Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

Sisters
Starring: Amy Poehler and Tina Fey.

So first off, let me just explain my bias. I love Amy and Tina, both 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation are two of my favorite shows. Tina and Amy play polar opposites who head back to their home town and childhood home to sort through the memories after their parents put it up for sale, hilarity ensues. Do I believe everyone will like this? Hell no. In fact it was quite a bit more vulgar then it seemed like some people expected, a lot more jokes than you'd expect were downright dirty and off colour. However, as I enjoy that type of humor a lot and these two really did well with the delivery, I was laughing the whole time, they turned a usually machismo style of humor on its head and did it their way. Mad daps to them for making a solid funny flick.

8.5/10

And yes, it's way better than Baby Mama.

Welcome to the human race...
Creed -

About par for the course as far as 2015 franchise films go (hey, let's pack in as many references to past installments as we can!), but not without its moments (dat long take).

The Martian (2015)

Lots of characters you don't care about. Exposition as a crutch. No sense of time. Probably a pretty good book. Only a competent movie. Very safe. The problems are predictable, but it's fun to watch the solutions unfold even if you know this isn't the type of movie to end badly.

Good Will Hunting (1997)

Seen it just today, I'd say its around 7.5 out of 10 for me.

I really enjoyed it and especially liked the message it focused on, the choice between living your life doing what you like or doing what is logical.
I'm a realist so it was hard for me to accept the ending.
But i guess it's the message that we should pass on, it's just wasn't too realistic for me.

The Hateful Eight (2015)

+

When I first heard Tarantino was making another Western, I was not excited. The trailer did nothing to help my enthusiasm, so my expectations were not high. I'm not completely sure how good I think this is. My feelings went back and forth during the movie, I woke up this morning not thinking much of it, and now my opinion has grown more favorable after thinking about it during the day. At one point I thought I'd never watch it again, and now I want to watch it again soon. With another viewing my opinion could drop or soar, and I have no idea which.

Not much of a story, and that's fine and expected. It's all just an excuse to show off. The cast is fine, but I didn't think anybody particularly stood out. The one exception may be Jennifer Jason Leigh, but I found that later in the film when she had more dialogue, her effectiveness went down. Sam Jackson is consistently good doing what would be expected from him. Kurt Russell is mostly good, but I didn't think as consistent. Walton Goggins was an interesting casting decision. He's an actor I like, and he plays the racist redneck type well. I thought he was decent, but also a bit inconsistent. Tim Roth has a role that's made to stand out, but I don't think it quite got there. He's good though, although if the credits said Chris Waltz was the actor, I would have never known the difference. Except for Reservoir Dogs, I think Michael Madsen is a bum, but I thought he did well with limited responsibility. Bruce Dern was also ok in a role that didn't require much. Channing Tatum was also ok, but forgettable in limited screen time. As a whole, the cast does a good job, but there's no Mr. Pink, no Jules, and no Hans Landa.

I thought the dialogue was much like the cast in that it was not memorable or consistent, but I thought there were some great moments. I thought that some of the attempts at humor failed miserably. The violence, all in the second half of the film, was pretty effective, and I though the most brutal of any Tarantino film. As advertised, the film looks fantastic, and the musical score was excellent. There were times that I thought I was watching people trying to put on a show, rather than watching a movie, and that led to me feeling that the overall tone was a little uneven. I'm someone who believes that Tarantino's first three films are by far his best, and obviously I have a few complaints about this movie. Despite that, Tarantino's movies have an undeniable life about them that is uncommon in the film industry. A big part of it is the anticipation he builds; you always know that something is going to happen. I don't quite think this movie is great, but there's great in it. Many will love it, but I also think it will get it's share of negative talk.

^ probably gonna watch it tonight Cannot wait

The man who could work miracles (1936) took me by complete surprise. I expected a different approach, something definitely more serious and preachy, dealing as it did with themes of human condition. And while it has some of that, it turned to be a delightful British comedy with a really likeable -and astoundingly well performed- main character. With its great sense of humor and satire and an outstanding character growth, this turned out to be an incredibly enjoyable ride.

^ Easily one of the best films of the '30s. The special effects are a hoot.
Agreed! Something I forgot to mention but is indeed really impressive. The only moment I found lackluster in this aspect was the teleport to Bombay sequence, the rest is as solid and organic as it can get.

Safe Haven
Lasse Hallström
It's Christmas time, which means me spending more time with my girlfriend, which means being forced to watch girly movies. After watching The Vow the other night, it was time for Safe Haven yesterday. Even if it remains cheesy and very predictable, I had a fun time watching it. The actors are alright, but the entire movie is well paced and fun to watch. Not a very deep movie nor a game changer, but definitely an entertaining one (coming from a guy).
+

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Safe Haven
Lasse Hallström
It's Christmas time, which means me spending more time with my girlfriend, which means being forced to watch girly movies. After watching The Vow the other night, it was time for Safe Haven yesterday. Even if it remains cheesy and very predictable, I had a fun time watching it. The actors are alright, but the entire movie is well paced and fun to watch. Not a very deep movie nor a game changer, but definitely an entertaining one (coming from a guy).
+

They're both pretty good movies, but I thought The Vow was much better than Safe Haven.

