A Song For January

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
I haven't listened to much from her, but from I've heard I don't think I would classify her as country. I get much more heartland rock n' roll vibes, like a female Tom Petty or John Mellencamp. Although this particular song, "Call Me Sometime," first reminded me of the 90's hit song "Bitch," (admittedly a guilty pleasure) but I think that's due more to the lyrical approach/attitude than anything else. Warren certainly has a country inflection to her voice, however. I'll be curious to see where she falls on the spectrum for @honeykid, since he dislikes country but appreciates ladies who rock.

BTW, I hope you listen to more of The Piedmont Boys, my previous nomination. I saw them get a shout-out on a list of best country albums from 2020. The first song I listened to from them name-dropped several towns within short driving distance of where I'm from, which shocked me since they're fairly dead towns. I knew then that they must have local ties, and I was right. Been listening to their newest album, Almost Home, nearly non-step for the past week or so. Highly recommended.
I cast a wide net for what I consider country, I'm not too much of a genre stickler. If I hear a few country sounds and they sound good, I'll bring you into the fold.

I downloaded one of The Piedmont Boys albums on Apple Music, I'm hoping to get to it next time I'm at the gym.

I downloaded one of The Piedmont Boys albums on Apple Music, I'm hoping to get to it next time I'm at the gym.
So never?

A system of cells interlinked

Bob Dylan: I'm not listening to these songs in top down order this round, for some reason. I decided to listen to my song second. I can see some of y'all hating this song, because of the way Bobby sings in it. I love it though, this song and Romance in Durango really have a cool ass western taking place in Mexico vibe.
I will never have a favorite Dylan song, but this one came across to me as perhaps some of the best vocals he had done. If I could just get past the timbre of his voice, I would like this a lot more. That said, this is probably the best of the stuff I have heard. Great lyrics etc.

Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me
Mister Mister - Kyrie
Bob Seger & Martina McBride - Chances Are
Fur Patrol - Lydia
Somali Yacht Club - The Sun
Becky Warren - Call Me Sometime
thee michelle gun elephant - black tambourine
Howard Jones - New Song
Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode
Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee

*coin toss between the last two. First is the kind of rap I don't like and there's no artist in the world that bored me the way Dylan does sorry to whoever nominate him*

Round 10

1. Somali Yacht Club - The Sun
Discovered this Ukrainian band earlier this week. Liked them so much I had to throw them in here.

2. Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode
Wow wtf is going on with this track? I'm conflicted...one or two vocal lines I'm not a fan of but I like the turns it takes, it is so that's a minor issue. It helped that I listened to this on headphones with great bass response. I'm listening to all the entries this way.

3. Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee
Amazingly enough, I liked this a lot. I normally don't like his voice, but his was cool. Lovely instrumentation.

4. Becky Warren - Call Me Sometime

5. Mister Mister - Kyrie

6. Fur Patrol - Lydia

7. thee michelle gun elephant - black tambourine

8. Howard Jones - New Song

10. Bob Seger & Martina McBride - Chances Are

11. Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me

2. Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode
Wow wtf is going on with this track? I'm conflicted...one or two vocal lines I'm not a fan of but I like the turns it takes, it is so that's a minor issue. It helped that I listened to this on headphones with great bass response. I'm listening to all the entries this way.
Wow, finally someone gets it. It's like three songs fused in one. Elements transgressing one part to another. Impressive rap composition, IMO.

Wow, finally someone gets it. It's like three songs fused in one. Elements transgressing one part to another. Impressive rap composition, IMO.

I like stuff that takes unexpected turns.

I went to the gym tonight and listened to All on Red. Listening to an album while on the elliptical is not the fairest way to judge an album, so I could be underrating this album a little bit. But I'd say its somewhere between a
and
with room to grow. I'll try to get to the 2020 album when I'm not distracted by anything else.

maybe

Im still like in the middle of nowhere right now, wont be around for next round
Appreciate the heads-up reso, best wishes for finding your way back to civilisation

Round 11 nom:
Steel Blossoms - County Line

I went to the gym tonight and listened to All on Red. Listening to an album while on the elliptical is not the fairest way to judge an album, so I could be underrating this album a little bit. But I'd say its somewhere between a
and
with room to grow. I'll try to get to the 2020 album when I'm not distracted by anything else.
I've only listened to Almost Home. Can't attest to the quality of any of their earlier albums.

I've only listened to Almost Home. Can't attest to the quality of any of their earlier albums.
I liked Bettin' on Being Alright and White Line Mercy. Listening to a couple of these songs back make me think I underrated the album. Hell Danielle is good too.

Sadly no votes from hk and reso currently out of action but we have to move on....

1st - Somali Yacht Club - The Sun (56 pts)

2nd - Bob Dylan - One More Cup of Coffee (54 pts)
2nd - Becky Warren - Call Me Sometime (54 pts)
4th - Fur Patrol - Lydia (49 pts)
5th - Mister Mister - Kyrie (47 pts)
6th - Savage Garden - Break Me Shake Me (38 pts)
7th - thee michelle gun elephant - black tambourine (37 pts)
8th - Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode (36 pts)
8th - Howard Jones - New Song (36 pts)
8th - Bob Seger & Martina McBride - Chances Are (36 pts)

Grats to cat on getting a second tune through to the Final

Round eleven up shortly...

We lose Sedai, resopamenic and honeykid this round, all more than welcome to rejoin whenever suits as per ever....

Blackpink - Ddu Du Ddu Du

Nürnberg - Los

Courtney Marie Andrews - Table for One

Lee Roy Parnell - The Rock

Parkway Drive - Vice Grip

Christian Kjellvander & Tonbruket - Loneliest Woman in the World

Steel Blossoms - County Line

Please rank from 1 (your favourite) to 7 (your least favourite).
This round will stay open for voting until 9am GMT on 25th January.

Nominations for Round 12 are now open

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
we have to move on....

1st - Somali Yacht Club - The Sun (56 pts)

Grats to cat on getting a second tune through to the Final

Congratulations @cat_sidhe!

1. Blackpink - Ddu Du Ddu Du
2. Courtney Marie Andrews - Table for One
3. Steel Blossoms - County Line
4. Christian Kjellvander & Tonbruket - Loneliest Woman in the World
5. Lee Roy Parnell - The Rock
6. Nürnberg - Los
7. Parkway Drive - Vice Grip

My Nomination for Round 12:
Axwell & Ingrosso - More Than You Know