2021 Film Challenge

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
After reading, yet another brilliant Review by @Takoma11, I have another film added to this, that has me greatly intrigued.
Thank you SO MUCH for both of them. As well as, most likely, any future gems of yours that will most likely catch my eye.

"Nightmare Mode"
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way
watch 10 animated films
Le roi et l'oiseau aka The King and the Mockingbird (1980)

The First one:
"Main Challenge"
C. I coulda been a contender:
[Watch a film that has won the following awards in any category]
6. Venice International Film Festival The Last Circus (2010)

After reading, yet another brilliant Review by @Takoma11, I have another film added to this, that has me greatly intrigued.
Thank you SO MUCH for both of them. As well as, most likely, any future gems of yours that will most likely catch my eye.

"Nightmare Mode"
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way
watch 10 animated films
Le roi et l'oiseau aka The King and the Mockingbird (1980)
It's definitely a unique film. I'm glad I finally got a chance to see it.

Love seeing Shoplifters on your list--I thought it was fabulous.

And of course I can't wait to see what you think of Short Term 12.
One goal I had heading into this list was to catch up with some of the titles that I missed on my school's Cinema International...films like Shoplifters, 4 Months, 3 Days and 2 Nights, and even '71 looked interesting on paper but whether it was due to work or school work, I missed out on them. But hopefully given a second chance, I'll dive headfirst into them.

As for Short Term 12, I should be done with it this weekend. From what I've seen so far, it looks like a winner in a year that's been kind of short on them.

One goal I had heading into this list was to catch up with some of the titles that I missed on my school's Cinema International...films like Shoplifters, 4 Months, 3 Days and 2 Nights, and even '71 looked interesting on paper but whether it was due to work or school work, I missed out on them. But hopefully given a second chance, I'll dive headfirst into them.

As for Short Term 12, I should be done with it this weekend. From what I've seen so far, it looks like a winner in a year that's been kind of short on them.
Yay!

Also, I thought '71 was pretty good! Worth checking out for sure. Have you seen Starred Up? I find Jack O'Connell to be a pretty compelling lead actor.

Yay!

Also, I thought '71 was pretty good! Worth checking out for sure. Have you seen Starred Up? I find Jack O'Connell to be a pretty compelling lead actor.
Indeed, I have. Jack has what I think is a can't miss charismatic quality that keeps your eyes on the screen. And Ben Mendelsohn is pretty darned good as well.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times!
Watch 10 films released in the same decade (70s)

Enter the Dragon
Dark Star
Being There
Logan’s Run
Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Jabberwocky
Belladonna of Sadness
When a Stranger Calls
Equinox
36th Chamber of Shaolin

I thought that Jabberwocky was kind of a dud, but the rest I enjoyed to varying degrees.

The trick is not minding
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times!
Watch 10 films released in the same decade (70s)

Enter the Dragon
Dark Star
Being There
Logan’s Run
Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Jabberwocky
Belladonna of Sadness
When a Stranger Calls
Equinox
36th Chamber of Shaolin

I thought that Jabberwocky was kind of a dud, but the rest I enjoyed to varying degrees.
Of these ten, I’ve heard of only eight. Never heard of Equinox nor Belladonna of Sadness.
Of the eight I’ve heard of, I’ve seen four. In order I’ve enjoyed them:
1. Being There
2. Enter the Dragon
3. Logan’s Run
4. Killing of a Chinese Bookie.

Good stuff.

Of these ten, I’ve heard of only eight. Never heard of Equinox nor Belladonna of Sadness.
Of the eight I’ve heard of, I’ve seen four. In order I’ve enjoyed them:
1. Being There
2. Enter the Dragon
3. Logan’s Run
4. Killing of a Chinese Bookie.

Good stuff.
I would give a moderate recommendation to both Equinox and Belladonna, both were like
films for me. As a horror fan you might enjoy Equinox more than the average viewer.

Documentary, my dear Watson
watch 10 documentaries
Class Action Park
In and Of Itself
White Rock
Team Foxcatcher
Scream, Queen!
Bright Leaves
Domestic Violence
Rejoice and Shout
Praying with Lior
Check It

Aside from Bright Leaves and Class Action Park (both of which were merely okay), I would highly recommend all of these.

