Movies About Rock or Pop Music

Tools    

This could include movies or documentaries about Rock Music such as the Decline of Western Civilization series on Punk and Heavy Metal, or Movies that have Rock music as their theme such as Almost Famous, Still Crazy, or Spinal Tap, or Performances such as Rock operas like Tommy, Quadraphenia, Jesus Christ Superstar. Even something like Sid and Nancy.

I'm going to list 10 that I like in no particular order to get the discussion moving.

1) Still Crazy
2) Almost Famous
3) Hard Days Night
4) The Beatles Anthology
5) Quadraphenia
6) The McCartney Years (three different concert films that span a large part of Mcartney's solo career)
7) The Wall (Pink Floyd) The David Parker Movie
8) The Rutles
9) Gimme Shelter
10) Sid and Nancy

This is just to get the ball rolling. This topic would benefit from a lot of discussion.

For those who like Rock / Musician bio-pics and comedy - there's Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.
The ultimate spoof on music bio-pics because if you have a favorite from the genre, then you'll probably spot part of it somewhere in Walk Hard.

Loved the Beatles scene, btw, but whoever chose Jack Black to play Paul McCartney is either insane or some kind of genius.
(Although, I personally didn't care for the full frontal nudity.)

The Rutles

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
24 Hour Party People (2002)

A lot of different styles of music from punk to rave covered in this film about Factory records and the Manchester music scene. It's also very funny.

Frank (2014)

Another funny film which basically takes swipes at everything from Captain Beefheart to SXSW, as a young music fan joins an established band fronted by a mysterious man in a papier mache head who effectively imprisons the band in a hut in Ireland while they record an album.

It is fun to watch a bunch of serious actors act like a bunch of middle aged rockers who are absolutely nuts.
Stephen Rea- Michael Collins, Crying Game
Bill Nighy- State of Play, Blow Dry, The Girl in the Cafe
Timothy Spall- Secrets and Lies, Hamlet,
Jimmy Nail- Evita,
Billy Conolly- Mrs. Brown,

Don't Look Back, 1967 documentary about Dylan's tour of the UK .
No Direction Home, Scorsese 2005 docu about Dylan.
Woodstock , Docu covering the famous festival in 1969
Camo has mentioned The Last Waltz, excellent film.