Does Kick-Ass go too far?

Tools    

I'm not sure it's a huge jump; I think honey's pointing out that you don't have to believe in something to be interested in it, so not believing in exorcisms doesn't really tell us why you're not interested in the The Exorcist.
I really shouldn't have said "silly"--sounds too dismissive, which I didn't mean to be. Thing is, being generally indifferent to demonic possession, exorcisms, and people appearing to puke is IMHO "a huge jump" to concluding one dislikes fiction, especially since I've often cited outstanding works of fiction in this forum.

However, there are elements that often turn me off--one being scenes designed to shock or outrage me, whether it's the Alien bursting out of someone's belly or Jaws nipping at victims or Linda Blair's revolving head spraying green soup. Don't care much about the smoke and mirrors depiction of demonic possession, yet I liked the storyline and the director's original desire not to show the demon in the Dana Andrews classic Night of the Demon. I'm also not much on parables about Catholic doctrine, whether it's The Exorcist, The Da Vinci Code, or Shoes of the Fisherman. On the other hand, give me Orson Welles as the Borgia pope in The Prince of Foxes, and that I understand. Monty Python and the Holy Grail, fine; The Da Vinci Code, no.

Although not an element in The Exorcist, I'm generally repulsed by anything that takes the so-called Burmuda Triangle serious, especially the alleged "missing formation." So when in Close Encounters those dufus scientists turn a corner 10 minutes into the movie and come face to face with 5 Avenger dive bombers, I was ready to run for the exit. If I only had, I wouldn't have been subjected to Dreyfus bringing dirt and bricks inside to build a scale model of the Devil's Tower instead of using an extension cord to put the TV on the back porch and build his model mountain in the yard. Never did figure out why the aliens were sending message to the only guy in the US who didn't recognize the Devil's Tower national landmark.

Bottom line: I like good fiction. But there are some subjects and a few actors who I'd rather just avoid. I liked The Day the Earth Stood Still, a flying saucer film for intelligent adults. I didn't like the childish E.T.

I don't believe in the walking dead, but I still watch all Romero's movies. (did that sound harsh?) Not meaning to.
Not at all. I saw one. It was enough. On the other hand, Shaun of the Undead was funny! I mean how smart and fast do you have to be to out-think and out-run a dead person!

"photographers" Pfft! Dang single framers!
Not at all. I saw one. It was enough. On the other hand, Shaun of the Undead was funny! I mean how smart and fast do you have to be to out-think and out-run a dead person!
They aren't for everyone (Romero flicks). My wife hates them. She says they aren't scary...just stupid and violent. Oh well...I don't call "The Joy Luck Club" a powerhouse of entertainment, but she does. To each their own. As long as I don't bring dead folks in the house, she's fine with it.

They aren't for everyone (Romero flicks). My wife hates them. She says they aren't scary...just stupid and violent. Oh well...I don't call "The Joy Luck Club" a powerhouse of entertainment, but she does. To each their own. As long as I don't bring dead folks in the house, she's fine with it.
Some years ago, there was a film about a woman whose husband had died but he (or his ghost) later showed up at the house, hanging around and visiting with her. Then he starts bringing other dead-folks home with him and they're sitting up all night watching goofy TV programs and (I think) turning up the heat because they, of course, are cold. Finally she has to throw them out, which apparently was what she needed to do anyway--cut her ties to the dead and go back to living. Don't remember the title, but that's the type of "living dead" films I prefer.

Some years ago, there was a film about a woman whose husband had died but he (or his ghost) later showed up at the house, hanging around and visiting with her. Then he starts bringing other dead-folks home with him and they're sitting up all night watching goofy TV programs and (I think) turning up the heat because they, of course, are cold. Finally she has to throw them out, which apparently was what she needed to do anyway--cut her ties to the dead and go back to living. Don't remember the title, but that's the type of "living dead" films I prefer.
You'd like the FRIGHTENERS, probably. John Astin was a great ghost in that one.
I think it's very underrated. One of Jackson's better film's (to me).

You'd like the FRIGHTENERS, probably. John Astin was a great ghost in that one.
I think it's very underrated. One of Jackson's better film's (to me).
I've seen most of The Frighteners on TV although it violates one of my film prejudices--I don't do serial killers. I've seen the real thing and don't want to see the movie version.

I've seen most of The Frighteners on TV although it violates one of my film prejudices--I don't do serial killers. I've seen the real thing and don't want to see the movie version.
Rufnek, you have aroused my curiosity, but I will leave it be, since it seems a sensitive subject.

