Explain Your Top Ten

Tools    

WE ARE MARSHALL!!!!!
10. Eight Below: This movie is such a beautiful story of love for animals and how these animals care for themselves out alone. It also has very beautiful scenery.

9. The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants 2: A very good young cast and the story remains very good. I love stories about friendship.

8. The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants: The story of friendship no matter what comes in front of you. I got into this movie because of the books.

7. Finding Neverland: The story of JM Barrie. Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet, and Freddie Highmore were awesome. The final scene with Depp and Highmore is one to have a box of tissues with.

6. A Walk To Remember:Saddest movie I have ever seen. Mandy Moore and Shane West put on a great performance. Another box of tissues needed for this one.

5. RV: Robin Williams is hilarious as is the story of a family trying to have a cross country vacation in a huge RV. Well of course everything goes wrong.

4. The Notebook:Another tearjerker movie with a great cast Rachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling, Gena Rowlands, and James Garner put on an awesome performance.

3. Mean Girls:The best teen movie that I have seen. A lot that happened in this movie happens in real life cliques in schools. Lindsay Lohan & Rachel McAdams give great performances.

2. Bend It Like Beckham: I love soccer and also the cast was brilliant. Keira Knightley, Parminder Nagra, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers were brilliant. The soccer scenes were shot very well.

1. We Are Marshall:I love this movie cuz it hits a personal note with me. I was born and raised Huntington, WV just miles away from Marshall University. This movie allows me to learn a piece of history that happened 27 years before I was born. Also great performances by all of the cast.

Okay,
I know that originally I posted a link to my Top Fave 100 movies list for this subject,
but I'm bored & I'm really enjoying reading the replies.
So for any who don't want ta hafta read the extensive descriptions on my link,
here are my abbreviated explanations to my top ten:

10. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
While I had seen other movies in the theatre before this one, Empire was the first that I went to go see on my own, with my own money, & since I didn't know how to drive yet, using the public bus system.
So it was at an early age that I gave into the Darkside that is known as sci-fi movie nerdom.

value
9. Gandhi
The British Empire, humbled via one man & the power of peaceful resistance.
Nuff said.

8. House of Flying Daggers
Admittedly, I'm not just a sci-fi nerd, but also a comicbook nerd. And with the bright colors, kick ass costumes, carefully orchestrated high powered slick fighting moves of the Flying Daggers, this film is probably a more high quality comicbook story than other movies of the same genre that feature superheroes in 'em.

7. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Best.
Action.
Adventure.
Movie.
Ever.

6. Good Will Hunting
Great acting, a sympathetically endearing wounded lead character holding a "lottery ticket", a wicked smaht script, & an empathetic supporting role that ends up with Mork winning an Oscar.
How do you like them apples?

5. Goodfellas
A story that not only takes an indepth look into the life style of the mob,
but also shows how in the end, no matter how much of a goodfella you may be, as a wiseguy, you will either end up in prison, getting whacked, or the worst of 'em all, living the rest of your life like a schnook.

4. Aliens
Before his venture in the iceberg ridden sea or into the 3D forests of Pandora, James Cameron was showing film-makers that sequels had the potential to kick even more ass than the kick ass originals that preceded 'em.

3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Watching Jaws as a little kid, Steven Spielberg made me fear venturing out into the water.
With Close Encounters, he made me wish that I could venture out into space.

2. Superman
As I already stated, I am a certified comicbook nerd (not just socially, but now also, professionally). So then the question arises, how can this film not be on my list.
The icon & the movie that started on just how epic the idea of a superhero could truly be.

1. The Godfather
I got exposed to this franchise much later in my life than most people. While I had always heard how great it was, I didn't get around to viewing it until sometime during my college years. And when I did, who woulda thunk that it would actually live up to the hype as one of the greatest films ever?
The Godfather of the godfather genre, the original gangsta of the modern gangster film.
Now,
leave the gun, take the cannoli.

