Movie Trailers vs. Movie Reviews

Tools    

I used to read movie reviews prior to watching a movie. Spoilers notwithstanding, I wanted to get enough information to merit my time in the selection process. I soon came to realize that movie reviews were very subjective and leant themselves to artistic and individual expression rather than an objective presentation of a movie.
Although movie producers try to sell their movie through a trailer, one can get their own subjective feel just from watching a trailer. Glimpses of cinematography, story line and even acting are more clearly evident. It's like comparing movies to books. One is visual and the other is interpretative. I still read reviews of movie critics whose writing style I like but I mostly rely on a trailer to give me an idea whether or not to watch a movie. How about you?

Neither, I prefer to fly as blind as possible within reason so a very brief synopsis and an idea of who's involved accompanied sometimes by knowledge that someone with similar taste to mine enjoyed something is plenty enough info on a potential watch for me. I gave up on trailers years ago as the art of being able to tantalise without either divulging far too much or simply cherry-picking most (if not all) the 'best bits' as a montage appeared to be on the slide. I've never been one to read reviews of a film I've not yet seen.

Neither, I prefer to fly as blind as possible within reason so a very brief synopsis and an idea of who's involved accompanied sometimes by knowledge that someone with similar taste to mine enjoyed something is plenty enough info on a potential watch for me. I gave up on trailers years ago as the art of being able to tantalise without either divulging far too much or simply cherry-picking most (if not all) the 'best bits' as a montage appeared to be on the slide. I've never been one to read reviews of a film I've not yet seen.
Some blind dates were fun but most of them could have been nightmares had they progressed. As far as tastes go, you never really know unless of course you do. I cringe at trying to remember not eating at restaurants that my friends highly recommended.

Some blind dates were fun but most of them could have been nightmares had they progressed. As far as tastes go, you never really know unless of course you do. I cringe at trying to remember not eating at restaurants that my friends highly recommended.
Perhaps you needed to only listen to the more closely attuned friends

I used to read movie reviews prior to watching a movie. Spoilers notwithstanding, I wanted to get enough information to merit my time in the selection process. I soon came to realize that movie reviews were very subjective and leant themselves to artistic and individual expression rather than an objective presentation of a movie.
Although movie producers try to sell their movie through a trailer, one can get their own subjective feel just from watching a trailer. Glimpses of cinematography, story line and even acting are more clearly evident. It's like comparing movies to books. One is visual and the other is interpretative. I still read reviews of movie critics whose writing style I like but I mostly rely on a trailer to give me an idea whether or not to watch a movie. How about you?
I really don't care either way. I think that's actually maybe even best to go and see it without anything previous, so I agree with Chypmunk. If I had to decide between the two, I'd probably go for trailers, so I agree with you. That may be because I'm more of an audiovisual type than a literary one. I in fact dunno if I read a single review in my life. I think I have...but only a few of them. Since a review is written by a human being, it has got to be subjective.

Perhaps you needed to only listen to the more closely attuned friends
Interesting: " More closely attuned friends ". Yes, I agree, " friend " has become such a general noun but even the best of friends don't necessarily have the same taste, so I don't get what all the tuning is about.

It really depends. Sometimes I'm going to go see a movie because it has actors I like or is part of a series I like, or just really looks and sounds like my cup of tea, and so reviews are irrelevant as I'm going to go see it regardless. Likewise a movie can have 5 stars all round but if it doesn't look or sound like my thing I don't care. Reviews are really only useful when it's something I'm on the fence about - like, say, Annabelle Creation. I like the Conjuring movies but I didn't bother with the other Annabelle as it looked crap and got terrible reviews; this one is getting much more positve notices so I will probably go see it.

Interesting: " More closely attuned friends ". Yes, I agree, " friend " has become such a general noun but even the best of friends don't necessarily have the same taste, so I don't get what all the tuning is about.
Ok, I thought you were actually soliciting opinion from others hence the "How about you?" on the opening post but apparently you just want to play word games so I'll leave you to it.

My problem with most trailers lately is that I feel like I don't even need to see the film any more, since the trailer has basically shown me the entire movie. For things I am legitimately interesting in seeing, I will avoid trailers and previews as much as possible. I do like a well-made short trailer that teases what the film is about, but unfortunately they have become quite rare.

Ok, I thought you were actually soliciting opinion from others hence the "How about you?" on the opening post but apparently you just want to play word games so I'll leave you to it.
Sure, I asked for an opinion from others for the topic Movie Trailers vs. Movie Reviews. Word games? And all this coming from a guy that uses phrases such as " more closely attuned friends " . I did not join to get into pissing contests and I don't post just to troll. If you don't like my posts, just ignore them and leave me to it. Thank you.

Sure, I asked for an opinion from others for the topic Movie Trailers vs. Movie Reviews. Word games? And all this coming from a guy that uses phrases such as " more closely attuned friends " . I did not join to get into pissing contests and I don't post just to troll. If you don't like my posts, just ignore them and leave me to it. Thank you.
No "pissing contests" from me, not interested in that sort of crap at all - had you not responded in the way you did to my original response I'd have not posted again in the thread and even then I'd have expected the 'winky emoticon' at the end to have given away it was a lighthearted response. Clearly I was wrong

No "pissing contests" from me, not interested in that sort of crap at all - had you not responded in the way you did to my original response I'd have not posted again in the thread and even then I'd have expected the 'winky emoticon' at the end to have given away it was a lighthearted response. Clearly I was wrong
No big thing. We are all here to communicate. Some times the wires cross. Even if there is some misunderstanding, the benefit of learning outweighs it. I appreciate your clarification. Communication is either the essence of great achievement or the prelude to an escalating problem. We are more than likely headed in the right path. Understanding is crucial and never has to be like minded. I often look into the bigger picture in a quest for meaning but communicating with others is often sufficient to nourish that instant gratification want in me. The other side is physicality and that I explore through other methods and is not so reliant on others.