Connor Macgregor Reviews...Children's Television

Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Story of Tracy Beaker
1x18 - Helpful Tracy

INTRO: Another Tracy/Cam centric episode in which Tracy tries to get into Cam's good books in a very different way.

SUMMARY: Tracy tries to become clean and tidy at the DG, believing Cam doesn't want to foster her for her bad behavior. Meanwhile, it's Maxy's clothing allowance day and it nearly ends in disaster when Maxy locks himself, Jenny's minivan keys and Mike's spare keys in the van all over a pair of trainers that Jenny liked but Maxy didn't. Meanwhile, Peter is trying to improve his football skills and accidentally hits Cam.

THOUGHTS: Tracy is on an ongoing quest to get Cam to foster her, and goes for the tactic by being as helpful as possible within the care home. This sadly coincides with Cam having pretty much the most disastrous day possible. However when events go awry, this leads to a moment where Tracy proves at her most helpful. You also have a subplot with Maxy & Jenny over buying new trainers. Maxy is eager for the red ones, whilst Jenny wants strong pairs that will last. And because of this, we see Maxy at his most annoying and most selfish. I think the intention is to hate Jenny in this scenario and side with Maxy, but I’m not going to lie here, you sympathise with Jenny in this situation in which Maxy just does not compromise. Plus the white trainers are nicer than the red.

RATING: 73% - B+

1x19 - New Friend

INTRO: New Friend is a delightful relief for Tracy in many ways. Enabling her, just temporary, a with a female friend to bond with, whilst they both deal with stressful periods in their lives.

SUMMARY: Samantha is an eleven-year-old girl whose life is dominated by her mother. When her mother is rushed to hospital, Samantha must stay at the DG, where she strikes up a close bond with Tracy. Meanwhile there is a headlice epidemic in the house.

THOUGHTS: This episode is a delight to watch, with New Girl Samantha ruffling some feathers and brightening up others. Her time is minimal but impressionable none the less. Louise first tries to befriend her, only to find her irritating. So from that, Tracy decides to swoop in and from there a unique friendship is formed. And its beautiful. Fun. Happy. For once, Tracy has found a unique and treasured bond with another girl her age, after so far having found nothing but animosity and alienation from her own peers in the Dumping Ground, with only an outsider like Ben being the exception. And then it all comes to a sudden end. Samantha’s mother for a brief scene she’s in is utterly horrid. A snide, controlling woman who just seems to have way too much power over Samantha’s life. I’ve dreamt up a very dark backstory for Samantha which is only strengthened due to this scene. Moving on to the subplot and it’s a knit themed one. The Dumping Ground is invested with them and the boys seek to hide. It’s a fun subplot and poor Maxi is ignored in the last scene and is subjected to a cruel little bit of humiliation when he wets himself. I liked the scene where they hide in the attic, and for the most part avoid the staff up until the last minute.

RATING: 96% - A

1x20 - Treasure Hunt

INTRO: Treasure Hunt is just such a sheer joy of an episode, putting all the characters with the exception of Mike together in a fun game/event in which everyone will go to the limit to obtain the mystery prize.

SUMMARY: Elaine's decided the best way to get everybody together will be a Treasure Hunt. Naturally, it doesn't go according to plan. Tracy and Jenny pair up and discover that the prize is packets of coloured pencils.

THOUGHTS: Treasure Hunt is just a fantastically fun episode, in which pretty much all of the characters (with the exception of Cam & Mike) are thrown into this fun scenario of a treasure hunt for a mystery prize. The fun part of it is watching Tracy & Jenny form a hilarious alliance to get on by back at Justine & Elaine respectively. With that comes a lot of gags and funny moments throughout the episode, in particular with Justine & Louise in which a certain jokes gives Justine a fantastic one liner which I think is brilliant. (HINT: It’s the bit with the centipede). Jenny on one hand can be a bit over the top in this episode, particularly when it comes to getting one over on Elaine which I think is a bit embarrassing to watch. Some of the rounds in the treasure hunt are quite good though, with the likes of insects, bendy twigs, and smelly socks. It just becomes overall a great laugh and a treat to watch overall.

RATING: 95% - A

1x21 - Romance

INTRO: I won't lie Romance hasn't been a favourite of mine for as long as I can remember watching Tracy Beaker, and revisiting it all these years later, I still haven't really changed my opinion.