Rufnek, you have aroused my curiosity, but I will leave it be, since it seems a sensitive subject.
Sensitive subject? Horror movies or mass murderers? What I meant is that I've seen and interviewed lots of killers in years of covering the police and court beats--I even talked by phone with one killer while the SWAT team was surrounding his house. I've been in close proximity with at least two mass killers--the kid that "Candy Man" Dean Coril paid to bring him young men and boys for sex slaves and for later helping kill them and hide their bodies (the guy killed Coril when he thought he might soon become a victim himself). Another was a really creepy SOB who left women's bodies buried in the back yards of former residences in the northern Midwest and California. The guy hated women, but this petite female detective with red hair and freckles got him to confess to the killings. Saw something on TV this morning that reminded me of her and I've been trying to think of her name all day--she was the toughest, most gutsy cop I ever knew.

Coldest killer I ever saw, however, was a 14-year-old white kid who killed a 13-year-old black kid in a hallway at school in Lubbock, Tex. Just walked up to him and shot him dead. What was really raw was that he and a bunch of buddies had talked that morning about killing that kid over something that happened in gym class. It was decided that the 14-year-old as the youngest would be the trigger-man since he wouldn't be tried as an adult. So he went home for lunch, got one of the guns his dad had lying around, went back to school and murdered the other kid. Little bastard never showed a minute of regret or remorse--just clear-eyed and stone-cold as they come. He had the makings of a serial killer, but they just happened to nail him after his first victim. Of course, the little snot probably got out of jail years ago and may have run up his score since then.

Sensitive subject? Horror movies or mass murderers? What I meant is that I've seen and interviewed lots of killers in years of covering the police and court beats--I even talked by phone with one killer while the SWAT team was surrounding his house. I've been in close proximity with at least two mass killers--the kid that "Candy Man" Dean Coril paid to bring him young men and boys for sex slaves and for later helping kill them and hide their bodies (the guy killed Coril when he thought he might soon become a victim himself). Another was a really creepy SOB who left women's bodies buried in the back yards of former residences in the northern Midwest and California. The guy hated women, but this petite female detective with red hair and freckles got him to confess to the killings. Saw something on TV this morning that reminded me of her and I've been trying to think of her name all day--she was the toughest, most gutsy cop I ever knew.

Coldest killer I ever saw, however, was a 14-year-old white kid who killed a 13-year-old black kid in a hallway at school in Lubbock, Tex. Just walked up to him and shot him dead. What was really raw was that he and a bunch of buddies had talked that morning about killing that kid over something that happened in gym class. It was decided that the 14-year-old as the youngest would be the trigger-man since he wouldn't be tried as an adult. So he went home for lunch, got one of the guns his dad had lying around, went back to school and murdered the other kid. Little bastard never showed a minute of regret or remorse--just clear-eyed and stone-cold as they come. He had the makings of a serial killer, but they just happened to nail him after his first victim. Of course, the little snot probably got out of jail years ago and may have run up his score since then.
I understand. Apologies.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im liking the sound of this movie ruf its a shame you cant recall the name, does anyone have a clue into what this movie is called?

Im liking the sound of this movie ruf its a shame you cant recall the name, does anyone have a clue into what this movie is called?
Honeykid identified it out of forum as Truly, Madly, Deeply, with Alan Rickman and Juliet Stevenson. I do remember Rickman was in it, but that's about all I recall, although I liked the film at the time.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Honeykid identified it out of forum as Truly, Madly, Deeply, with Alan Rickman and Juliet Stevenson. I do remember Rickman was in it, but that's about all I recall, although I liked the film at the time.
Nice one and well done HK I will keep an eye out for this

no, it's awesome.

Kick-Ass is an offensive and nearly disgusting movie for reasons I have described over here . And I don't mean because of the C-word.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Hell, these days I'd rather bring my kid to see an "R" rated movie that had some profanity in it than watch the news.

More offensive than Chloe belting out the c-word was the beating that she took at the end of the film.

Nothing offensive about this flick in the least.

Loved almost every second of it.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I've not seen Kick Ass, but reading this I felt a shock that an 11 year old kid could be saying the C word in a film, and to have it been suggested by her mum. I know kids can use bad language, and I've even heard this word used in a supermarket to a child by it's mother, but it feels like the last taboo somehow. I promise I'm not going all Daily Mail, but I dunno, it makes me feel a bit sad

Warning for the language in the article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...s-bad-language

It never ceases to amaze me how much power easily offended folks give to a word.

You see it all the time though, Movies will be on TV and edited for constent (salty language), but violence is A-ok.

weird.