1. A Clockwork Orange
Just raw violence at its best.
2. Vertigo
Simply one of the many masterpieces of the master of suspense.
3. Rear Window
Love it how they just used 1 set to film a whole movie and not making it boring for a second.
4. Spartacus
I have always loved the roman culture, this a movie that really shows it.
5. Gran Torino
Last acting role of Clint eastwood. and its awesome.
6. Planet Terror
One of the movies who send me off to look up more grindhouse like films. this is one of the movies who really got me into films.
7. Deathproof
Yet again one of the grindhouse feature box from tarantino/rodriquez. Best car chase movies. beats vanishing point. though it is a close battle.
8. The Warriors
DO YOU DIG IT! Awesome movie because its awesome story.
9. Reservoir Dogs
A nice raw movie. i like all tarantino's work but this is surely one off my favorites, the quotes and the story are just awesome.
10. Psycho
Yet again a hitchcock masterpiece. suspense at its best.

1. Vertigo
Quite simply the greatest movie ever made. Beautifully tragic story, penetrating themes, a startling performance from James Stewart, brilliant pacing and editing, a moving score, and luscious, innovative, and vibrant cinematography-the best in movie history. You can pause literally every frame of this movie and keep it up on your TV as a work of art. You can turn the sound down and watch Hitchcock's visual storytelling at work. You can follow Scottie's descent into obsession and loss and find yourself falling into Madeleine's trance along with him. Pitch-perfect Hitch.

2. Cries and Whispers
This is actually my favorite movie, but it's Swedish and not many people have heard of it. It's writer-director Ingmar Bergman has made more famous masterpieces--"Wild Strawberries", "Through a Glass Darkly", and the iconic "The Seventh Seal--" but none come close to evoking the emotion that this film does. It's a claustrophobic, devastating, and unflinching portrait of hate, hope, and the transcending power of love.

3. Chinatown
Roman Polanski's neo-noir is so much more than an homage or a genre study. Sure, it adheres to the cinematic language of traditional film noir, but it does so much more. It's above all a character study--Jack Nicholson's JJ Gittes is in every scene of the 130 min. movie. We are right there with him as he turns with every plot twist, discovers new clues, and falls under Evelyn's spell. It also showcases Polanski's unique talent for filming intelligent, subtle, mature stories with technical mastery. And that ending.

4. Taxi Driver
What's there to say about this film that hasn't already been said? The dynamic duo of Scorsese and Schrader pulls equally from noir, western, and crime films to create a wholly unique film. It's essentially a plotless character study with no beginning and no end. God's Lonely Man has many companions in movie lovers.

5. The Departed
Scorsese 2.0 went back to his mafia-mobster roots with this violent, emotionally raw remake (term used loosely here) of "Infernal Affairs." His study of dual identity, crisis of Self, honor and honesty, and paranoia and insecurity delves so much deeper than it has to. Every soul in this movie truly has departed, even before that elevator scene. The entire ensemble cast turns in stellar performances, the editing and cinematography are masterful, the writing is funny, suspenseful, shocking, and ultimately tragic, and Scorsese does his best work since GoodFellas, and possibly Raging Bull.

6. Persona
Bergman's experimental film is simultaneously a look at the disintegration of identity, the confusing nature of intimacy, and an insightful study of human interaction, AND a thesis on cinema itself and its ability to give the viewer a story, then create reality. Needs to be seen to be understood, and even then it still can't be understood.

7. 2001: A Space Odyssey
This movie is basically a silent film loaded with the most breathtaking imagery ever committed to celluloid. Kubrick's trademark detached yet maddeningly precise approach is perfect for the story. And the film's emotional core is a computer, more human than the astronauts aboard his ship.

8. Army of Shadows
Probably the least known or talked about movie on this list, Jean-Pierre Melville's suspenseful, subtle, adventurous underdog story was rediscovered by American audiences in 2006. The picture is a tour de force of adroit storytelling, as the plot follows a French resistance movement as it fights the Nazi occupation against all odds.

9. Children of Men
All but ignored when it came out (it was nominated for Oscars, but no one cared), this film emerged as one of the best movies of the last decade. Of course, it has the requisite great performances and moving story every film on a top ten list should have, but it doesn't stop there. The technical wizardry throughout the film by director/writer/editor Alfonso Cuaron and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki made for two of the best scenes in recent memory.