SUMMARY: Tracy believes if Cam finds a man and get married, she will foster her. She sets her up with Mike, as she seems to like him. Meanwhile, at the DG, the tables are turned on Jenny and Duke when Justine and Louise decide to swap roles with them for the day following a bust up over each other's make-up.

THOUGHTS: Following overhearing a question from Mike, Tracy’s imagination escapes her and presents the idea of Mike & Cam being a romantic couple. I have to say romance in children’s television can be a hard idea to present. You really have to fall in love and route for the couple on their romantic adventure, and if badly executed, can be a very awkward story to watch. And this here is one of those stories. It is such a struggle to get through, and it really drags the episode down. Never the less, the subplot on the other hand is a lot more fun to watch. Justine & Louise trade places with Jenny & Duke in a sort of role playing situation. This is fun to watch and a nice distraction from the main story. There are some fun ways of how they run the care home and resolve situations and conflicts that arise.

RATING: 71% - B+

1x22 - Temporary Care Worker

INTRO: This is a fun episode which sees Tracy take on a temporary care worker who may have some tricks up her sleeve herself.

SUMMARY: It's clothing allowance day. Tracy has been saving up and wants Jenny to take her out to get a whole new wardrobe. What she gets is Leah, a temporary care worker who's filling in while Jenny's in hospital following an operation. But when everyone takes a trip to town, Tracy ensures that Leah is about to experience a day from hell.

THOUGHTS: Tracy gets blindsided when a new temporary care worker to fill in while Jenny is in hospital. Leah is a younger, more punky and down to earth care worker who has some personal experience with the care system and life in care in general. The care kids get put off by her and try to play mind games with her early on, but Leah on the other hand is smart. A fun battle of the minds takes place between the kids and Leah, with the new care worker prevailing. Also, Leah seems to be very friendly and holds history with Mike, Duke & Adele of all people. For a while, you think Tracy has truly met her match, until she decides to try a basic trick in the book. Either way, by the time you get to the end of the episode, you get a full picture of Leah’s history and why she’s so witty and smart. It’s a strong episode and one which I like a lot more upon watching it again.

RATING: 90% - A-

1x23 - Cut The Weed

INTRO: The final official appearance of Peter is quite a terrific episode about change and reacting to change.

SUMMARY: It's Peter's last day at the DG before he goes to live with Terry and Jill. Everyone attends his party, except Tracy, who is secretly looking after two giant African land snails for the weekend. Later that night, the snails escape and everyone is secretly roaming the corridors of the DG - including Peter, who has run away from his new life before it has even begun.

THOUGHTS: The episode begins with Peter’s leaving do, a very relaxed and if I’m honest, bland event. You can see by all the other kids in the room that there is little enthusiasm or care for his departure. Hell, even Tracy shows up late, hiding something in a box. What they are is big large African snails, which you can either find very cute or absolutely disgusting regarding your perspective. The episode then moves to night time, with everyone sneaking around after hours. Zac & Ryan have a fallout in which Ryan moves out and swaps with Maxie due to Zac’s vampire obsession. Adele sneaks out and ends up coming back too late as a result, whilst Tracy’s snails get out and and are all over the care home, resulting in her and Peter trying to find them, who he himself is having adjusting pains to a new home. I think in this episode, Tracy is quite mature and helpful in what is a rare moment between her and Peter. Another positive note is the use of lighting here and utilising shadows around the night time scenes.

RATING: 90% - A-

1x24 - Need Armbands

INTRO: Tracy & Ben bond even more when Ben shows Tracy his house and enormous wealth that exists with his family. And then, Tracy as usual, gets in over her head.

SUMMARY: Tracy has had enough of waiting for Cam after she cancels their afternoon of swimming. Tracy visits Ben and realises his parents would be perfect for her.

