Another new member!

Tools    

Hey guys, I'm Jack. I came upon this site when looking for a movie forum where I could discuss film in depth and this seems like the perfect site! Apart from a select few, most of my friends are into the most mainstream crap, and even the ones that venture out aren't exactly cinephiles (hopefully that doesn't sound pretentious haha).

Anyway, I finished high school/6th form a few months ago and I'm currently on a gap year. Hoping to move down to London (currently reside in Leeds) for University, and pursue a career in film!

My favourites include (no order):
Chinatown, The Godfather, Goodfellas, Boogie Nights, Fight Club, Taxi Driver, Boyhood, Shame, Magnolia, Animal Kingdom, 25th Hour, Amores Perros, On the Waterfront, Dog Day Afternoon, Seven Samurai... I could go on forever.

Anyway I meant to keep this short which hasn't happened! Looking forward to meeting you all!

P.S. Dumb question but how do I start adding my favourite movies + checking them?

Welcome to Movie Forums, Jack. Sounds like you'll fit in great around here.

Re: favorite movies. In the header, User CP -> Edit Favorite Movies. To check off movies you've seen, take a look at the Lists area.

Welcome Jack.

We have at least one member from Leeds. Despite that, she's a good person.

I see Yoda's already helped you out with the profile and lists.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
> complains about people watching mainstream
> has mainstream in favourites
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Master of My Domain
> complains about people watching mainstream
> has mainstream in favourites
His standard of 'mainstream' is different from ours. I think he means movies such as a The Avengers.

His standard of 'mainstream' is different from ours. I think he means movies such as a The Avengers.
Those are mainstream...

Lists like mine and Minios are not mainstream.... both art and foreign.

Welcome! love your taste in movies!
Fire walk with me.

Master of My Domain
Those are mainstream...

Lists like mine and Minios are not manstream.... both art and foreign.
The way he worded it though, it doesn't mean his favorite films.

You would be correct! I wasn't proclaiming to be some kind of genius film scholar or anything. I have so much to see, so much to explore etc. I'm only 18 so my current viewing repertoire is rather limited (my letterboxd tells me I'm close to seeing 1000 films now which isn't that much in the grand scheme of things).

When I talked about my friends, what I meant was that the majority of them have no interest in researching film or looking at specific directors or even looking at reviews.Most of them just go and see the biggest marketing ploys and are happy with that (e.g. Avengers although that was a relative critical success).

However, I'm not someone who looks down upon a film BECAUSE it's popular. A film should not be rated for artistic merit based upon how popular or, conversely, obscure it is. I'm into all sorts of genres, periods and nationalities. There aren't many things I won't try, although I'm still getting into lots of areas which is exciting.

Like I said, I'm not an art-house afficionado. Basically, I just love movies, and I want to get to know some people who share that passion. Sorry if what I said in my original post was somewhat pretentious. Hopefully that clears up what I meant anyway.

Hey Jack Welcome!

I knew exactly what you meant by mainstream. Your choices of favorites are excellent BTW!

"However, I'm not someone who looks down upon a film BECAUSE it's popular."...Good for you! Judge a film by your own taste and don't worry what others are into. I like musicals, doesn't bug me most here don't like them.

If you want a Top 100 based on mainstream, check my sig banner for Rodent's Personal...

Lots of hated mainstream in there