Prediction: Mulan will be the new Rey

Tools    

Far from a remake of the 1998 film, I predict the new Mulan film will imitate The Last Jedi and Beauty and the Beast (2017) in setting up Mulan's character.

In the 1998 film, Mulan enters the army and struggles to adapt to military life. She becomes a skilled warrior only after intense training, making mistakes but learning along the way.

2020's Mulan, by contrast, will be like Rey. She will grow up a martial arts prodigy, regularly mopping the floor with the neighborhood boys despite her parents' protests. When joining the army, she will excel in her military training, regularly proving her skills and inspiring her comrades. While still respectful of Shang, she will prove to be a loose cannon soldier, contradicting him in front of the troops. Shang will come to realize Mulan's worth in combat.

In the 1998 film, Mulan earnestly struggles to embody the feminine qualities society expects of her. However, she does not question that culture until her father's life is at risk. And her decision to join the army is spur of the moment rather than actively desired.

2020's Mulan, by contrast, will eagerly offer to fight the Huns at the beginning of the film. Her family and community will scoff at the idea of a woman fighting in the army. Mulan will insist to her father that she can fight, but her father will refuse. When Mulan does join the army, she will do so not just to save her father's life, but also to demonstrate to her community that women are capable fighters as well. This will ring similar to Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Whereas 1991's Belle was merely considered odd for reading, 2017's Belle takes it a step further by designing inventions and encouraging her town's girls to take up science despite male objections.

I won't say how I think these predictions, if true, would affect the movie. But just my two cents. Thoughts?

I am woman, hear me roar. God, I am tired of this revisionist crap.

thanks for having these kind of conversation

who cares

Di je Karlo?
Another prediction: they will make the Hun leader a pathetic loser, like Kylo Ren or the villain from nu-Ghostbusters. That's another thing that irks me about this "woke hollywood". I remember when screen villains were supposed to be intimidating.

The trick is not minding
A lot of you guys are getting angry at something that is merely a prediction and not proven since no one has watched it yet.
Seems like some are just looking for an excuse to howl about how women characters are being written lately.

Welcome to the human race...
Unfortunately, as much as I would like to do my usual eye-rolling at the kind of chucklehead who complain about films being too woke and/or feminist these days, even I have to concede that there is an established precedent in this recent spate of Disney remakes (not counting Rey as an example, though). Even a left-leaning Disney fan like Lindsay Ellis recognises the ways in which the new versions end up overcompensating for the problematic elements of the old ones (or at least adding redundant levels of detail).

The trick is not minding
So it seems some of the arguments stem from the fact that women are being written as stronger and more independent.
We have someone who seemed to be bothered by Belle in the last Beauty and the Beast adaptation Being an inventor and encouraging girls to take up science as well.
Kylo was apparently perceived as a loser type? Or just maybe he was so conflicted by his emotions and the pull between the light and dark side and his respective family legacies that he seemed overly emotional.
The villain from the ghostbusters reboot was a loner who I concede was viewed as a loser type, which was the point. He was considered an outcast and sought revenge Through dark power. Sound familiar? It’s been done before.
I’m not defending the movies, but let’s not overreact to a few simple revisions of how women are now perceived.

Why does Mulan have to "struggle with her feminine qualities?" Can't she be just as good of a character if she's more inherently fierce? I don't see how woke culture is the worst possible thing in Hollywood...

Doubt anyone will watch it tbh... Disney has decided they're going to make the movie accessible to only Disney+ subscribers... and... the subscribers, who have already paid their subscription must also pay another Ł20 to watch the movie.

As far as I know, nobody is doing it.

Why does Mulan have to "struggle with her feminine qualities?" Can't she be just as good of a character if she's more inherently fierce? I don't see how woke culture is the worst possible thing in Hollywood...
I am trying to wrap my head around the idea of being mad about a children's film that hasn't actually come out yet, on the basis of historical inaccuracies even though it's a fictional character from a Chinese ballad.

Also, in the original ballad, "Her father is old and weak, and her younger brother is just a child, so she decides to take his place and bids farewell to her parents, who support her. She is already skilled in fighting, having been taught martial arts, sword fighting, and archery by the time she enlists in the army." So Mulan already being good at fighting would be more accurate to the original story.

I don't see the conflict in the original film as being "should I be masculine or feminine?". The conflict is that she has to hide certain aspects of herself because she is in disguise. Mulan didn't fit in with all of the "nice pretty" girls in her village because she was awkward. In fact, part of the point of the film seemed to be that military training made her more graceful and capable. Her greatest strengths are ultimately her intelligence and strategy, neither of which are gendered traits.

And this shouldn't be taken as a defense of the new Mulan. I'm not a fan of the whole "live action remake" thing of the last few years and I haven't watched any of them. Mulan might be hot garbage, and at the cost of $30, I'll probably never know. But the hand-wringing over "what if the lady is too strong" seems a bit silly to me. Stories need a good conflict. If they've taken away the plot point of her being awkward and clumsy, then they'll have needed to replace it with another conflict. If they haven't, that's a storytelling problem, not a "feminism" problem. The conflict of her being attracted to her captain but not being able to act because she can't reveal her identity still works if she's a very capable soldier. Or the conflict could be that she's lived a sheltered life and is having to confront the realities and dangers of combat. Again, that's something that works no matter her skill level.

You ready? You look ready.
Doesn't look like Mulan is fairing well for Disney.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/12/b...an-china.html?

I'd say that's what you get when you sell your soul, but I don't think Disney has ever had a soul to sell.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I dunno... I think a lot of company's had souls or whatever before everything went corporate.