THOUGHTS: Despite Tracy’s more mature approach in the last episode with Peter, she regresses very much in the opening scene regarding Cam, after she gets late for a day out with Tracy. So as an alternative, she goes to Ben’s house and becomes instantly awed, and like many times before, her head goes away with the fairies and tries to convince Ben’s mum to foster her. I always found Ben’s mum to be quite a cold person, very much a workaholic and quiet. She seems nice enough, but something that matches very well with Ben’s character being a bit of a wayward and wandering figure who has begun to use The Dumping Ground as a refuge of sorts. Cam eventually shows up, and resumes from the episode’s start in terms of tension. It culminates with an argument at the swimming pool over Tracy being spoiled. It’s there that Tracy finally does understand for a moment what she has in life and begins to appreciate the opportunities that have opened up for her regarding Cam. Despite having all that wealth and comfort, Ben could be considered being quite unhappy and miserable despite being financially privileged.

RATING: 81% - A-

1x25 - Miss You

INTRO: Series 1's second to last episode features the departure of another big character, this time an adult.

SUMMARY: Mike announces that he is leaving to work at another care home. Tracy's heartbroken by this and gets angry with him. Can Mike repair his relationship with Tracy before his last day? Meanwhile, The kids sacrifice their new DVD player to buy Mike a farewell gift.

THOUGHTS: The penultimate episode is a fun and one that sees the departure of a major character. It begins with the dumping ground kids being frustrated at a lack of home entertainment being rubbish and expressing the desire of having a DVD player. I’ll let that sink in for a moment. With that dilemma, their solution is to raise money by selling off possessions they no longer need, rather than wait and wait until its cheap. And through this story comes a curve ball no one expected – the departure of Mike! This really at the end throws everything in question, with high emotions all around, especially from Tracy of course. This in turn leads to an impulse act which Tracy then quickly regrets and makes the episode very moving and poignant for the story of Tracy and her overall arc throughout the entire series. The episode has a lovely end to it, with Mike departing with a fantastic tribute.

But trust me, this won’t be the last we see of him.

RATING: 100% - A+

1x26 - The End

INTRO: Finally, after almost a whole season of questions, of mistakes, of pondering, and of dillemmas, Cam finally makes a choice regarding Tracy's wellbeing.

SUMMARY: When Cam begins flat hunting, Tracy is convinced she will be moving in with her. But when Cam once again becomes doubtful over the idea, the pair have a huge argument and Tracy storms off. Back at the DG, it's make or break time as Cam makes her final decision. Meanwhile the DG residents and carers are busy creating a wall mural of residents and carers past and present after Jenny hosted a discussion with the other residents about something to remember residents and carers by when they come and go. In the end, everyone says a goodbye to Tracy as she lives with Cam with Mike returning to say goodbye as well before working at another care home.

THOUGHTS: The episode begins with a piece of graffiti on the front door of the dumping ground. No one’s admitting it and much rather make jokes or comments about it. As Tracy leaves, she discovers that Cam is meant to be viewing flats, which she then assumes that the extra space is for her, which Cam denies. The flat viewing scenes are good, with Tracy being her usual difficult self with the estate agent. A dramatic fallout between the two of them leads to Cam finally making a decision towards Tracy’s future. Meanwhile, the subplot continues with the graffiti and the dumping ground kids deciding to build a mural for the home. Through these ideas leads to the culprit being revealed – Adele! This is due to her departure to a halfway house, an event that has Adele keep her excitement very reserved. The ending finally sees Tracy fostered with a lovely final scene with all the characters finally seeing Tracy off to her new life with Cam.

But we’re only on Series One. There’s still plenty more to come.

RATING: 99% - A

Series One Retrospective

Overall Impressions: As always with first seasons, they all tend to be a trial of sorts, testing what works and what doesn’t. And it’s very much the same here. Some things work really well, where as other things tend to look dated and aged badly. It is strong in parts, in which we are introduced to the basic elements of the series. Whether that be The Dumping Ground, the care kids & workers, as well as various characters outside the care home. But what it also does is makes things very vanilla. You’d think with a series set in care, we would have something far more gritty and darker than what we actually get. It’s not a bad thing, but such something that is introverted with the series when people first approach the series with more serious expectations.

