal between killer and victim, and this is why I don't believe Argento is a misogynist, he gives his women a fighting chance, and often develops them to be physically and intellectually equal, if not superior, to their male counterparts. Opera is no exception to this.

The plot would even inspire the aforementioned The Editor hugely!

41. Calvaire (Fabrice Du Welz - 2004)

This Belgian, sort of prelude to the new wave of French extremist horror is actually quite light on gore. But it's disturbing as hell. For beginners, we're introduced to a scene of bestiality early on in the film, and it develops from there.

I can't really say much else except that it's one of the most unsettling experiences of my life. The actors playing the deranged villagers fully embody the perverted and twisted natures of their roles and convey their sinister qualities with ease and professionalism. This is one of those that you don't need to watch again, because you won't forget it in a hurry

Oh, I need to see Opera. Actually, I need to see more Argento in general. Only seen five of his. Pathetic Swan! I really want to see Tenebre too, which I've heard is his most sexual film.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Oh, I need to see Opera. Actually, I need to see more Argento in general. Only seen five of his. Pathetic Swan! I really want to see Tenebre too, which I've heard is his most sexual film.
I've only seen a bit of Tenebre, and I didn't like it at all actually. That being said, I only watched about 20 minutes

I'd certainly recommend Opera though!

The acting is actually not too bad, and neither is the dubbing, some things that would occasionally hamper an Argento film.
TAKE IT BACK! THE BAD DUBBING ONLY ADDS TO THE UNIQUE ITALIAN HORROR EXPERIENCE!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
TAKE IT BACK! THE BAD DUBBING ONLY ADDS TO THE UNIQUE ITALIAN HORROR EXPERIENCE!
If it helps, whoever dubbed Daria Nicolodi in it clearly picked up English as a fifth language

I also don't like to hear that it's "typical" Argento. Typical is never good and it's never good for an artist to be too repetitive. I just watched A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, and it felt unique in Fulci's catalogue and is now my fave of his. Beautiful acid giallo! Alas, every Fulci I've seen has felt different and unique from the last, and that's why I love him.

Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade! I am loving the list so far, you gay man you!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade! I am loving the list so far, you gay man you!
Why thank you, and I know, who would ever want to pray away the gay when I'm here!

I meant more so in the style of it. Bright colours, leather gloved killers, Golbin soundtrack etc.
Should have elaborated there, really
So you mean "typical" in the sense just that it features Argento's trademarks? Hopefully it's still unique though, and if so I can get behind that. I love Argento's trademarks.

Okay CiCi, I promise not to be a prick anymore. Nothing but praise here on forward!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
So you mean "typical" in the sense just that it features Argento's trademarks? Hopefully it's still unique though, and if so I can get behind that. I love Argento's trademarks.
That's the one! His trademarks, I'll remember that!