CiCi's Top Ten "Forgettable films with amazing theme songs"

Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
My scream queen list is taking way too long to construct, it's a lot more difficult than I thought!
Anyway, I've been thinking about this a lot, because going through IMDb, I've noticed that quite a few poor films have managed to gain Academy Award nominations in the "Best Original Song" category, and with my curiosity piquing, I decided to look up other amazing songs that belonged to poor films. Not every song featured did make the cut for the Academy awards, and this is quite personal to my taste in films and music, so it won't reflect everyone's opinions I'd think.

That being said, I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions! Number 10 and 9 are on the way!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
10. "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding (50 Shades of Grey - 2015)

E.L. James' infamous erotic trilogy seemed like a doomed adaptation from the beginning, considering the critical panning of a book originally conceived as a Twilight fan-fiction... Anyway, I loved this song, and I was quite surprised to learn it was the official theme song for the equally panned film, but the lyrics are fitting for the context of the film, if not a bit cliche perhaps. Overall though, it's an amazing song that dominated charts across the world, and is drastically better than the film it represents!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
9. "Hikoki Gumo/Vapour Trail" by Yumi Matsutoya (The Wind Rises - 2013)

I'm probably going to get a bit of grief for this, but in my opinion, this wasn't Ghibli's best, I thought the pacing was off, it wasn't particularly interesting but the romance was I will give it that. Nevertheless, when people mention their best Ghibli films, this one never seems to get a mention and doesn't look as though it will survive unlike many other films produced by the company.

Nevertheless, the theme song was completely enchanting, and despite how it was released prior to the film, it's extremely poignant and touching when put into context of what happened to the film.

Uuuh, brave to put Miyazaki's swan song on here!

Anyways, yeah, 50 shades is certainly crap. Have I seen it? No. But it sucks by definition.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Uuuh, brave to put Mayazaki's swan song on here!

Anyways, yeah, 50 shades is certainly crap. Have I seen it? No. But it sucks by definition.
I've only seen the Japanese version... and I was genuinely quite bored, I honestly believe there are a lot of other Ghibli films that are better than this one.

I haven't seen it either but I've read a summary and

Was my reaction upon completing it, it looks dreadful

Wasn't expecting The Wind Rises. Haven't seen it myself but it looks stunning. For the record i think it is one of Guaps fave Ghibli films it made his Animation list, and i think he has seen them all.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Wasn't expecting The Wind Rises. Haven't seen it myself but it looks stunning. For the record i think it is one of Guaps fave Ghibli films it made his Animation list, and i think he has seen them all.
The animation itself was absolutely stunning... but I'll stick by my guns, I simply did not like that film

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'm not a Ghibli fan by any means, but I liked The Wind Rises the most out of all the Miyazaki films I've seen.
Each to their own! I think my favourite Miyazaki is Howl's Moving Castle

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
8. "Boom Clap" by Charli XCX (The Fault In Our Stars - 2014)

I wouldn't say this is a forgettable film, but I definitely feel as though it's quite over rated, and it looks as though this film has had it's 15 minutes of fame, with other John Green adaptations snatching the limelight away from this film.

However XCX's theme song, that was originally offered to Hillary Duff, is enchanting. Her rhytmic and unique manipulation of onomatopoeia creates an amazingly infectious and captivating song, that received an abundance of acclaim. I'd bet in 15 years, "Boom Clap" will be far more fondly remembered than the film it accompanies.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
7. "There You'll Be" by Faith Hill (Pearl Harbor - 2001)

Michael Bay's shameless attempt to ride of the success of Titanic was an absolute disaster. Ben Affleck can't act to save his life and despite being a country with a population well above 300 million, they decided to cast a British woman (Kate Beckinsale) who just could not pull of the accent if I remember rightly.

But this song went on to become a massive hit, it even received a nomination at the Academy Awards and immortalised the artist, Faith Hill, who was offered the song after Celine Dion refused it.

The Fault in Our Stars is one of the most overrated films I have seen tbh and to me it was also quite forgettable. I had forgot all about its existence up until you mentioned it today.

