10 Best Movies Of The Last 10 Years

Tools    

genesis_pig : From where is it that you come from, stranger?

wintertriangles : There's a best of the 40s thread a best of the 20s thread. Continue the trend yall!

Cries&Whispers : Synecdoche, New York in no way compares to Adaptation IMO. Adaptation is this quirky auto-biographical satire on melo-drama. Same metafictional themes, but utterly different execution. Some of the visuals realized in Synecdoche are like none I've ever seen before. I absolutely feel it is at least 10 places higher than Adaptation on any list.

What do you mean? Like you'd like to have a list of the best movies from each decade?
That wouldn't hurt but I meant that it would be nice to have already experienced the thousands of flicks since a century ago. The only reason I've seen so many from the 70's to now is because of how readily accessible they are

Synecdoche, New York in no way compares to Adaptation IMO. Adaptation is this quirky auto-biographical satire on melo-drama. Same metafictional themes, but utterly different execution. Some of the visuals realized in Synecdoche are like none I've ever seen before. I absolutely feel it is at least 10 places higher than Adaptation on any list.
It helps to see his stuff in the order they were released because of this

Also, on the favorite decade of film thread, there's a great deal of lists on the 80s and other decades.

There's a best of the 40s thread a best of the 20s thread. Continue the trend yall!

Synecdoche, New York in no way compares to Adaptation IMO. Adaptation is this quirky auto-biographical satire on melo-drama. Same metafictional themes, but utterly different execution. Some of the visuals realized in Synecdoche are like none I've ever seen before. I absolutely feel it is at least 10 places higher than Adaptation on any list.
They are in subject matter and themes extremely similar movies, studying the artistic process and all its inspiration, creative impotence, interpersonal communication, etc... Plus what is any Charlie Kaufmann movie if not a meta mindf*ck?

But which are you saying is better? Adaptation.? Because Adaptation. is #62 on my list, and Synecdoche, New York is #53, literally ten spots higher.

@genesis pig: Which movie haven't you seen?
From your list the only movie I didn't watch is In the mood for love. Had seen bits of it. But never found time to actually watch it... Looks beautiful.. & I am certain I will love it. I enjoyed Chungking Express a lot.

I haven't seen most of Planet's movies.. Absolutely nothing by Lars Von Trier.
The thing about foreign films is that I am usually too tired to watch movies with subtitles. But I do find time for it sometimes, mostly on weekends. but weekends are the busiest sometimes..

They are in subject matter and themes extremely similar movies, studying the artistic process and all its inspiration, creative impotence, interpersonal communication, etc... Plus what is any Charlie Kaufmann movie if not a meta mindf*ck?
Formally, they are not extremely similar (embeddedness, multiplication of the levels). At the surface narrative they are not extremely similar (temporaly, temperament of the main character, the exploration of relationships [much, much deeper in S, NY], apocalypse "outside" like in The Sacrifice). Thematically they are absolutely about the same thing, the relationship of an author to his/her work. I almost wanted to say that Adaptation did touch on life and death but I just remembered that it did.

But which are you saying is better? Adaptation.? Because Adaptation. is #62 on my list, and Synecdoche, New York is #53, literally ten spots higher.
Damn right. 11 spots up. See mai list. Synecdoche is #4.

Awesome. Hey have you ever watched any Satyajit Ray movies? There's a foreign director whose films you'd enjoy. I recommend the entire Apu Trilogy, but especially Pather Panchali. Also, Jean Renoir made his first color movie, The River, in India.I think it's probably one of the most lush, opulent movies of all time.

Apu Trilogy **** yeah! Basically the only films I've seen from India other than American interpretations like Darjeeling and of course Slumdog.

Formally, they are not extremely similar (embeddedness, multiplication of the levels). At the surface narrative they are not extremely similar (temporaly, temperament of the main character, the exploration of relationships [much, much deeper in S, NY], apocalypse "outside" like in The Sacrifice).
I think the interpersonal relationships in Adaptation. were explored just as deeply as in Synecdoche, New York. I actually think this was a major theme of the movie, as it usually is in a Kaufmann film. The same with embeddedness, I can find instances of this in both films equally. I'm not sure what you mean by multiplication of the levels, but if that is in reference to the films' structures, I think they're similar even in this way. They both seem to operate on multiple planes of consciousness or meaning for the artist, and in both, the line between the film's narrative and the director's presentation of that narrative is blurred to the point where they virtually become one.

Thematically they are absolutely about the same thing, the relationship of an author to his/her work. I almost wanted to say that Adaptation did touch on life and death but I just remembered that it did.
Yeah, life and death was almost the central theme of Adaptation. Remember, the adaptation did not so much refer to the adaptation of the novel as biological adaptation, the cycle of life, the nature of death. The death of Chris Cooper's wife completely defines him, Charlie's 'brother' dies in the end, and the movie is dedicated to him, they show a live birth for Christ's sake.

Damn right. 11 spots up. See mai list. Synecdoche is #4.
I think Roger Ebert named it the best film of the decade.

I was going to write something (<- been saying this ***** a lot lately) on Synecdoche, but couldn't come up with a thesis. Well, thank you C&W, because you've inspired me. I think I'm going to make my thesis how Synecdoche goes so much further than Adaptation and rocks all that much harder.

Ebert

I was going to write something (<- been saying this ***** a lot lately) on Synecdoche, but couldn't come up with a thesis. Well, thank you C&W, because you've inspired me. I think I'm going to make my thesis how Synecdoche goes so much further than Adaptation and rocks all that much harder.

Ebert
Just for the record, I consider Synecdoche to be the superior movie--that's why it's higher on my list. It was initially in my top 25 actually, but it got bumped down considerably the more I thought about it. But my main point is, they cover the same themes, the narratives are presented very similarly, and the structure is comparable. I think Synecdoche explores these themes much deeper, which makes sense since it's completely Kaufmann's own work, but they're still similar.

Ha, I've also been saying I'd work on my Top 100 list a lot lately.

A system of cells interlinked
I am just glad a few new smarties (smarmies??) have found their way to the boards recently...

There's a best of the 40s thread a best of the 20s thread. Continue the trend yall!
Yeah, there's threads for every decade kicking around here somewhere.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

and also

ladder 49
hurt locker

one of those movies that I like.

Lies and Illusions
Transformers 2
Santa with Muscles
The Last Airbender
Something's Gotta Give
Final Destination 2,3 & 4
Disaster Movie
Epic Movie
Meet The Spartans
Pearl Harbor

LOLOLOL

Lies and Illusions 9.5/10
Transformers 2 10/10
Santa with Muscles 9.5/10
The Last Airbender 9.5/10
Something's Gotta Give 8.5/10
Final Destination 2,3 & 4 10/10
Disaster Movie 10/10
Epic Movie 9/10
Meet The Spartans 10/10
Pearl Harbor 10/10
Awesome list, mate. I can tell you have really good taste in film because of your choices and from having seen quite a few films in my time.