El Topo

→ in
Tools    

"El Topo" (The Mole) was written by, directed by, and stars Alejandro Jodorowsky. In addition Jodorowsky also contributed to the music, editing, and costumes of this midnight western. The whole film is an act of symbolism, yet no distinct lines are drawn, thus everyone who watches this film will come away with a different understanding.

The film begins with El Topo (Jodorowsky) clad in black, and his 7 year old son (played by real life son Brontis Jodorowsky), wearing only a hat, riding through the desert to a presumably predetermined place. El Topo instructs his son that he is now a man, and therefore must now bury his childhood. This childhood being symbolized by the child's first toy, and a picture of his mother.

It is never quite explained why the child appears as he does in the first part of the film, but one can guess that this is to portray his purity and innocence in contrast to the dark aura manifested by his father who is a heartless gunfighter.

After his initiation into manhood, father and son ride off apparently with no specific destination in mind. They soon enter a village where all the inhabitants (man, woman, and child), including livestock have been slaughtered. The two pilgrims walk calmly through the town, taking it all in with an air of nonchalance. They soon encounter a single survivor who begs them to kill him. After finding out who had massacred the villagers, El Topo hands his pistol to his son instructing him to shoot the man. The child obeys, but quickly buries himself in his father's arms.

El Topo proceeds to hunt down the outlaws who had killed the townspeople. After killing them all, he then abandons his son to a group of monks and rides off with the woman who had been held captive by the outlaws. This then carries the viewer into the second part of the film which is even more extravagant than the first.

While the first part of the film was a portrayal of good over evil, the second part represents a more muddled view of good and evil. The viewer is left with the impression that there is neither black nor white, that all is simply a grey area, where all outcomes, good or evil, are simply the work of fate.

"El Topo" is not rated, but viewer discretion is advised.

can you help me understand the third, final part of the film, with the unknown town and the freaks after el topo is shot and betrayed by the 2 women? .. what was your conclusion and opinion?... if you have one that is

Moral of the story is women are the devil.

El Topo

Alejandro Jodorowsky provides an all you can consume buffet of imagery for your emotional palette. The music encompasses the imagery perfectly. This seems like some sort of strange prequel to The Holy Mountain, which I think now will make a lot more sense. Language, though lightly used, seems to be unnecessary in these strange works of humanly universal art. Jodorowsky's tales are very confusing in parts, but regardless, he is truly an original master of cinema.

6.8/10

can you help me understand the third, final part of the film, with the unknown town and the freaks after el topo is shot and betrayed by the 2 women? .. what was your conclusion and opinion?... if you have one that is
I got lost also after
WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
El Topo died and it goes to the cave of inbreds..

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's really original and seems to be a love it or hate it movie. I loved it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.