Tracy: Now when we actually put this character in a real life situation or care home, I highly doubt she would get away with a lot of the antics she did in this series. A hard to live with, bratty, intense, difficult tween who is constantly hostile to other care kids and care workers, presenting a cynical front as well as desperate for her Hollywood mum to come rescue her to live the good life abroad. With those traits though, there is deep down a much more vulnerable and misunderstood protagonist who can be isolated and anxious when the situation arises. The care home kids hardly rally round her, leaving Tracy with rarely any allies whatsoever. She does however meet people like Ben & Cam who become more open and interested in her personality, style of humour and aspirations and build a friendship with her. Tracy’s relationship is very key to this series as it builds and builds to a significant moment in the finale. I also really enjoyed her friendship with Ben. Its adorable and really quite fun to watch as they are both very similar, but from very different backgrounds. Then there is of course her mother, in which Tracy has done a stellar job at building her up to be this big Hollywood star, which of course no one believes. But the reason Tracy does this is to feel more secure and comfortable. Strange, but it makes sense.

Justine & Louise: The main antagonist in this first series is Justine Littlewood, a character in which hates Tracy from their very first scene together. Terrific. Getting straight to the point, I like it. Then there is Louise who is set up to be Tracy’s former best friend before Tracy left and Justine came in. She’s often caught in the middle and portrays a very girly goody goody image within the female care kids. It’s a character style that can often get quite annoying at times, but fits well none the less within the central cast.

Other Kid Characters: You have a wide selection of other care kids in series one, all with their own unique traits and personalities. First is Peter, a sweet younger kid who is very sensitive and likeable. He looks up to Tracy massively, despite Tracy’s constant hostility towards him. This leads to an episode where Tracy manipulates him to embrace his badder side, which proves disastrous. I’ve talked about it before but it does produce Tracy in a very unlikeable light. He’s a one off season character but his departure is handled very well and makes for a memorable episode. Next is Zac & Ryan, the first brother duo in the series. They have schemes and always have a plan or idea up their sleeve. If anything, they are an early versions of other brothers we may see in the series. I noted before how amazingly skilled Ryan is in certain situations and scenarios, where as Zac seems like more the immature and childish one when comparing between the two. They are fun to watch and provide a real light sense of fun within the series. Then we have Adele who is the oldest kid in care. She tries her best to have her own life away from the other kids, providing herself with independence and space. She can be feisty and very wound out by the other kids, yet they do look up to her when necessary, and she can get protective when the situation arises. The final episode of Series One hints at what could be in store for Adele going forward as she plans to move into a halfway house which will give Adele her first taste of independent living. Lastly we have Maxie, the youngest kid in care who I’d hate to say but is a fairly pointless character who doesn’t really do much. The only thing to him is a catchphrase and nothing else.

Care Workers: Of course with a show about care comes care workers and we have three very different but very good care workers. We’ll start with the head care worker Jenny, who I think is very firm and fair leader, yet can possess a fun side to her at times. She has moments of being down to earth and relatable as well as a very responsible and mature person with her position. Next is Mike. A good kind character that out of all of the care workers, is the closest to Tracy. He’s fairly likable and relaxed, a bit more so than Jenny Duke perhaps. He does depart after one series in the second to last episode, but rest assure we will see him again in the near future. Lastly there is Duke, who is the most fun and comical of the three. The chef of the household, he often is involved in food related plots and produced easy laughs throughout the series. That being said, he can be serious at times and does it fairly well. He is very enjoyable to watch and will prove to be a very crucial character in the future.

Elaine: Ultimately the key character for the next five series and the character that gives social workers nightmares as she is in many ways, the nightmare social worker. She comes off very arrogant, and dismissive of the kids views and ideas regarding their future. Even Jenny has some form of antagonism to her, though she hides it very well.

Cam: A light in Tracy’s life comes in the form of Cam, a journalist who writes an article of life in care, and comes across Tracy and becomes fascinated with her and her personality. Developing a curiosity to her, she is open to appreciating Tracy’s humour and approach to life, and begins pondering the idea of fostering her. That question becomes central through Series One and plays into Tracy’s relationship with Cam.

Ben: The only friend outside of care that Tracy gets and it becomes one of the most fun to watch. Ben ultimately starts by proclaiming he’s on the streets, which immediately makes him interesting from the start. This fake identity continues for a few episodes before eventually being found out by Tracy after Ben gets hurt. They have a fallout but make up in time for Tracy’s birthday. With that, Ben begins mingling with the rest of the care home and develops a much more happier and relaxed attitude as a result. See with Ben’s rich background, it has ultimately made him quite unhappy and feels more connected with the kids and sees it as a far more relaxing and fun atmosphere than where he is at home. We’ll see this a bit more in Series Two and where this leads for his career.

