Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A dirty shame (2004) 5/10
Im glad i enjoyed this, i saw pecker and thought it was awful but this was really funny. It kind of waned in the middle but other than that was good.

I believe i watched the un-neutered version

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRN_DN7800D.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	77510  

I forgot the opening line.

By Source (WP:NFCC#4), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=63832612

I See You - (2019)

This was an uneven mess of a movie which could have risen to greatness. As it is, it's fine - I enjoyed around half of it a whole lot. I borrowed this on DVD - so my first impression was the cover, which seems to try and make this out to be a crime thriller (very different from the poster above.) When I started watching though, it had spooky, supernatural Sinister vibes and I thought I was in for a real treat. I loved Sinister (I ignore problems with it because there's so much creepy atmosphere it keeps me happy.) This film wants to be a creepy horror film, crime thriller, drama - and it uses so many different aspects of filmmaking (found footage, non-linear story telling - etc,) but not in an even way. After half a film of normal linear story we suddenly hark back to the start and it's found footage-type fare. Then all of the sudden we're way off on a non-linear bit. Then the filmmakers cheat and change things around on our second go-around.

I didn't like Helen Hunt in this - and I've got nothing against her...but...

WARNING: spoilers below
... it didn't matter too much because after being the main character in the first half she drives off with her son (another supposedly important character who abandons ship) and we never really see them again until the credits. Two of our main characters are done - and will only come back when the movie is over. I didn't see that coming. There was a lot in this movie that I didn't see coming. That's not a bad thing - like I said, this movie was almost great. It was all the chopping and changing that left me feeling a bit cold. We go from supernatural horror, to just ordinary horror, then found-footage thriller, then non-linear mystery and finally crime thriller. When this movie leaves something behind though, it's gone for good.

I give this film a 5 - but it's an uneven 5. It promises one thing, and then delivers a lot - but not what it promised.

5/10

Fun fact : On the Wikipedia page I read, "I See You grossed $0 in North America" - at first I thought that was a typo, but it's accurate. Was this not released domestically? I mean, even United Passions sold three or four tickets in the U.S.

Unregistered User
[quote=ScarletLion;2202704]
'Blow the Man Down' (2021)

This just didn't work for me. It's like a caricature of a poor Coen brothers movie. The tone is all over the place. Moody one minute then a barbershop quartet of singing fisherman the next. The premise is interesting enough (murder cover up) but the poor dialogue and silly character choices never allow the film to flourish.

4.8/10

.................................................................................................... ........

Been so close to watching this several times, glad you did first

Nobody (2021)

In a surprising foray against type, Bob Odenkirk plays a former CIA assassin (Hutch Mansell) who had been living the suburban life as a milquetoast until his inner assassin emerges when some thugs taunt a young woman on a bus. That unleashes a whole series of 007 type confrontations with a drug lord and his henchmen in which Hutch prevails, which impresses his kids and regains their respect.

It's a guess as to what they were trying to do here. At first it seemed to be a straight drama, but then morphed into a Kingsman or John Wick type of comedy overkill. Odenkirk's forte is droll comedy, so one kept expecting Hutch to lapse into understated gags. And it's not clear whether or not he may have.

The story is familiar and almost silly, but yet the set ups and acting were entertaining. The action and stunt scenes were as good as in much more expensive productions. There was a nice turn by the aged Christopher Lloyd as Hutch's father. Although 82 he still was believable in his action scenes. The popular Russian/Canadian actor Aleksei Serebryakov (Leviathan, Space Dogs) plays the chief bad guy. He managed to make a trite role seem plausible and even fresh.

Nothing new here, yet Odenkirk explores new territory, and action fans will enjoy the wuss to Wick adventure.

Doc's rating: 5/10

Happy as Lazarro (2018)

I really like that film. Wasn't what I was expecting at all.

I didn't like Blow the Man Down but a friend of mine who has similar tastes to me enjoyed it, so maybe I was too harsh on it.

Tenet 2/5
Wow! Boring!
It's James Bond with out James Bond. The Protagonist had no charisma. To the people who cast this movie I point them towards Black Panther a movie replete with African American actors with loads of charisma. Any of them would have been an improvement. Not that John David Washington, the actor playing the Protagonist had much to work with. How about some pithy dialogue for goodness sake! At least Bond gets his traditional one liners. And how about a crazy Bond villain. Kenneth Branaugh's character, the villain of the piece is a yawn though Branaugh has the requisite charisma. There is no color.

Note to Christopher Nolan. The whole movie can't be the McGuffin. The reverse entropy objects can't be the only thing that you focus on. Get a screenplay not just a group of set pieces that try to explain something nobody can really understand. What a waste of money!

Victim of The Night
Tenet 2/5
Wow! Boring!
It's James Bond with out James Bond. The Protagonist had no charisma. To the people who cast this movie I point them towards Black Panther a movie replete with African American actors with loads of charisma. Any of them would have been an improvement. Not that John David Washington, the actor playing the Protagonist had much to work with. How about some pithy dialogue for goodness sake! At least Bond gets his traditional one liners. And how about a crazy Bond villain. Kenneth Branaugh's character, the villain of the piece is a yawn though Branaugh has the requisite charisma. There is no color.

Note to Christopher Nolan. The whole movie can't be the McGuffin. The reverse entropy objects can't be the only thing that you focus on. Get a screenplay not just a group of set pieces that try to explain something nobody can really understand. What a waste of money!
I wonder if it was script/Nolan, cause I thought JDW was the bees knees in BlacKkKlansman. Couldn't wait to see him in something else but I actually skipped this because it just looked so blah to me.

