The Dark Backward

→ in
Tools    

"photographers" Pfft! Dang single framers!
It's an older movie, but one that is overlooked. Filled with names...James Caan, Wayne Newton, Bill Paxton, Rob Lowe, and Judd Nelson. One of the grimiest films I've ever seen. A garbageman (Nelson) who is a terrible stand up comic wannabee, discovers he has an arm growing out of his back. He gets a manager (Newton) and starts a successful comedy career. This film is dark and the humor is very odd. James Caan will surprise you with his part as a sleezy doctor. There's no in between, you love it or you'll hate it. I liked it and was surprised that it was produced. Paxton is great as Nelson's best friend. If you can find this film, watch it. It'll only cost you 90 minutes. Fans of these actors will be surprised that they were in such a film, but it is enjoyable and funny in a very, very dark sort of way. You'll see what I mean...

The Dark Backward may be most unpleasant commercial movie.It clearly represents some kind of horrific apotheosis of the "bad-is-good" aesthetic.

Yeah, I've liked The Dark Backward since I rented on VHS back in the early 1990s, having no idea what I was in for. It's no masterpiece or anything, but I give it points for ballsy committal to being truly dark and depraved. The bit near the beginning where the Paxton character finds the body at the dump, it's so disgusting and outrageous that the movie kind of had me right there. I know most will likely find it so distasteful they'll shut it off at that point, but I went with it. Kind of like David Lynch and John Waters combined their sensibilities in Adam Rifkin. And when you've got Jimmy Caan and Wayne Newton hamming it up, I have to admit I like this fu*ked up little flick.

The R1 DVD has an entertaining audio commentary track with writer/director Rifkin, co-stars Judd Nelson and Bill Paxton, and producer Brad Wyman, plus an on-camera featurette with those four as well as outtakes and a bunch of additional features.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

"photographers" Pfft! Dang single framers!
Thanks for the heads up on the featurettes,HP!. I'll hunt it down again just to watch those. I liked this movie and wish others would see it (keep me from feeling like I'm some kind of creep for watching it). Eating the chicken from that nasty fridge got me, Pike. What a flick!!

The Dark Backward is a terrific movie in the most offbeat way. The movie takes place in the not too distant future and it is grimey and full of garbage. Judd Nelson is oily. Bill Paxton is filthy. Together they are garbage men hoping for a big break in show business. Paxton is so over the top and positive about the future that he screams it. Nothing good seems to happen to Nelson. James Caan is in this as a wacky doctor. Rob Lowe is great wearing a false nose and talking like Sammy Davis Jr. Mr. Las Vegas Wayne Newton is a main player as talent agent Jackie Chrome. All this and more in a pretty strange movie. If you like odd movies try this one out. As dark as it is the movie's ending is strangely uplifting.

I liked this movie and wish others would see it.