Key Episodes: There are some really strong episodes in Series One that deserve more note of praise. Tracy’s birthday episode surprised me more than I can remember and proved to be a bit of a rollercoaster for a children’s series. I also really enjoyed Miss You which was Mike’s departure episode and provided some closure to Mike & him and Tracy’s relationship. The finale episode is also terrific, as well as the Dares episode with Tracy & Justine which was based off the second novel The Dare Game, to some degree. Then there was the treasure hunt episode, which was more silly and wild but still really fun to see all the characters run around trying to win this mysterious prize, which would turn out to be quite a disappointment. Then there is the new girl episode, in which Tracy befriends a temporary new girl in the care home and develops quite a unique and sweet relationship with.

Flaws: I won’t lie and say that Series One has nitpicks and flaws. On the one hand, Tracy’s hairstyle in this series is atrocious and really quite awful and untamed. She grows it out in the next series and it looks so much better. The music is also quite flat at times, and the animation is very tame knowing that it will get better down the line. In fact, a lot of criticism is down to the perceived knowledge of future series going to improve and be stronger overall. It’s usually a common theme with a lot of Series/Season One’s with TV.

Rating = 81% - A-

I'll return to Tracy Beaker some other time, but we will stick with creations from Jacqueline Wilson as I get started with...

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Hetty Feather

Series One

1x01 - The Escape - Part 1

INTRO: A new series with a unique concept and a six series story that is in many ways a coming of age story about a young girl growing up in pretty tough circumstances in Victorian London. Welcome to Hetty Feather.

SUMMARY: In Victorian London, foundlings Hetty Feather and Gideon Smeed are fostered by the Cotton family until the age of five, when they are taken to the Foundling Hospital, run by the austere Matron Bottomly and separated into different wings for boys and girls. Hetty's story continues 7 years later, where she bumps into Mathias Grigg who plans to escape the hospital and its harsh regime.

REVIEW: From the bat, we’re introduced to the world of the foundling hospital as a young Hetty & Gideon are returned prior to living with their foster family. Hetty is the narrator of the series, with most of the series being from her perspective. Quickly we get an idea of how cruel and the level of mistreatment that exists within the walls of the foundling hospital. A quick flash forward introduces us to an older Hetty, who still has a mischievous side to her, as well as her own friends and enemies throughout the home.

The episode has a flu subplot which sees Hetty bedridden, which causes her to remember Gideon and wants to reach out with a message. To do this, she uses the air vents to enter into The Boys Wing and is introduced to Mathias and a partnership is then established. Mathias and the other boys plan to escape the hospital for better pastures, including Gideon. Hetty agrees to rewrite a more convincing letter in the process. However, their plan is thrown into jeopardy when Hetty is wrongly blamed for a mishap with food, and is sent to the cellar by the cruel Matron Bottomley, the series’ antagonist. With that, the episode ends on a cliffhanger.

I liked the debut episode a lot. A really nice soft introduction to the world, with some decent performances from adult and children. I’m eager to see where this continues to go and to further fall in love with the story of Hetty Feather.

RATING: 77% - B+

1x02 - The Escape Part 2

INTRO: Continuing from the first episode, Hetty sets out a daring escape from The Foundling Hospital.

SUMMARY: Having sworn that she would look after Gideon, Hetty makes efforts to see him, meeting Mathias, an older boy who looks after Gideon and who plans to escape and run away to sea. Hetty helps Mathias craft a letter to the man who will facilitate this and plans to join him and other boys in an escape attempt. However, thanks to the She-Mob, a group of nasty girls who seek to ingratiate themselves with matron, she fails to join the escapees. Following the discovery that three boys have gone, the hospital is subject to an even harsher regime.

REVIEW: The episode takes place immediately after Part One, with Hetty missing her chance to get the letter to Mathias and see Gideon. Gideon himself has lost all hope to leave the hospital as a result. Hetty is then as punishment instructed to wash all the clothes, which in turn inspires a new idea in her to get the letter over to Mathias. Disguised as a boy, Hetty is then reunited with Gideon and then goes to set up an escape plan out of the Foundling Hospital. The escape itself is a crafty and clever plan as Sheila and her ‘She Mob’ uncover the escape plan and alert the Matron as a result. When Gideon gets hurt in the process, Hetty makes the sacrifice to stay behind and help him. Mathias escapes where as Hetty & Gideon manage to return to their beds and not get caught. However, as a result, stricter rules are therefore imposed across the hospital.

