Nine Inch Nails

Tools    

An ex boyfriend of mine loaded my music player with a ton of NIN music and I just got around to listening to it a few weeks ago and am becoming quite fond of it. Any suggestions to specific songs, albums or maybe artists like them would be very much appreciated.

And of course any additional comments would be wonderful!

(Trent Reznor might be god...)

If you're into the industrial sounding stuff like on Pretty Hate Machine:

Ministry - The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste
Suicide - self titled
Skinny Puppy - Last Rights

If you like the electronica-ness:

Kraftwerk - Trans European Express
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration

If you just like the attitude:

Killing Joke - Revelations
Siouxie And The Banshees - Tinderbox

If you like the quieter, repetitive stuff:

David Bowie - Low
The Cure - Disintegration

I'd even go as far as to call Reznor a spoken word artist on some of his stuff. Not a big fan in general tho.

me Neither

Pretty Hate Machine is really good. I find a lot of it unintentionally silly but it's really catchy stuff.

A few of bands that influenced NIN quite a bit that I like even better are Foetus, Coil, and Einsturzende Neubauten.

Skinny Puppy and Ministry (and Revco and Lead Into Gold, and Pigface and Front 242) are all worth checking out. I would start listening to SP with the album Too Dark Park and Ministry/Revco with The Land of Rape and Honey and Beers, Steers, and Queers.

Love Love Love the Australian band Severed Heads (Tom Ellard was in Skinny Puppy for a little while I believe.) Come Visit the Big Bigot is their must-have album.

Pigface I would start with Washingmachinemouth but Gub is noteable in that it features (an early) Trent Reznor on the song Suck

I'll post some more as I think of them.

Suicide's second album is another favorite

Portion Control are good too (look for the compilation The Man Who Did Backwords Sommersaults)

They're awesome. What's your favorite by Foetus, wintertriangles?

@ blackrose: The albums Hole and Nail and the singles collection: Sink would by my first Foetus recommendations.

For Coil in this order: Horse Rotorvator, Scatology, and Love's Secret Domain.

For Einsturzend Neubauten maybe you should start with Ende Neu, since that one was on Trent Reznor's "nothing" label.

Also would recommend Foetus's side-projects, especially Wiseblood and Steroid Maximus

this one belongs in the "music video" thread. (motorslug, embedding disabled, so follow
)

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Nice choices by everyone!

Nitzer Ebb - That Total Age

Nitzer Ebb - Ebbhead

&feature=related

Sister Machine Gun - Sins Of The Flesh

Godflesh - Pure

Nail Bomb - Point Blank

More of a thrash band, but oh well.

Warning, I'm sure there's something offense in there somewhere.

They're awesome. What's your favorite by Foetus, wintertriangles?
Probably Nail, which makes no sense with my usual tastes at all, but I must ask if you like Coil's Ape Of Naples

Probably Nail, which makes no sense with my usual tastes at all, but I must ask if you like Coil's Ape Of Naples
Nail is awesome. Does it not make sense because it's all over the place or for some other reason? p.i.g.s.w.i.l.l. is one of my favorites, that's one of the first cds I ever bought. I haven't heard any later coil (after Gold is the Metal). How is Ape of Naples?

Reznor's good, but his best stuff is undeniably behind him. And, on a personal level, I can't take any musician who works so hard to cultivate an image all that seriously. Dyed black hair, deliberately and clumsily provocative lyrics, black leather pants. Good music (usually), silly, transparent image.

Nail is awesome. Does it not make sense because it's all over the place or for some other reason? p.i.g.s.w.i.l.l. is one of my favorites, that's one of the first cds I ever bought. I haven't heard any later coil (after Gold is the Metal). How is Ape of Naples?
It's weird because I'm really not a fan of industrial sounding electronica, or just industrial period, and Nail is pretty abrasive, which is probably what keeps me intrigued.

As for Coil, Love's Secret Domain is hard to beat, but Music To Play In The Dark is wonderful, a more ambient Coil (think mixing their past with Brian Eno), and Ape Of Naples is probably an equal mix between Music To Play.. and Love's Secret Domain