10. Hannah and Her Sisters
An unlikely Woody Allen selection some might say, but this movie is so uniquely truthful in its study of love in all forms-unrequited, unexpected, unbreakable-that I fell for all its emotionally flawed characters. And Allen's trademark talent for finding humor in the least likely places is at its best here.

My top 10 and explanations:
10. Walking Tall
I just love feel good flicks. Where some individual has to take on "the man" and faces all sorts of set backs. I esp love the ones that are based on a true event/person. As a fan of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson this makes my fave of the feel good flicks.
9.The Condemmed
Similar to #10, but different in that it's a group of bad guys that have to basically kill each other to survive. Again a fan of 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin. Any of Predator, Alien (not Predator vs alien tho) , Blade Runner, or any of Arnie's flicks could have been here.

8. Armageddon
Disaster Flicks. I love them all. Armageddon was the first one that popped into mind. 2012, was the latest of this genre. Some of the best are the TV mini series, 10.5 Apocolypse, there's one where Jellystone errupts. I just love disaster flicks.
7. Blade Trilogy
I LOVE Wesley Snipes. There has not been one of his flicks I do not LOVE. The Blade Trilogy was the best for me. But I do also love "To Wong Fu, Thanx for everything, Julie Newmar" .. Wesley Snipes in drag is classic. Drop Zone, also a fave.
6.The Princess Bride
A classic flick. I cannot watch ANY movie now with a wedding scene and not burst into "Mawwiage is what bwings us togevver today"... That flick I can watch any time any where.
5.The Labyrinth
David Bowie was super sexy in this one as the goblin king. I watched this one as a teen, and it is just classic. Another one that I can watch anywhere, anytime.
4.Shaun of the Dead
I LOVE zombie flicks, and this one is super funny. Recently watched Zombieland, which was good, but Shaun of the Dead left it .. well.. for dead! I do love all Zombie flicks, good, bad and the ugly. From "Return of the Living Dead" to "I am Legend".
3. The Sum of Us
This is an Aussie flick with a very young Russell Crowe. Not specifically a Rusty fan , but this flick is just speaks so deep. It is a story of unconditional love between a father and son. It just has everything. I always end up bawling at the end.
2.Phar Lap
Another Aussie Flick, similar to the american story of Sea Biscuit. About a NZ Race horse and how he came from a loser to being a great champion in the 1930's. I love, love, love this flick. It is where my fave quote come from "He wasn't JUST a horse.... He was the best". And yup, always end up bawling at the end of this one too.
1.Nightmare on Elm St
I love Slasher flicks, and Freddy Krueger is the ultimate bad guy. I love ALL the NMOES, but the first is by far the best. The latest slasher flick I saw was "Sorority Row" and it was good, but was no NMOES. Am cautiously looking forward to the new addition to the series. But without Robert Englund as Freddy, will it cut the mustard?
So there are my top ten. Some are more a genre that I love and I chose one flick to represent, others are specific flicks.

10. North by Northwest

First of all on my list I've tried to include as many different directors as I could, but it wouldn't have really been complete without a single Alfred Hitchcock film. I was torn between this, Vertigo and possibly Psycho. Whilst I think in terms of film making Vertigo may be stronger all round, for me North by Northwest was a more fun and enjoyable film experience and one of the first films of Hitchcock that I watched.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West

Leone is another one of my all time favourite directors and I had to include either this or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in my list. This to me is just his ultimate film, it's just pure Leone and you can see everything that he's worked on and developed whilst making the Dollars trilogy, it's a fantastic Western world with every detail and aspect controlled by the director, just brilliant.

8. Rio Bravo

I love Westerns, and I think Rio Bravo might just be my favourite of all time. A fantastic film that I just thought was incredibly enjoyable and fun, a real feel good film that plays out extremely well as we see a small team lead by John Wayne defend a town in the classic tale. I maybe would have included The Searchers or Unforgiven on my top 10 but seeing as I already have two Westerns I thought it would be a better idea to go with more variety in terms of genres.