I thought this episode was good, very strong and enjoyable throughout, with the sense of suspense with the children planning to escape. I’m intrigued to watch on and learn more about Hetty and the foundling hospital as a result.

RATING: 79% - B+

1x03 - The Tower

INTRO: Rats roaming around the hospital, A mysterious thief lurking in the night, and Hetty eager to celebrate a birthday. So why is this episode pretty weak? Well, it is.

SUMMARY: Hetty tells her friends Harriet and Polly that it will soon be her and Gideon's birthdays as celebrated at the foster parents and, since the sexes are segregated, she must think of a way to meet Gideon for a celebration. When food is stolen from the kitchen, Matron orders a lockdown, but Hetty takes advantage of a rat infestation to get a message to Gideon and later, under the guise of helping the rat-catcher lay traps, she and her friends obtain access through the loft to a tower where they meet Gideon and his friends and establish their own den. Later that night, the food thief is caught. It is Mathias who, having escaped, has returned to the hospital where he is hiding.

REVIEW: Gideon’s borrowed birthday is coming and Hetty is eager to celebrate it, and so begins to devise a plan to celebrate in an old part of the Foundling Hospital. A tower long neglected and perfect for secret meetings and gatherings with the children. It ultimately becomes a secret den throughout the next few series as a result.

A sideplot also focuses on a thief running around the premises, especially stealing food in the kitchen. Hetty is ultimately on guard to catch the thief, and at one point Polly takes the wrap when caught. Despite the odds, Hetty and her friends manage to celebrate the tower even if it means inventing a swing in order to get access. The ending sees the surprising return of Mathias from the previous episode, revealing to be the thief among the foundling hospital. In the last few moments of the episode, you really get the sense that Mathias has really changed in the last episode, being a lot more traumatized and shaken in the process.

This episode is ok, though the acting is slightly weak here, and I’m hopeful for better going forward.

RATING: 55% - B-

1x04 - Jack In the Box

INTRO: A changed Mathias and a sneaky scheme from The Matron make this episode much better than the previous one.

SUMMARY: Matron attempts to coerce a cowed Mathias into being her spy as she sets the orphans to work making toys. The toys are supposedly destined for charities, though Gus discovers that she and tradesman Cooper are planning to sell them to stores for profit and leads the others in sabotaging the goods. They are almost caught, but Mathias rescues them before explaining how he returned to the hospital to avoid being sold as a slave. Matron is angry when she sees the damaged toys but, as the children are falling ill due to lead paint, humane teacher Mr. Cranbourne persuades her to stop her venture, pointing out that the governors would not be happy to know about her deal with a rogue like Cooper.

REVIEW: Mathias is back in the foundling hospital, and also a changed boy. He’s much more timid and slightly traumatised after escaping the home a few episodes ago, making him more withdrawn from his friends. Because of this, The Matron decides to use this to her advantage. She also undercuts a secret deal for the children to make toys and then take the profits for herself. Gideon eventually uncovers the truth and stages a plan to fight back and sabotages the toys. However Mathias is torn, unwilling to get onto Matron’s bad side after what he has gone through. However he eventually choses the right side and Matron is left embarrassed by her attempt to make sneaky money. Mathias also avoids a grisly fate of child slavery thanks to Hetty’s quick thinking. I liked this episode a lot, as it covers quite tough subject matter but in a gentle manner. The actor playing Mathias did a solid job also, covering the fear from what he went through outside the foundling hospital.

RATING: 72% - B+

1x05 - Sisters

INTRO: A new foundling enters the hospital, with a connection to Hetty.

SUMMARY: A new foundling arrives, a little girl called Eliza, who was fostered with the same family as Hetty, though Hetty is disappointed that her borrowed brother Jem seems to have forgotten her. Matron also receives a visitor, her kindly sister Annie, appalled that Matron will not visit their dying mother. When Eliza takes revenge on Matron by shredding her clothes, Hetty takes the blame and is put in solitary but Annie discovers the real culprit and rescues Hetty, explaining that she and her sister were also raised in a workhouse, hence Matron's severe attitude. Thus Hetty has information to use against her enemy and is also cheered to find that Jem has not forgotten her at all.

