A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Hey @SpelingError, do you still have the Youtube link to that CGI short film where a man goes to Hell (or at least, some form of it) that you posted on the Corrie? I have a friend who's looking for short films, and I wanted to share it.

Hey @SpelingError, do you still have the Youtube link to that CGI short film where a man goes to Hell (or at least, some form of it) that you posted on the Corrie? I have a friend who's looking for short films, and I wanted to share it.

Yep, here it is.

In fact, you've inspired me to rewatch it!

Oh, Nightmares in a Damaged Brain is essential filth. And, as Rock says, Maniac and Don't Go into the House are good touchstones for understanding the vibe it is going for. It's not a nice movie, but not every movie should be.
Note to self: always check beforehand if the old nasties are uncut in Tubi. In other words, I watched Don't Go in the House today and wondered how this could have been a video nasty. Afterward, I found out that the uncut version is apparently almost four minutes longer

The film itself was OK, but again, Maniac does very much the same story far better. I guess I need to watch the uncut version at some point.

Note to self: always check beforehand if the old nasties are uncut in Tubi. In other words, I watched Don't Go in the House today and wondered how this could have been a video nasty. Afterward, I found out that the uncut version is apparently almost four minutes longer

The film itself was OK, but again, Maniac does very much the same story far better. I guess I need to watch the uncut version at some point.

I think Maniac is kind of the high water mark for these kinds of films. It's both traditionally well made while being legitimately disturbing (and even a little sad, if we are willing to extend our sympathies to the abhorrent).

Last House on Dead End Street would be the other champion, if these are the cinematic stakes that we are talking about. I wouldn't generally recommend that to anyone but the adventurous though since it has some extremely tight production values (I think the budget was something like 8000 dollars, which the directors supposedly mostly spent on meth). It also has no sympathy towards anyone or anything, so is extremely unlikeable on that front to. But I think beneath the cheap veneer and its nihilistic message, there is a lot of talent on display by the director, if you can muscle through it to the end. Also prone to cause headaches and irritation in equal measure though.

Don't Go In the House probably needs its cut scenes to be as truly effective, but I think enough of it would remain for you to get the idea of whether or not it was for you. Like Maniac, its success is mostly dependant on how much you like low life loser character studies

Victim of The Night

I had this happen to me, fortunately I was about half an hour in when I realized it and I found an uncut version and switched. Those four minutes matter as the intensity of the "nastiness" really does amp up the film and make it a better movie.

I think Maniac is kind of the high water mark for these kinds of films. It's both traditionally well made while being legitimately disturbing (and even a little sad, if we are willing to extend our sympathies to the abhorrent).

Last House on Dead End Street would be the other champion, if these are the cinematic stakes that we are talking about. I wouldn't generally recommend that to anyone but the adventurous though since it has some extremely right production values (I think the budget was something like 8000 dollars, which the directors supposedly mostly spent on meth). It also has no sympathy towards anyone or anything, so is extremely unlikeable on that front to. But I think beneath the cheap veneer and it's nihilistic message, there is a lot of talent on display by the director, if you can muscle through it to the end. Also prone to cause headaches and irritation in equal measure though.

Don't Go In the House probably needs its cut scenes to be as truly effective, but I think enough of it would remain for you to get the idea of whether or not it was for you. Like Maniac, its success is mostly dependant on how much you like low life loser character studies
As a low life loser, it's nice to see myself represented on screen.*

I should have amended *with flamethrower* to the description.
As a low life loser with a flamethrower, it's nice to see myself represented.

As a low life loser with a flamethrower, it's nice to see myself represented.
I dispute this. Lowlives succumb to MKS and give him their points in screenshot guessing games.

I dispute this. Lowlives succumb to MKS and give him their points in screenshot guessing games.
*readies flamethrower *

Seems we have quite a way to go in terms of onscreen representation.

Shudder subscribers are encouraged to check out The Pit (1981) .

Jamie is a pervy 12-year-old who has no friends except for Teddy, his stuffed bear that speaks to him. Out in the woods, Jamie has found a group of troglodytes (or trollogs) living in a hole in the ground. (This is a bit reminiscent of Brenda, one of my favorite Night Gallery segments.) Eventually Jamie figures out a way to keep his hairy friends fed, while also eliminating the "nasty people" in his life.
The director's one and only film, this is a weird one. A disturbed kid who murders at the behest of his talking teddy bear is premise enough for a movie, but this one throws in a pit full of mini-squatches for good measure. Add some Wisconsin accents and inexplicably cheery musical cues appearing at the least appropriate moments and you've got yourself a singular viewing experience.

Shudder subscribers are encouraged to check out The Pit (1981) .

Jamie is a pervy 12-year-old who has no friends except for Teddy, his stuffed bear that speaks to him. Out in the woods, Jamie has found a group of troglodytes (or trollogs) living in a hole in the ground. (This is a bit reminiscent of Brenda, one of my favorite Night Gallery segments.) Eventually Jamie figures out a way to keep his hairy friends fed, while also eliminating the "nasty people" in his life.
The director's one and only film, this is a weird one. A disturbed kid who murders at the behest of his talking teddy bear is premise enough for a movie, but this one throws in a pit full of mini-squatches for good measure. Add some Wisconsin accents and inexplicably cheery musical cues appearing at the least appropriate moments and you've got yourself a singular viewing experience.

I remember seeing this as a kid, but that's about the extent of my memory. The idea seems a lot more interesting now, so maybe I'll give this a go at some point. That tagline in the poster is pretty awesome

I need someone else to watch the Dark and the Wicked and tell me if it wasn’t nearly as good as its critical reception or if I simply wasn’t in the mood for it.

It reminded me a lot of the recent Grudge remake only... Not as good? I’m one of the few who liked that film and think it only got a bad reputation due to franchise expectations.

I remember seeing this as a kid, but that's about the extent of my memory. The idea seems a lot more interesting now, so maybe I'll give this a go at some point. That tagline in the poster is pretty awesome
I thought it was fun. There's a lot I'd like to say but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. It's an easy recommendation for those of us who are predisposed to this type of thing.

I need someone else to watch the Dark and the Wicked and tell me if it wasn’t nearly as good as its critical reception or if I simply wasn’t in the mood for it.

It reminded me a lot of the recent Grudge remake only... Not as good? I’m one of the few who liked that film and think it only got a bad reputation due to franchise expectations.
This is not how you create another Final Exam.*