7. Raging Bull

This, Taxi Driver or Goodfellas all could have easily made it on to this list. Taxi Driver and Raging Bull are two fantastic examples of film making and films that I really do admire where as Goodfellas is a more faster paced fun filled film, it was between this and Goodfellas for me but chose Raging Bull as I feel that's the strongest film with a fantastic performance from Robert De Niro.

6. Badlands

A fantastic and haunting film which I really loved when I first saw it, it just has a really dreamlike and memorable atmosphere with fantastic visual images and music that make for a memorable film that has been the inspiration for many other films such as True Romance which I also love. Might end up replacing this one with something else though as since including it I think there are films that I like more.

5. Chinatown

Just a fantastic film all round, a masterpiece from Roman Polanski that I have now seen a few times and absolutely love, a fantastic mystery with a great detective style story with a fantastic performance from Nicholson at the centre of it.

4. Citizen Kane

Just a fantastic classic film, one of the best portrayals of a fictional character ever, it has everything you'd want from such. Some of the camera work and images created are brilliant such as the mirror scene of course and then there's the unforgettable ending.

3. The Godfather

I love gangster films and The Godfather is for me, well, the godfather of all gangster films :P The film is just epic in every sense, fantastic performances give a great look at the Corleone crime family and what the face as we see the development of Michael who gets drawn into the family business, I still need to see part two as well.

2. Apocalypse Now

Coppola is the only director with two films on my list, but with good reason. Apocalypse Now is my all time favourite war film and almost got number one spot as well, the film is just brilliant, the first half we see the crazy captain Kilgore and unforgettable helicopter scene which is just pure brilliance then the second half we get a haunting dreamlike experience as Sheen's character ventures into the darkness and finally confronts the psychopathic Captain Kurtz, Marlon Brando.

1. Pulp Fiction

This has always been my favourite film and probably always will be. I absolutely love Tarantino although I can understand his style is not everyone's cup of tea. Whilst Pulp Fiction is probably not the strongest film on this list in terms of substance it's just pure fun that makes it such a great film to watch, one I can watch over and over again.

Films I haven't mentioned but I'm considering putting on my list soon (probably missed a few as well):

BrazilMulholland Drive (Blue Velvet is also great)

There Will Be Blood (Boogie Nights is also great)

2001/Dr. Strangelove/A Clockwork Orange/The Shining (how I don't have anything Kubrick on yet I don't know)

The Big Lebowski/Fargo/No Country... (I love all these films but I just don't know which Coen Brother film I would choose for my top 10)

OK... you asked for it...

10. Aliens

James Cameron’s sequel to Scott’s masterpiece has it’s fair share of shocks and claustrophobia and borders on the horror genre but is much more action orientated than the original sci-fi horror.

It’s also just as well written too. It expands the universe that Scott created too. There’s more scope with the horizon of the storyline and there are new characters and an expansion in the ‘Company’ added in as well.

The acting again is bang on the money.
Sigourney Weaver as Ripley is expanded from the tough officer type to that of a mentally tormented, reluctant heroine. Eventually digging deep to do what’s needed. Weaver was nominated for an Oscar in the role too.
Michael Biehn is spot on as Corporal Hicks. He’s tough and take-charge and has a very approachable human quality about him too.
The Marines are primarily made up of stunt actors too, which adds to the authenticity of their roles.

The effects, especially the creatures are improved as well for the movie. Cameron, having a background in special effects, had the knowledge to use camera angles and wire work for the creatures, which expands their character brilliantly and he has a nice twist with the Alien lifecycle. The action is fantastically choreographed too.

All in all it takes a different approach to the original and is the rare exception where the sequel is as good as the first.

9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King

Once again, the filmmakers have ramped absolutely everthing up for the third installment of LOTR.
Though there's not as many new added lead characters involved, the existing characters are given much more personal expansion in this one, especially with King Theoden and Aragorn... but it's with Frodo and Sam that the real character writing makes an impression as Frodo falls deep into the evilness of The Ring.