The stuff that lists are made of
pick any one list from section G of the main challenge and watch 10 films in it (Schneider’s 1001 Movies)
Now Voyager
The Lady Eve
Blackmail
The American Friend
Incredible Shrinking Man
Caravaggio
Ladykillers
Black Sunday
42nd Street
Viy

I still need to write up a few of these. I liked or really liked all of them. Special hat tip to Incredible Shrinking Man, Caravaggio, and Black Sunday.

My precious...awards
pick any one list from section C of the main challenge and watch 10 films in it (2020 Oscar Winners)

1. Tenet (2020)
  2. Soul (2020)
  3. Nomadland (2020)
  4. Trial of the Chicago Seven (2020)
  5. Ma Rainy's Black Bottom (2020)
  6. Time (2020)
  7. Judas and the Black Mesiah (2020)
  8. One Night in Miami (2020)
  9. Sound of Metal(2020)
  10. Another Road (2020)
Now obviouslythe Oscars won't happen until April 25th with the nominations Monday, and I'll have to watch more nominated films but it looks like these are the Oscar winners

Welcome to the human race...
But it doesn't have to be 2020's Oscar winners, it can be Oscar winners from any point in history. The odds of all ten of those films winning are not so high as to be certain (even going off Globes wins as a predictor, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and Sound of Metal both competed for Best Actor - Drama and the former beat the latter so at least one of them will probably lose if they are only competing against one another).

But it doesn't have to be 2020's Oscar winners, it can be Oscar winners from any point in history. The odds of all ten of those films winning are not so high as to be certain (even going off Globes wins as a predictor, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and Sound of Metal both competed for Best Actor - Drama and the former beat the latter so at least one of them will probably lose if they are only competing against one another).
I know it doesn't have to be but I'm watching the Oscar films so might as well keep track of them.

We'll see what happens with the categories but my belief is

Nomadland(Zhao)
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom(Boseman)
Judas and the Black Mesiah (Kaluuya)
Sound of Metal(Sound)
Trial of the Chicago Seven (Sorkin)
Soul (Animated)
Time (Documentary)
One Night in Miami (Song)
Tenet (Visual Effects)
Another Road (Foreign)

You likely aren't going to see a film win 7-8 Oscars so it'll spread out, I've got two categories that I haven't slotted in yet.

Supporting Actress, and Actress with the belief(films I haven't seen yet are in bold but I'm going to see them)...

Best Actress
Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)
Davis (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)
McDormand (Nomadland)
Day (United States vs Billie Holiday)
Kirby (Pieces of a Woman)

Best Supporting Actress
Olivia Coleman (Father)
Yuh-Jung Youn (Minari)
Amanda Seyfried (Mank)
Glenn Close (Hillbilly Elegy)
Maria Bakalova (Borat 2)

Now could Sound of Metal lose out on Sound and thus not get any Oscars...sure so I pull it off and replace it with Mank. Soul loses to Wolfwalkers...well I'm going to watch that one anyways..so I just move it over to the animated list.

The trick is not minding
Update 3/12
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

D. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres list below]
1. [Horror: Slasher] - The Initiation (1984)
2. [Horror: Monster] - The Golem (1920)
3. [Horror: Paranormal] - Muse (2018)
4. [Horror: Gore] - Yummy (2019)

I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
watch 10 films from the same country

Japan:
1. Sanshiro Sugata Part 2 (1945)
2. The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tail (1945)
3. No Regrets For Our Youth (1946)
4. One Wonderful Sunday (1947)
5. Drunken Angel (1948)
6. The Quiet Duel (1949)
7. Stray Dog (1949)
8. Scandal (1950)
9. Ikiru (1952)
10. Seven Samurai (1954)

completed another "bracket" today

Was Seven Samurai a first-time watch? It's one of my favorites!
I'd never seen ANY Kurosawa film until last month, so these are all first-timers. SS is indeed a monster of a film, shortest 3.5 hours of my life.

One film that I never hear about is One Wonderful Sunday, which I absolutely loved. I recommend it if you haven't seen it.

I'd never seen ANY Kurosawa film until last month, so these are all first-timers. SS is indeed a monster of a film, shortest 3.5 hours of my life.

One film that I never hear about is One Wonderful Sunday, which I absolutely loved. I recommend it if you haven't seen it.
I have yet to dislike anything of his.