jiraffejustin's Top 25 Horror Films* of the 80s

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
*Loose definition of horror film. But, it's my list, so I'll put in whatever I want. But if you want to tell me it's not horror, that's fine. It's not like I'll neg rep you.

Let me start my list out with a couple other lists.

My 5 least favorite horror films from the 80s:

1. The Evil Dead
2. Evil Dead II
3. Aliens
4. Creepshow
5. The Return of the Living Dead

And now my Top 10 horror films from the 80s I haven't seen AKA What I think could make it into my list once I finally see them:

1. Maniac
2. City of the Living Dead
3. Opera
4. Christmas Evil
5. Near Dark
6. The Burning
7. Bad Taste
8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
9. Tetsuo, the Iron Man
10. Street Trash

I'll start the legit countdown in the next post.

Scanners

My first film on the list already pushes what could be considered horror, but once you see a man's head explode, how is there even a question? Cronenberg goes on to make better horror films during the decade (as you'll soon see) but you still get the Cronenberg gross-out body horror moments in this one. Pulsating veins, skin melting off bodies, and obviously heads going kaboom. Cronenberg's B-sides are better than most's best effort.

Gremlins

Joe Dante made some pretty awesome horror-comedies, and this is probably his most famous. It's also loads of fun. I want a little gremlin.

The New York Ripper

The New York Ripper doesn't really care to follow a plot that makes any sense, and it revels in it's gratuitous sleaze. The duck voice thing is incredibly silly. With all that said, it's a very stylish piece of filth. And stylish filth is fun to watch.

Love Gremlins. From your least favorite list, I really like Creepshow and Return of the Living Dead.
What did you like about Creepshow and RotLD? I've never understood the love for those films. I'm beginning to think that the humor in films like those is just lost on me.

My Bloody Valentine

Once you get past the silly ending, you have yourself one of the better slashers of the 80s. The scenes in the mine shaft are my favorite in the film.

Of those you expect to like, I'd go with Near Dark (it's on my 100), The Burning (which I like more than the film it imitates, but I'm certainly in the minority there) and Bad Taste (which I used to love but became bored with.)

*EDIT* Oh, and Maniac.

The Beyond

Has a real nightmarish feel. Like other Fulci and other gialli it doesn't follow a tight plot, and is more about audience reaction. There is a lot for the audience to react to in this one. The ending is one of my favorite in a horror film as well.

The Toxic Avenger

Probably more comedy and action than horror, but whatever. Loads of fun, over-the-top villains and action sequences. Just an entirely enjoyable film for those with a morbid sense of humor.

The Fog

Not as good as Carpenter's other masterpieces, but not much is. Still a very good atmospheric, ghost story, slasher combination. Jamie Lee Curtis is as perky as ever.

Tenebre

All the twists and turns you expect from Dario Argento. Filled with stylish colors, music, camerawork, and some interesting deaths.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
What did you like about Creepshow and RotLD? I've never understood the love for those films. I'm beginning to think that the humor in films like those is just lost on me.
I thought that they were both a lot of fun. I also like those old pulpy horror comics when I can find them, so I liked Creepshow for that reason. Return is probably more fun to watch with a bunch of people who love it than it is alone. It's a silly movie, but I like it.

I love The Fog. It's such a wonderfully atmospheric film. I saw Razorback once, back in the 90's, but I didn't care for it. Maybe I'll give it another chance should it appear again.

I don't like Troma, so I hope there isn't any more on your list.

The 'Burbs

I mentioned Joe Dante earlier in the thread, well he's back again. This time starring a young Tom Hanks. Getting help from Princess Leia and one half of Corey & Corey. Tom Hanks is as likable as ever as a man determined to find the truth when he suspects his neighbors of MURDER. He then recruits some of his other neighbors to help him prove their guilt. The lengths they are willing to go provide some comedy gold.

I love The Fog. It's such a wonderfully atmospheric film.

Originally Posted by honeykid
I saw Razorback once, back in the 90's, but I didn't care for it. Maybe I'll give it another chance should it appear again.
You definitely should, it's a fun piece of Ozploitation

Originally Posted by honeykid
I don't like Troma, so I hope there isn't any more on your list.
Troma certainly isn't for everyone. I assume you don't like movies where kids get hit by cars and their heads explode.

Troma certainly isn't for everyone. I assume you don't like movies where kids get hit by cars and their heads explode.
A movie of kids getting hit by cars and their heads exploding I'd be fine with.

The only Troma film I can think of that I do like is Space Zombie Bingo!!!, but I think I'm right in thinking that was a film Troma bought rather than an original production.