What the viewer is given though is a look at a few other various Peoples of Middle Earth, even though many of them are bad guys.

There's also a massive expansion in the action side of things too. The audience are given more huge battles that take up most of the second and third acts of the film... one battle in particular is supposedly close to a half million strong enemy force.

The CG work and choreography is also ramped up again.

The acting throughout is, again, spot on. There's more chemistry this time round (if that was even possible), especially between Mortensen, Bloom and Rhys-Davies.
Elijah Wood and Sean Astin though really steal the show in this third film. Frodo's descent into madness and darkness is exceptionally well played by Wood, and Astin's "Samwise The Brave" is really a show of genuine acting.

All in all, a fitting and satisfactory end to Jackson's trilogy (I say Jackson's trilogy, as it is Jackson's, not Tolkien's). Again though, various changes in character and plot mark it down for me... but it's still an absolutely spell binding movie, a touch more improved than the second movie too and still well deserving of LOTR's title.

8. The Dark Knight

This movie is the defining point of the franchise so far.

Again, the movie is shot perfectly, this time round they used IMAX cameras to give the screen a depth to it. It looks beautiful and detailed.

The broody feel of the first movie is still there, though it’s toned down slightly. The movie feels more open to the visual aspect of a real city.

The expansion of certain characters is worked on, especially Gordon. You see how he goes from being a standard cop to the 'Commissioner Gordon' we all know and love.
As too is Alfred, though it’s brief, there is a small insight to his background.
The writing is fantastically put together.

The Joker’s evil twist on literally pitting everyone against everyone is an absolute masterclass in how to write a real villain.

The way The Joker destroys Harvey Dent at a personal level is very well conceived.

As for the acting…
Star turns again from Bale, Oldman and Caine. Katie Holmes is replaced by Maggie Gyllenhaal, a wise move.
There’s a wonderful turn from Aaron Eckhart too, who acts both of his roles absolutely perfectly as ‘Gotham’s White Knight’ Harvey Dent.

Now, The Joker, played by the late Heath Ledger is something I was dubious about before I saw the movie.
Everyone was raving about his part in the movie and I couldn’t help but think, "It’s only because he died not long after making it". I was never a fan of Ledger or his movies, to be honest, I thought he was a mediocre actor at best.

After seeing the film, I hold my hands up now.

I was wrong.

Heath Ledger, who made it to #2 in my top 40 Villains, is by far the best thing in the movie.
Ledger spent a month in isolation in a hotel room with the script, just acting out the role before shooting even began.

You can tell too. He’s seriously uneasy to watch though at times he’s funny too.
The humour is more of a dark, black humour than the comic-book-Cesar Romero-Nicholson humour that we’re all used to.

Ledger’s portrayal of a hyperactive, giggling psychopath is almost primordial and is very disturbing. Especially his eyes and the little ‘ticks’ he occasionally shows.

As ledger, he’s completely unrecognisable. He is The Joker.

All in all, better than the first and even if Batman isn’t your thing, it’s worth watching for Ledger’s performance.

7. John Carpenter's The Thing

Said by many to be a remake of the 1951 movie "The Thing From Another World", Carpenter's movie is simply based on the same novel "Who Goes There?" by John W Campbell.
The Thing is a closer take on the novel than the 1951 movie, which featured a 'man in suit' monster that resembled more of a giant vegetable crossed with Frankenstein’s monster.

Carpenter's masterpiece is a joy to behold. The tension of the cramped base corridors makes the feeling of being watched all the more potent and the paranoia between the characters can be felt by the viewer, right down to the toes.
There's also fantastic exposition, especially with the use of flashbacks seen on video recordings made by the Nords. It adds an element of untold mystery to the proceedings and gives the events much more depth and realism.

The movie's special effects are absolutely top notch, the collaboration between Rob Bottin and Stan Winston is very, very special.
Utilising animatronics, hand puppets and the very occasional ‘man in suit’ costume, the movie excels at putting the audience on the backfoot.
Only one, partially fake special effect is used in the entire movie in the form of a matt painting combined with Bottin's awesome mechanical effects, the rest is practical, real, juicy and extremely well modelled by the two effects geniuses.