REVIEW: We get more of a sense of Matron’s backstory, one which reveals that her mother is dying and a sister who is more sympathetic to the children than the Matron is. It’s intriguing to watch unravel, and acts more like a full grown up drama rather than a children’s story. We also see new kids enter the foundling hospital, one which came from the same family Hetty resided in. Because this young girl was made unaware of Hetty, it leads Hetty to feel sad and uncomfortable somewhat around her, believing that the family don’t care for her no more. Hetty then takes her under her wing, even at one point taking the blame for something the young girl does. This results in Hetty spending time in The Tench which is quite intense for Hetty to handle. Regarding Matron’s sister, she opts for a more kind approach to her sister, and has a sincere nice one to one with Hetty regarding the Matron. The episode ends with a reunion with Jem, who reassures Hetty that she hasn’t been forgotten which makes things all right with Hetty by episode’s end.
I enjoyed this episode a lot, with some good character development with The Matron, and with a building sense that this series is growing on me the more and more I watch it going forward.

1x06 - Strike

INTRO: For once, the show enter a conflict where Hetty and The Matron are both tested to their limits.

SUMMARY: At a charity lunch, the foundlings must perform a hymn by composer Mr Melrose, but they are bored by it, so kindly Nurse Winterson teaches them a music hall song, with the result that Matron sacks her. Hetty, aware that the nurse is the sole provider for her invalid father, persuades the children to go on strike and refuse to sing at the lunch, but Matron tries to call her bluff by threatening punishment. Fortunately, the children stage a concert of their own, which so impresses Mr Melrose that he persuades Matron to reinstate Nurse Winterson.

REVIEW: A performance for hospital donors is arranged and Gideon has been selected to sing. However, Nurse Winsteron ends up getting sacked and that leads to a strike from the foundlings. From there, a game of bluffing and cunning wit is thrown back and forth between The Matron and Hetty, with both playing crafty tactics against one another, as well as sneaky alliances being made on both fronts. On the whole, this episode is enjoyable and fun. I really enjoyed the tension sprinkled throughout, as well as the reveal of Gideon’s secret talent of singing. It’s a good filler episode for me.

RATING: 78% - B+

1x07 - Raising The Flag

INTRO: Army sergeants arrive to challenge their potential future soldiers and a sickness spreads throughout the infirmary.

SUMMARY: An army sergeant visits the Foundling Hospital to recruit a drummer boy, the successful candidate being decided on the outcome of a series of tests. In the event, the sergeant picks both Walter Brittle and Mathias Grigg, who both stood up against the bullying Vince Rickard. However, Mathias declines the offer, stating that his fight is within the Hospital. Meanwhile, Hetty Feather and Sheila Ormsby are forced to work together in the infirmary and call a brief truce whilst they help to bring the withdrawn Charlie out of his shell.

REVIEW: An Army Regiment attends the foundling hospital to test the skills of some of the young boys as they prepare for military service. The boys are therefore split into two teams, however Gideon is thrown in on the wrong side, forcing him to have to play dirty to get his team to win. The prize for the winning team is to become a drummer boy on the army. Challenges are then given to the boys in order to test them. An incident occurs when Vince tries to cheat to win, but it reverses onto itself when the army regiment selects the losing side due to displaying strong credentials that the Army negotiates. Mathias is ultimately noticed for his talents and selected, but he declines and does not leave with the Regiment. On the other hand, you have Hetty and Sheila who become temporary nurses due to a fever spreading around the hospital. Of course they argue and feud and Nurse Winterston has to keep the peace, yet she plays it in a fair and kind way. A young boy is brought into the hospital, and Hetty plays with him to cheer him up. However he gets sick and Sheila ultimately has to step in when it gets serious. A real truce is then made between the two, though it is unlikely to last going forward.

I enjoyed this episode very much with a nice story attached as well as good fun character interaction.

RATING: 75% - B+

1x08 - Foundling Reclaimed

INTRO: A cruel joke played on Gideon as well as a set of parents looking to seek out their long lost child.

