jiraffejustin's 500+ favorite films

→ in
Tools    

26. Halloween (1978; John Carpenter)

In competition with Suspiria for the best horror score of all-time. In competition with nothing as the best slasher of all-time. In the conversation for most important horror film of all-time.

Yes, it's the best slasher film ever!

27. In a Lonely Place (1950; Nicholas Ray)

A very different film noir that doesn't use the femme fatales or gangsters. There is the gorgeous deep-focus shadows of film noir and hardboiled dialogue at times. But the love is passionate in this film, and jumps off the screen at you. That makes some of the scenes of Laurel's doubts and fears even more intense and scenes of Dixon Steele's anger more frightening.

28. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979; Werner Herzog)

The most beautiful vampire movie ever made.

29. Modern Romance (1981; Albert Brooks)

A very witty comedy that doesn't go over the top for big laughs, but plays it lowkey for those who appreciate a slightly more subtle brand of comedy. It's a smart take on how most men are really terrible at having any understanding of women.

32. Psycho (1960; Alfred Hitchcock)

You've already seen this movie, so you already know.
This is easily your best post. I deleted what I haven't seen yet.

39. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977; George Lucas)
40. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1981; Irvin Kershner)
41. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1986; Richard Marquand)

This series doesn't really need to be talked about. Everybody knows these films.

42. The Thing (1982; John Carpenter)

Isn't it cute!?!

As mentioned in Camo's thread, here it is. Paranoia at its finest. Anybody ever notice how Nicholas Cage's character in Adaptation looks like the screenshot above?
Another great set, and as far as I'm concerned, The Thing is the best sci-fi film ever.

I'll add in here that I also love The Mummy, and The Night Stalker. I love the movies, and the TV series. I have it all on DVD.

I've only seen Claire's Knee from the last set and I quite liked it.

I've been trying to get my hands on Torso for a while now, no luck yet.

Let the night air cool you off
65. House on the Edge of the Park (1980; Ruggero Deodato)

Not an easy film to watch, but considering the director, you probably already knew that.

66. Opening Night (1977; John Cassavetes)

Gena Rowlands always gave great performances in her husband's films. Her husband was a hell of a director.

67. Confessions (2010; Tetsuya Nakashima)

Admittedly this film can be a little convoluted and unrealistic, but if you allow yourself to live in the movie's universe, where this is all possible, then you will find yourself admiring the twists and turns. And it looks pretty good; at times it feels spacey and kinda trippy too.

68. The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972; John Huston)

An underrated and humorous western from the revisionist phase of westerns.

69. Trailer Park Boys (1999; Mike Clattenburg)
70. Trailer Park Boys: The Movie (2006; Mike Clattenburg)

Hilarious. Watch the tv series too.

71. The Man in the Back Seat (1961; Vernon Sewell)

I saw this on Youtube a long time ago, and it was a huge surprise. It's a B-noir that deserves all the praise, acclaim, and popularity of the upper echelon of the genre.

72. The Man Who Laughs (1928; Paul Leni)

The clear inspiration for a character that everybody knows, but it deserves to be known for more than just that. It should be known for being an expressionist gem.

73. Mon Oncle (1958; Jacques Tati)

Wonderfully organized comedy that fits into a world so meticulously crafted that you can't decide what you are more impressed by.

74. Broken Arrow (1950; Delmer Daves)

If you can get past white people playing Indians in a movie about white folks and Indians being chill with each other, then you can get behind this movie. Also it's pretty to look at, and Debra Paget is gorgeous, semi-racist make-up or not.

75. Martin (1978; George Romero)

Romero's take on vampires, or a guy who thinks he is a vampire. It's the only movie like that that I can think of. It's quite interesting and gritty.

76. Europa Europa (1990; Agnieszka Holland)

Like most good WWII movies, it makes you feel really bad more than once.

77. Elmer Gantry (1960; Richard Brooks)

markf gives this movie five popcorns.

78. Tekkonkinkreet (2006; Michael Arias)

The animation, specifically the marvelous city background, is quite stunning. The scenes of the bird flying through the city are breathtaking.

I want your jiraffe, and your taste in movies.

House on the Edge of the Park seems too good to be real.

Seen none and haven't even heard of some of them. Loved Playtime so i want to see more Tati. Not a fan of Trailer Park Boys from what i've seen of the show, that was only the first four episodes or something though.

I thought you had a pet jiraffe, one that doesn't know how to spell? I WANT IT!

I must say I didn't like Mon Oncle or Opening Night. I do love Elmer Gantry and I enjoyed Broken Arrow.

To the top of my watchlist goes House on the Edge of the Park!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I thought you recently watched House on the Edge of the Park?
It was me who recently watched it. What a great movie.

Also, I demand you to rate all these films on RYM!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You sir, have an excellent taste in cinema.

It makes me want to put on The Phantom Carriage. Anyway excellent movies all around and i must applaud the undertaking of doing write-ups for 500 films

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972; John Huston

The Man Who Laughs (1928; Paul Leni)

Mon Oncle (1958; Jacques Tati)

Broken Arrow (1950; Delmer Daves)

Elmer Gantry (1960; Richard Brooks)
I loved them all. Broken Arrow maybe less than the others, but still a great western.