The Terminator
Last night i'll watched the first part of the Iron Man Movie. Old but really loves the movie.

The Hateful Eight (2015)

+

When I first heard Tarantino was making another Western, I was not excited. The trailer did nothing to help my enthusiasm, so my expectations were not high. I'm not completely sure how good I think this is. My feelings went back and forth during the movie, I woke up this morning not thinking much of it, and now my opinion has grown more favorable after thinking about it during the day. At one point I thought I'd never watch it again, and now I want to watch it again soon. With another viewing my opinion could drop or soar, and I have no idea which.

Not much of a story, and that's fine and expected. It's all just an excuse to show off. The cast is fine, but I didn't think anybody particularly stood out. The one exception may be Jennifer Jason Leigh, but I found that later in the film when she had more dialogue, her effectiveness went down. Sam Jackson is consistently good doing what would be expected from him. Kurt Russell is mostly good, but I didn't think as consistent. Walton Goggins was an interesting casting decision. He's an actor I like, and he plays the racist redneck type well. I thought he was decent, but also a bit inconsistent. Tim Roth has a role that's made to stand out, but I don't think it quite got there. He's good though, although if the credits said Chris Waltz was the actor, I would have never known the difference. Except for Reservoir Dogs, I think Michael Madsen is a bum, but I thought he did well with limited responsibility. Bruce Dern was also ok in a role that didn't require much. Channing Tatum was also ok, but forgettable in limited screen time. As a whole, the cast does a good job, but there's no Mr. Pink, no Jules, and no Hans Landa.

I thought the dialogue was much like the cast in that it was not memorable or consistent, but I thought there were some great moments. I thought that some of the attempts at humor failed miserably. The violence, all in the second half of the film, was pretty effective, and I though the most brutal of any Tarantino film. As advertised, the film looks fantastic, and the musical score was excellent. There were times that I thought I was watching people trying to put on a show, rather than watching a movie, and that led to me feeling that the overall tone was a little uneven. I'm someone who believes that Tarantino's first three films are by far his best, and obviously I have a few complaints about this movie. Despite that, Tarantino's movies have an undeniable life about them that is uncommon in the film industry. A big part of it is the anticipation he builds; you always know that something is going to happen. I don't quite think this movie is great, but there's great in it. Many will love it, but I also think it will get it's share of negative talk.
Yeah that is one of the other problems I had with the film, it felt more like they were putting on a show then actually acting.

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)
Terrific film. I've never seen any of the other films in the Mad Max series, so I can't compare it to the rest of them, but this was one of the best films I've seen in 2015. It works on many different levels, as an action film, a tale of redemption, and of survival, and is equally compelling in each area. I can't compare Tom Hardy to Mel Gibson's take on the character since I haven't seen the first three films, but Hardy turns in a solid performance, relying more on his physicality than his words (which can be said for most of the characters in the film). He and Charlize Theron play well off of each other here, making what is essentially one long car chase into one of the best films of 2015.

I'll be interested to see what they do with the next one, assuming that they do continue on with another Mad Max. It would seem due to the rave reviews that this one has gotten that there would be another. It certainly deserves another entry, as Mad Max: Fury Road is certainly the most interesting franchise film that we've gotten this year, even better than the outstanding Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation.

Welcome to the human race...
Cop Car -

Actually pretty tense at points but that's only to compensate for just how much of it ends up being a bit too slow.

They're both pretty good movies, but I thought The Vow was much better than Safe Haven.
I thought The Vow had much better acting, but I still liked the plot from Safe Haven a little bit more.

Star Wars : The Force Awakens
J.J. Abrams
I had such high expectations regarding this film, particularly after I read reviews from multiple sources. I was left extremely disappointed by it. Even if the acting is great and the special effects are superb, I can't believe how simple, predictable and boring the scenario is. Was that really a needed episode ? I just can't believe how good the critics are for such an average film. Yes, it stays true to the universe and I loved to see the old characters again, but the storyline is just... meh. It's a very entertaining movie, don't get me wrong. But in my opinion, the number one reason why people are loving this film so much right now is because of all the hype surrounding the movie and the Star Wars universe. Give it a year or two, when the movie will have been released on DVD and people will have watched it once all of this hype is gone, and I'm positive that the ratings will go down.

Antman

i like paul rudd but this film is pretty slow and boring, and it's filled with total nonsense.

His mass is completely inconsistent.. sometime he is heavy when small, sometimes he is as light as a feather. When he makes small objects big those objects gain a ton of mass and become heavier.

An example being the toy train that gets huge and then crushes a car when it falls. where does all the mass come from? Going off of that scene alone, this technology should revolutionize the entire world. Take a steak and make it 1,000,000x bigger now you feed an entire city. Enlarge a duracell battery and power the entire city too. Free food, free energy, this is ridiculous that it isn't being used to such a positive effect. instead .. oh lets punch people while we're small. seriously?

Another huge problem - tony stark is special and powerful because of his energy source. this lets him fly, this lets him shoot energy beams… but randomly the bad guy in this film builds a suit that can FLY AND SHOOT LASERS and this is totally overlooked? The dude has an entire iron man suit!!! Plus it can shrink and grow, it makes tony stark look like his suit is just a high school project compared to what they have here.

Epic fail.