The other thing with the effects and action is that they're used when needed.

The acting is also spot on. Kurt Russell, who is mediocre at the best of times, is wonderfully 'take charge' and tough when needed, his brooding take on the strange sequence of events works brilliantly.

Star turns from Wilford A Brimley, Keith David, Richard Masur and Donald Moffet make the characters work even better, these guys really hit their roles with perfection.
Keith David in particular plays with the audience's paranoia too with his more highly wound temperament.

Mix all that with Carpenter’s spooky, low tone soundtrack (a soundtrack that beats all of his others hands down) makes this another must see movie from me, especially before the ‘prequel’ (based at the Norwegian camp) is released this year.

All in all, one of the finest creature features ever made and one the finest horror stories put to screen. It plays not only with script devices but also with the audience expectations and gives frights, thrills, spills and sheer paranoia in bucket loads.

6. Alien 3 Definitive Edition

A movie hit with budget cuts, internal arguments between producers, director and writers, storyline changes (before during and even after filming) and studio executives having no leniency or confidence with director David Fincher.

Theatrical Version:
The theatrical release of the movie is the version most people are familiar with. The Alien gestates inside of a dog that belongs to one of the prisoners.
This version contains a limited storyline as it was cut and shredded in the editing room against Fincher's wishes. It's also a good 30 minutes shorter.

It also contains limited interaction between the viewer and the actors/characters, many of the prisoners are nameless faces treated like cannon fodder for the Alien.

Only a handful of characters are expanded on for the viewer: Ripley, Dr Clemens (Charles Dance), Dillon (Charles S Dutton), Morse (Danny Webb) and Aaron '85' (Ralph Brown) and that's about it.

The Alien, gladly is kept to the shadows as much as possible and many of the attack scenes are shot relatively close up to put ther viewer in the midst of the action. Which works to an extent but can get disorientating.
The prison also is kept almost as secret as the nameless prisoners. The viewer never really feels part of the setting. Giant corridors that all look the same make the audience just as lost as the storyline.

Ok, the theatrical release is a marmite movie for fans, they either love it or hate it.
I'd say that it works as a horror and is a good film in its own right, but it feels unfinished and rushed. I didn't like it at first, but over the years, it grew on me.

Definitive Edition:
Now we're talking.
Fincher was put to making two similar beginnings to the movie, the theatrical version being the one the studio wanted, this 'definitive' edition being Fincher's prefered.
The dog in the theatrical version is never seen in this version, instead, an ox (used as a tractor by the prisoners) is the Facehugger's choice of gestation.

The story is expanded between the audience and pretty much all the characters, especially Golic (played by Paul McGann), a psychotic murderer and rapist who actually sympathises with the alien creature.
Most of the nameless prisoners now have speaking lines and the storyline feels much more finished and that more time has actually been taken in making it work.

A huge chunk of the middle of the film contains the same scenes as the theatrical release but with the extra/original scenes added back in, it gives the entire movie a completely different aura.

The bad point of the Definitive Version is also, sadly, the added scenes.

That might seem contradictory but the problem is this; The sound hasn't been looped in an editing room, which gives the added scenes a 'hissy' background sound. Some of the added original scenes are fine, others not so.

It's a shame really, as the Definitive Edition is by far a superior movie.

Though if you can look past the small sound problem, even if you didn't like the theatrical Alien 3, you'll certainly prefer this one.

Give it a go. I did, and even though I like the threatrical version, I'll never be going back to it now.

5. Starship Troopers

Based on the novel of the same name, Paul Verhoeven’s ST is a futuristic sci-fi based on the concept of humans v giant insects.

As usual with Verhoeven, the movie undertones itself on political and social failures. Something not understood is destroyed or imprisoned.
Characters in the movie are totally blind to what the viewer is seeing ,which makes the movie work as it gives it a sense of realism.
The special effects in the movie, from giant spacecraft fleets and CGI soldiers to giant insects to even bigger beetles, all work with a relative ease. The CGI is flawless.