SUMMARY: Gideon Smeed gets a letter from his mother wanting to see him, and he attempts to escape. However, Hetty Feather proves to him that it was a hoax perpetrated by the unpleasant Sheila Ormsby. Meanwhile, Hannah and Arthur Prestwick come to the Foundling Hospital to reclaim the little girl they left there. Matron claims that no such child was ever admitted, but Hetty comes up with proof, and Mary is reunited with her parents. Hetty's attempt to persuade Lady Asquith that Matron is selling the foundlings as apprentices is less successful. Matron is able to lie her way out of trouble once more.

REVIEW: A couple comes to the foundling hospital in search of their missing child. This coincides with the Matron burning some records, with Hetty setting out to investigate. Gideon is also given a misleading letter in what appears to be her mother, however it is all a cruel joke by Sheila and Gideon is taken for a fool sadly. Regarding the missing child, an unlikely ally in Lady Asquith comes which proves to be the catalyst in the Matron’s plans and allows for Mary Crane to go home with her family. A sweet victory for Hetty. This is a good episode, with very emotional stakes as well as a clever script throughout. You really get a grasp of the corruption and unfairness that really lingers in the hospital. As well as that, a real established feud between Hetty and The Matron is building.

1x09 - Open Day Part 1

INTRO: The two part finale on Series 1 is crucial for Hetty's long search for her mother. But a spanner is thrown in the works by The Matron.

SUMMARY: Visitors arrive for Open Day at the Foundling Hospital. Among them are Cranborne's cousin Lord Upton and his young daughter Charlotte, who are due for an immediate diplomatic posting to India. This gives Bottomley the idea of getting rid of Hetty by sending her with them as Charlotte's companion. Hetty recalls a visit to the circus and believes performer Madame Adeline to be her mother. When a raffle is announced with circus tickets being given the highest bidder, Gus and Mathias try to win them for Hetty. The raffle is declared invalid after Sheila and Vince are found to have cheated. Charlotte takes pity on Hetty and helps her escape from the hospital.

REVIEW: An Open Day is established to raise money for the hospital. A woman named Charlotte Upton arrives at the hospital and strikes a bond with Hetty. However, the Matron has a cruel and sneaky plan to send Hetty to India as a result of this bond. A subplot with Hetty is also established where she believes to have met the woman who might be her mother. As a result, Hetty sneaks out of the hospital and goes on an adventure to seek her out, finding her at a circus of all places. Another subplot also floats around the episode as the children battle it out to obtain circus tickets. Therefore, sneaky methods are used to obtain money. All of this culminates at an auction, before The Matron ruins the fun altogether. However, Matron purchasing the tickets and finding out about Hetty’s intentions connects well into the main plot. I thought this was a good episode. A really fun and exciting pace attached, with a strong cliffhanger ending attached.

RATING: 86% - A-

1x10 - Open Day Part 2

INTRO: The finale of the first series of Hetty Feather where her future hangs in the balance, and only crucial evidence can save her.

SUMMARY: Hetty arrives at the circus, but Madame Adeline assures her that she is not her mother. Bottomley follows and arrives to drag her back to the hospital. Hetty's friends are aware that Bottomley has illegally sold Hetty to Lord Upton, lying about her age and receiving private monies. They find incriminating evidence, which they can show to the honest teacher Mr Cranborne and expose Matron Bottomley's plan before Lord Upton arrives to take Hetty to India. At the same time, Hetty discovers a token which may lead her to find her birth mother.

REVIEW: Continuing from the previous episode, Hetty arrives at the circus where supposedly her mother is based which she believes is Madame Adelaine. However a conversation between the two occurs and its revealed that she is not her mother. It is there then that the matron arrives to take Hetty back to the house. As well as that, Matron also steps up and sets a lan in motion to send Hetty away to India. It is down to the rest of her friends to save her, setting out to find crucial evidence to stop The Matron’s plans full stop. Stolen money and a torn up file is found and the evidence then given to Cranbourne. It’s enough to save Hetty from India. She also comes across a token which may play into future stories regarding Hetty’s heritage. This was a good episode, and a nice finale to Series one. I’m mostly enjoying this series quite a lot, despite being a children’s show, and am eager to continue watching further.

RATING: 84% - A-

SERIES RATING - 77% - B+