Watching Robert Altman's Images right now, and I'm kinda loving it. Maybe I'm an incurable sucker for psycho-horror.

No Clue (2013) Directed by Carl Bessai and starring Brent Butt, Amy Smart, David Koechner, and David Cubitt. A cute and funny Canadian comedy about a salesman who is mistaken for a detective and hired by a beautiful woman to investigate the disappearance of her brother. This was fun and I enjoyed Butt's silliness and shenanigans. My rating is a

'Devil's Playground' (2002)
Which MOFO recommended this about 5 years ago? I finally watched it! Very good account of how Amish people at the age of 16 are allowed to go and sample life outside their community for a couple of years and see if they want to remain Amish. Some of the youngsters let their hair down and go wild. Some hate it and return immediately. Some never come back. It's a balanced documentary very well presented
This doc's subject seemed real familiar, but while watching it last night I soon realized that I hadn't seen it. Like you, it was new to me that upon turning 16, Amish are allowed, if not overly encouraged, to go out into the "English" (non-Amish) world to sample it and to decide then if they want to come back and commit to Jesus and be baptized to the Amish way of life. They don't believe in infant baptism because it's their view that a person should be near adulthood before making a decision to understanding what a commitment to Christ is.

There were a few other things that became clear. The Amish population seems just like the non-Amish population in terms of wanting family, community, and to have some joy in life-- albeit within the confines of a way of life and a dogmatic religious belief system.

The surprising part of the production is the footage they had showing teenagers from the Amish community partaking in booze and drugs. But also the rare usually forbidden footage of Amish social gatherings and prayer.

The film dragged a little, but that may have been due to the editing. Yet it was a worthwhile watch to unveil important Amish tenets.

I didn't like Blow the Man Down but a friend of mine who has similar tastes to me enjoyed it, so maybe I was too harsh on it.
I thought it was distinctly fine. Maybe closer to a 6 or 7/10. I watched it with someone when we'd both had a rough week and it was nice to just watch something easy.

I do agree with your critique about the changing tone. I preferred when it stayed on the lighter side of things.

24: Redemption, 2008

Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) is hiding out in Africa after committing, you know, numerous human rights violations in the name of national security. But he is called back into action when his friend Carl (Robert Carlyle), who runs an orphanage, begins to lose children to a militant warlord who is raising an army to mount a coup. Back in the States, on the verge of a new President being sworn in, a young man (Kris Lemche) comes into possession of dangerous information about American businessmen funding the coup.

I have definitely dabbled in 24, having watched maybe 3 or 4 seasons when it first came out years ago. I thought that this was like a standalone movie. It is not. This is apparently a movie that was made to serve as a bridge between two of the later seasons.

Around 4/5 of the way through the film, I realized that most of what it was raising was not going to be resolved. Had I known that this was essentially an extended episode setting the table for a season, I probably would have been a little less annoyed. As it stands, the fate of many main characters are left up in the air, and because I was not interested in watching the season, I had pretty mixed feelings about that.

I did appreciate that one main plot point was resolved---Bauer getting the African orphans to safety. It does wrap up neatly and provides some narrative satisfaction.

I would imagine that most fans of the show have seen this film. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone else due to the number of plot points left dangling.

I forgot the opening line.

Edmond - (2005) - DVD rewatch

Various MoFo posters got me going on Stuart Gordon (tagged below.) I'd seen Edmond and Stuck and really appreciated them - all the more now knowing who directed them. Originally I was going to re-watch Reanimator, which I thought I had on DVD - but ended up watching Edmond again. The DVD of that has two commentary tracks, a making of featurette, interviews with Stuart Gordon and the trailer. They're all very enlightening.

Edmond was originally a very controversial play by David Mamet - seen by Gordon in Chicago 1982 (he rates it as a seminal experience - people in the audience were raising hell at the performance he caught - "It struck a lot of nerves" he says.) Gordon knew Mamet, and had directed a few of his early plays. He also knew William H. Macy, counting him as one of his good friends from his early, experimental theatre days. When he called Macy asking him to play the role of the title character he told Gordon he'd been waiting all of his life to play this part.

It's a film I can barely fault. Macy's performance is really something, and it's hard to imagine anyone else in this role. Does the main character descend into madness or ascend into liberation? It's hard to say. "Every fear hides a wish," Edmond says, so while his worst nightmares come true (anyone's worst nightmare it feels like) the film has, as Gordon describes, a "happy ending". I think that's vague enough not to include as a spoiler. Watch out for Jeffrey Combs as the Desk Clerk! A lot of familiar faces including George Wendt as a Russian Pawn Shop Owner and Stuck's Mena Suvari as the prostitute Edmond haggles with.

Deleted scenes include one where Edmond misreads a newspaper headline - "MAN CONCEDES EXTENT OF ERROR ON SELF", a fantastic speech about fate from the fortune teller (why this was left out I do not know,) and the gory sight of a certain murder (which was the right choice I think - our imagination is enough.) Stuart Gordon's commentary (backed up by cast members) is greatly beneficial - they have a lot to say about the film. David Mamet's commentary is terrible. He might be drunk/stoned - during a 10 minute silence I thought I'd changed the audio track - he basically has nothing to say except for the occasional mumble of "great scene" or "good lighting".

9/10

@Torgo @LordWhis @Wooley @Captain Terror @ThatDarnMKS @WHITBISSELL!