The Bourne Legacy Review

→ in
Tools    

The Bourne Legacy is the fourth movie in the Bourne franchise, but for the first timewithout the lead charcter Jason Bourne (Matt Damon). Instead we get Aaron Cross (played by Jeremy Renner).

This movie is set during the third movie in the franchise, The Bourne Ultimatum, and has many cross overs, with the characters discussing and mentioning Bourne, his photo is shown on a few occasions, and events from the previous movies are mentioned. It goes to the point of incorporating various clips from the Bourne Ultimatum into the movie.

Aaron Cross is out on training when agents begin to be killed off as all evidence of previous operations are being destroyed, so the CIA can deny that the operations such as Treadstone ever existed. Cross escapes the radar and helps a scientist along the way who helps him come off the drugs he needs to take. A giant chase ensues and Cross and the doctor manage to escape.

Does this all sound familiar? Well, it is. It follows the same formula as the first three with nothing new, the roof top chase, the car chase, and the girl. It is all the same things that happened in the previous movies. The story seemed old, and the plot worn out. Jeremy Renner didn't really fit the role for me either, his performance wasn't bad, but his style didn't seem to blend well with the character in my opinion.

Another part of the movie that got me frustrated was the action scenes. The whole of the movie seemed to be shot wuth a hand cam, but the action scenes with particularly shakey and the cuts were coming far too fast which made it very confusing to follow, and took the punch off the action.

Overall this movie wasn't too bad but failed to shine in quite a few areas. If this was a seperate movie without any Bourne connection it could have been a winner, but it will always be compared to the other Bourne movies, and in that department it will always come up short.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This movie is set during the third movie in the franchise, The Bourne Ultimatum, and has many cross overs, with the characters discussing and mentioning Bourne, his photo is shown on a few occasions, and events from the previous movies are mentioned. It goes to the point of incorporating various clips from the Bourne Ultimatum into the movie.
Judging from the trailer, I came to this conclusion. Should be interesting to see how it plays out the same events from another perspective.

Suspect's Reviews

Hello all,

This was actually the first Bourne movie that was worse than the previous one. Too much talking and very confusing if you have not seen the previous episodes.

I think I'll wait till this one is out on DVD. Renner was good in Avengers, but not sure if it's worth a trip to the cinema after the average reviews.

I think I'll wait till this one is out on DVD. Renner was good in Avengers, but not sure if it's worth a trip to the cinema after the average reviews.
Good decision, this is definately one for DVD.

Sudoku Blackbelt
Ditto for me on the dvd release. I have the first three. I enjoy all of them, but the first is my favorite. One of the all time great car chases in movies.

It's one of my 'go to' movies. You know, if you want to watch something, but don't know what, there's always that handful at the ready you can put in.

Rachel Weisz was the best, the rest are crap.

Rachel Weisz is the only bright spot in what is otherwise an average film AT BEST. Far worse than the first three, it felt like watching a fan-made attempt at a Bourne movie. The plot was dull, predictable, and cliche. Renner is a tremendous drop-off from Damon, and I wouldn't recommend watching this movie.

My disdain for this movie is building even more as I type this. I'm glad I didn't see it in the theaters. I red boxed it couple months ago. This movie to me completely pissed on the whole trilogy before it, and that's not alright by me. Too me it's one of the best trilogies in film history. The end of Legacy completely makes the end of Ultimantium irrelevant.

And to top it off Renner's (who i'm hot and cold on) performance and direction they decided to go with his character just made no sense to me. Didn't feel like I was watching a Bourne. It makes me angry because this movie could have had a lot of potential to expand on the Bourne universe, introduce more agents. If Damon decides to comeback after this atrocity he will lose my respect.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)