Pacific Rim

→ in
Tools    

Overall, a very decent flick. Definitely worth the 10 or so dollars you'd spend seeing it in the theaters, or better yet, in IMAX. The action was great, but the character development could've gone a little deeper; hopefully we get a prequel. Some of the one-liners really killed me, almost reminded me of Power Rangers working they're mechs lol. I'll wait for the DVD, apparently it'll have around an hour of extra footage!

8 out of 10

Will Frey

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The movie made diddly-squat in the box-office, but considering it was overshadowed by Grown Ups 2, I don't think that serves as a fair representation of how good it is.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
The movie made diddly-squat in the box-office, but considering it was overshadowed by Grown Ups 2, I don't think that serves as a fair representation of how good it is.
Rotten Tomatoes rated Grown ups at 7% from critics, but users rated it 90%. Sandler has a pretty big fanbase.

I liked it. I haven't gotten into the giant Japanese monsters movies yet, so I didn't really enjoy it really for nostalgia reasons, which it seems like it a big draw in for a lot of people. but hey, who thinks giant monsters fighting for two and a half hours doesn't sound awesome? The actual fights themselves were definitely the film's highest point for me, but I don't dislike the rest of the film like a lot of people have, it tells a fine enough story IMO. And it has a few great over the top performances as well (Burn Gorman, and Ron Perlman, in bright red, of course.) I wasn't even aware Charlie Day was in it, and he's always funny.

I really hope they make enough money to warrant a sequel, or at least if not, some other media influenced by it (comic books, graphic novels, story driven video game installment, etc.) I hope in the next installment they dig deeper into the monster's motives, why they're invading Earth, and so forth.
WARNING: "Pacific Rim" spoilers below
It seems like del Toro was definitely trying to say something around the end of the film when they kept focusing on the alien's face before the giant explosion that destroyed the portal; the alien had a very innocent, somewhat oblivious face before it happened. I dunno, it's one of the scenes that kind of stuck with me, it might be nothing.

Yep, thought it rocked. The big action just felt...Big! Had a real weight to the fights and robots, and managed to mostly avoid the Transformers thing where the action is so fast you cant see what is happening.

Watched it. Very good blockbuster movie, in fact, probably Del Toro best movie.
+
You have much more varied taste than me. But usually when you like an English spoken, non animated film, I do as well. Going to check it out.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
The fact that Del Toro is directing this movie is enough for me to shell out any amount to watch it otherwise i would say this is a modern day Ultraman or Powerman movie.

btw was Pacific Rim the reason Del Toro opted out of The Hobbit? [not that im upset about Jackson returning to the helm]

btw was Pacific Rim the reason Del Toro opted out of The Hobbit? [not that im upset about Jackson returning to the helm]
No, The Hobbit was taking too long to get into production because of studio hogwash, and he was away in New Zealand from his family for like three years I think.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Pacific Rim

Del Toro's film is an homage is the classic cheesy B movie monster flicks in the style of Godzilla VS Mothra. This time we have giant robots versus giant monsters. Going into the film wanting and or expecting any sort of story or character development.

Throughout the film Del Toro kept painting pictures with his camera. Numerous times I would think to myself how a particular shot looked like it could be right out of a graphic novel. Del Toro uses vibrant colours, as his usually does, to make the film look gorgeous. No complaints here.

The one thing that always seems to hold his films back, may be on my end. He is a talent vision, creates unique monsters that he loves to use in his features, and crafts thrilling films. Yet I simply like them, I'm never head over heels for them. I don't really get it. I should love all his films, but I don't. I think they're good, not great. Which is a shame cause almost all his stuff is right up my alley.

Pacific Rim is exactly what one would want from a rock 'em, sock 'em robot/monster feature.

Suspect's Reviews

Whoever went to watch this film expecting great dialogues or deep characters is like expecting Shakespeare quotes from King Kong and Godzilla. Having said that the visual is amazing and the size of it is like a million times bigger than all Transformers tied up together.

I doubt anyone went into Pacific Rim expecting Shakespeare thb.

I've yet to see it and haven't read a great deal on it but I know from the trailer what to expect.

I just watched this the other day and though I'm not in the Godzilla Japanese type movies I thought this one was pretty good. Lots of action and the plot seemed to move right along pretty quickly without stalling out. All in all I would give it 4 stars out of 5.

The best movie of its type ever - its type being, movies about giant monsters fighting giant robots. Love it.

We really enjoyed this, the wife and I. This was this year's feel good flick of the year. Much like Real Steel was for us last year..

The film received a lot of criticism, all of which I found unfounded. It's a throwback to the eastern b monster movies, and from that standpoint it excelled. The imagery and shot sequences were superbly done. Yes the acting and script were marginal at best but if you went into this film expecting citizen Kane you were badly mistaken. This film shines where it's meant to, and in my opinion well worth the few dollars because it truly entertains.