I'm unable to find Italian films that suit me

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
I have the same problem with Spanish ones. I try to find lists on the internet but they consist almost entirely of films I never watch: neo-realist, world war 2, horror, and those pathetic edge-fests from the 60's (you know what I'm talking about). I can see that Fellini's films are objectively good but they never clicked with me for some reason. The only ones that sort of did were Allegro non Troppo and a handful of spaghetti westerns.

The one thing I'm always looking for in a film is that it deals with universal themes, e.g. Liberty Valance and virtue, The Return and miscommunication with God, H-8 and the unfairness of death, etc. Other than that, it can be as light or dark, as high-brow or low-brow as it wants.

I would suggest:

Mafioso--Dark comedy/thriller about a man who finds himself indebted to the mafia and not entirely understanding just what that will entail.

The Children Are Watching Us--okay, it's neo-realism. But it's also a great look at how people can be so self-centered that they do not think about the implications of their actions

The Third Eye--an over-the-top, but enjoyable knock off of Psycho

Bread and Tulips--a light romantic comedy about a woman whose family leaves her behind at a rest stop during a vacation. She ends up making new friends and re-evaluating her life.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I also recommend "The Children are Watching Us", or almost anything by De Sica (I'd skip the mid-latter 60s).. If you want the best love story, check out "Sunflower"

If you want a fun movie, with great dialogue, etc., "Il Sorpasso"..

If you want something excellent and realistically diabolical, try "Fist in Pocket" by Bellocchio.

"Rocco and His Brothers" is long, but it goes by fast. Not really "neo-realism"... "Bellissima" is also great, because it fits today (young girls being used to make money in movies/entertainment). "Accatone" and "Mamma Roma" are Pasolini's first (and best, I think).

"A Special Day" is a tender piece, also starring Loren and Mastroianni..... The best movie I saw this year was "La Terrazza" also starring Mastroianni, and is a wonderful satire on the 1980s, how those who know better might sacrifice their principles in order to fit in with the leading women, who are always young, but the power behind the camera keep getting older.

I must say, you're avoiding MANY great Italian movies over neo-realism. "La Notte Bianche" is a nice movie based on the Chekov play (I think).

There's also the thriller I'm Not Scared, the surreal Western Django Kill . . . If you live, shoot!, A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (more thriller than horror, IMO), Teorema, and Erik the Conqueror (are we wanting Italian language, or just made in Italy?).

I think on Netflix there a many Spanish films, no? Not sure about Italian ones though.

... those pathetic edge-fests from the 60's (you know what I'm talking about).
Nope, I really don’t.

Di je Karlo?
Nope, I really don’t.
I'm talking about pissy self-proclaimed art films whose only "artistic intention" is to attack the values of its culture, not out of genuine dislike (a la The Seventh Seal), but to appear cool and edgy (a la the serbian black wave)

Di je Karlo?
Who knew there was such a thing.
Yeah, there really is. I assembled a top 10 yugoslavian films list a few months ago, and you have no idea what kind of garbage I had to wade through in order to find 10 good ones.