Main thing I hated it, was because people were talking about how this was not one of those pre-teen romance stories with (what I call) "twillight love" and sappy drama scenes. But it was exactly that in my opinion. Yes, the subject matter was more heartbreaking and depressing, which did stregthen the film a bit, but it couldn't hide behind it for long. It tries so hard to be tragic and touching but I was about to puke most of the time.

Anyways, worthy spot on your list.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
It's one of the most overrated films I have seen tbh and to me it was also quite forgettable. I had forgot all about its existence up until you mentioned it today.

Main thing I hated it, was because people were talking about how this was not one of those pre-teen romance stories with (what I call) "twillight love" and sappy drama scenes. But it was exactly that in my opinion. Yes, the subject matter was more heartbreaking and depressing, which did stregthen the film a bit, but it couldn't hide behind it for long. It tries so hard to be tragic and touching but I was about to puke most of the time.

Anyways, worthy spot on your list.
Well you know what my favourite romance film is and this doesn't hold a candle to it, despite the subject matter, that is, like you said, heartbreaking. I did really like Shailene Woodley though, but 7.9 on IMDb is far too generous a rating.

This is nit picky too, but what I found so annoying was Augustus. Firstly, we're not in ancient Rome, no one calls their children that, especially in the USA. Secondly, I've been to secondary school in the 2010s and a separate sixth form last year, and alongside stuff I do outside of that, I must have been at least somewhat aware of a couple hundred teenage boys (my sixth form is huge) and not a single one remotely behaves or speaks the way he does, so yeah, I don't think it's a particularly fantastic film

Master of My Domain
I'm not a Ghibli fan by any means, but I liked The Wind Rises the most out of all the Miyazaki films I've seen.
Wow that's like saying Family Plot is your favorite Hitchcock.

Rep for The Wind Rises theme. Good idea for a list.

I watched The Fault In Our Stars with someone who had Cancer (thankfully the seriousness has passed), and she said she found it more offensive than most heavy cancer patient jokes. Not to get into anything but she felt most of those jokes was exactly how she felt before her diagnosis, her having to learn about it while looking at these perceptions made her smile, may sound a bit of a downer but she said Cancer jokes were the only thing that made her laugh for a while. Everyone is different of course but i'm pretty sure we can all agree that film is the worst thing ever.

I don't even dare mention the Anne Frank scene.

Damn, I just did. Well, I wanted to choke the director for that scene. I thought it was a huge insult. Just thinking about it makes me cringe... and violent... like I want to hurt somebody for coming up with that.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
6. "Get into the Groove" by Madonna (Desperately Seeking Susan - 1985)

I don't think anyone can deny that this is one of Madonna's more popular songs and it was years before I realised that this even belonged to a film, that film being an 80s flick that I haven't seen, and I probably never will see because of the unremarkable IMDb score and the lukewarm reviews it received, and despite it being one of Rosanna Arquette's more popular and critically acclaimed roles, this film has totally faded into obscurity, whilst the song shows no signs of following suit any time soon whatsoever.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I haven't seen "Desperately Seeking Susan" in, probably, almost 25 years. I have some memories of it, but nothing that I could really go into detail about it. If my memory would be correct, I didn't mind the movie. But then again, like I said, that was about 25 years ago. Who knows why it wasn't that bad to me? Of course, I could watch it now and still think "It isn't that terrible."

Anyway, "Into the Groove". That is in my top 5 of all-time favorite Madonna songs.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I haven't seen "Desperately Seeking Susan" in, probably, almost 25 years. I have some memories of it, but nothing that I could really go into detail about it. If my memory would be correct, I didn't mind the movie. But then again, like I said, that was about 25 years ago. Who knows why it wasn't that bad to me? Of course, I could watch it now and still think "It isn't that terrible."

Anyway, "Into the Groove". That is in my top 5 of all-time favorite Madonna songs.
I mean it won a BAFTA so it can't be too bad and I reckon I wouldn't mind it either, but the film only has 15,000 votes on IMDb which definitely emphasises how the film just hasn't survived in comparison to the song.

I agree as well, definitely my top 5 Madonna!