Asian Movie Challenge

Tools    

Well I'm in. Infact I watched one yesterday and commented in the review thread. This is what I said...it's hardly an in-depth review but it's a start:

Castaway on the Moon (2009)

Terrific Korean movie. Really enjoyed it. 2 great leading actors, a nice quirky plot, and some lovely cinematography. 8/10
That sounds like my kind of film! Thanks

It could be really cool if this ended with a top 100 of Asian movies.

The list would probably be dominated by Akira Kurosawa, but a list which had a good probability of containing great stuff like Kiarostami, Satyajit Ray, Ozu, Wong Kar-Wai, Edward Yang, Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Mizoguchi and what not, would make my heart jump!

Besides obvious stuff like Akira Kurosawa, Yasujiro Ozu, Kenji Mizoguchi, Mikio Naruse, Hiroshi Teshigahara, Masaki Kobayashi and Hayao Miyazaki, I would like to recommend Toshio Matsumoto. Funeral Parade of Roses is a must see, especially for people who like A Clockwork Orange, also his 1971 Demons is a good watch:

Another pet peeve of mine is the Japanese Pink Wave, with frontrunner, Kôji Wakamatsu, especially his 1966 film The Embryo Hunts in Secret:

Let the night air cool you off
It could be really cool if this ended with a top 100 of Asian movies.
That's where it started. I jokingly suggested a top 100 Asian movies list, but I didn't really think it was a possibility.

Is it okay if I focus on Asian horror? And for that matter, are animated films allowed because I could probably "win" this without having to watch anything new if they are. Sorry but the opening post doesn't really set a whole lot of rules or anything so I feel the need to ask.

There's not a whole lot of rules because I want this to be pretty lax. Animation is fine so long as it's at least 45 minutes long, and you can focus on anything you want from Asian countries.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'm not out of college until May 29th this year and I will be working 9-5 at an internship over the summer, so I'm not sure I'll have too much time for this, but I will participate anyways because I know I'll end up commenting on most of it anyways! A top 100 Asian movies would be terrible for me, there's too much to choose from! I will be starting off the challenge next Saturday when I see Sansho the Bailiff on the silver screen!

That sounds like my kind of film! Thanks
It's great. A love story between a guy marooned on a deserted island in the middle of the Han river and a girl who never leaves her bedroom The Koreans are great at making stories that sound crazy on paper work out well.

3-Iron was my favourite in this regard. A love story between a guy and girl who never speak to each other until the last 10 minutes of the movie - and even then it's only one of them saying three words. But, Kim Ki Duk made it brilliant.

I was planning to do a personal Asia/Pacific Top 100 at some stage. I wanted to wait until I had 100 movies that I rated
or better which I now do. A site wide list would be better though

Russia is on that list of Asian countries, but does anybody want Russia to be excluded from this? It seems weird to have Russian movies on an Asian movie challenge, but I don't really care one way or the other.

Russia is on that list of Asian countries, but does anybody want Russia to be excluded from this? It seems weird to have Russian movies on an Asian movie challenge, but I don't really care one way or the other.
Don't mind either way but the same situation applies to Turkey because whilst most of their land is in Asia, economically they are European.

There's not a whole lot of rules because I want this to be pretty lax. Animation is fine so long as it's at least 45 minutes long, and you can focus on anything you want from Asian countries.
Sounds good to me. Count me in.

It's great. A love story between a guy marooned on a deserted island in the middle of the Han river and a girl who never leaves her bedroom The Koreans are great at making stories that sound crazy on paper work out well.

3-Iron was my favourite in this regard. A love story between a guy and girl who never speak to each other until the last 10 minutes of the movie - and even then it's only one of them saying three words. But, Kim Ki Duk made it brilliant.
I love 3-Iron too

ScarletLion and Sane, just to tell you I was destroyed by the end of Castaway on the Moon! It's a real weepy. I'll try and find some time to write a proper review as it deserves one. Thanks for the recommendation

I think it would make more sense to exclude it, most of the films were filmed in western Russia anyways.

lord curzon the russia hater would have approved . he had said that russian capital of his time st petersburg was a cheap copy of european capitals by asiatics

he liked moscow---called it an ' asiatic original '

Asian here appears to mean "East Asian movies", so that it's clear.

India, for instance, the largest producer of Movies in Asia, has not been mentioned yet. While the largest industry of screen entertainment in East Asia, anime, also has been seldom mentioned, though most people here have watched many movies from Ghibli.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Yeah, we're certainly considering the whole of Asia, just look at Jiraffe's rules, I'm especially looking forward to exploring more Indian cinema