Only two faults with the movie: Hollywood beauties Casper Van Dien and Denise Richards. Their acting isn’t great though Van Dien makes the most of the lead role and actually improves his acting as the movie progresses.
Richards, as usual, doesn’t.
She’s wooden and doughy eyed whenever onscreen and tends to just pout when the going gets tough. Gladly though, her screen time is cut down to being that of a supporting storyline rather than a main character.
Their characters though, are well written and have a connection with the audience.

Supporting roles from Neil Patrick Harris, Michael Ironside, Clancy Brown and Dina Meyer give the movie some more well written and well played characters for the audience to care about.

Patrick Muldoon is particularly good as the smarmy 'villian' for Van Dien's chisel jawed hero, yet he still eventually proves his worth toward the end.

All in all a well made movie, great CGI, borrowing from a wonderful novel and Verhoeven is definitely at his best.

4. Predator

Extremely guerrilla film making, relatively low budget with most of the cash spared for the special effects, this movie is an absolute must see for any sci-fi fan.

A well written yet extremely simple storyline make for even more entertainment.
The very well and simply written characters and their personas are even more of a bonus to the film.

Arnie is at his best, as too are the other actors for what they’re worth, the director John McTiernan has eeked the most and the best from the cast. Keeping in mind Arnie’s English was almost non-existent at the time of filming, both Arnie and McTiernan did an exceptional job.

One thing that makes the movie great, is the fact that even after only a short amount of screen-time, you still give a sh*t about the characters. Awesome.

If sci fi isn’t your thing, still watch. Horror, intrigue and fear are the order of the day for any first time watchers.

The special effects, even for the mid-80s, are spectacular and have even set the benchmark for every Predator film that has followed since, yet has never been bettered.
A sense of claustrophobia is felt throughout the entire movie, the jungle setting adds to that and the sci-fi feel never lets up as you always feel as though you’re being watched by something other-worldly. Again, awesome.

By far the best, and probably ever will be the best Predator movie and very close to being the best movie in my Library.

The perfect horror for first time watchers with a chunk of action thrown in and, yet, also the perfect 'horror action' for 'vets' of the movie.
For me, just near the perfect movie.

3. Young Guns

Based loosely on the Lincoln County War of 1878 and the beginnings of the Billy The Kid Legend. Film makers decided the use of 'Brat Pack' actors would be good for a serious movie and they hit on a very special cast.

For a start, the acting from all parties is spot on. Terrence Stamp as John Tunstall is (as always with Stamp) a very inviting character, mature, wise and mildly amusing.
Emilio Estevez as Kid is an inspired piece of casting, Estevez carries the Kids persona extremely well. Young, cheeky, trigger happy, streetwise and also naive.
Supporting/almost main actors include Jack Palance, Charlie Sheen (before he was apparently 'winning'), Kiefer Sutherland, Casey Siemaszko, Lou Diamond Phillips and Dermot Mulroney.
All in all, the handsome cast of 'good guys' teamed against Palance's group of grizzly, hairy bad guys makes you route for the Regulators even more.

The entire movie has a feel of being shot with a sepia filter on the camera lense, not a bad thing though, it adds to the authenticity of the Wild West setting.
The climactic gunfight scenes are wonderfully staged if a little slow to get going.

The bad points: It's loosely based on fact. Said to be the most accurate movie based on the Lincoln War, and I'd agree it is the most accurate film outside of a documentary, but it's still far from actual fact.
The Lincoln War it's self has more to it, which could have made for a longer, maybe more interesting movie.
Though throw those thoughts aside, crack open a bottle and enjoy a well made western.

One thing that will throw the audience is that, what appears to be an OTT gunfight ending, actually happened in real life.

2. The Dark Knight Rises

The third and final Nolan Bat sees an incredibly detailed screenplay brought together with awesome action and an almost perfect story arc. Some scenes are hard to watch, it's the first real beating that the viewer sees the Bat take.

The movie does have faults, but not many. The main thing is that it's not exactly universal. If you haven't seen the first two... don't bother with this one until you have.

The other thing, is the overly used action shots in TDKR's trailers. The movie actually isn't an all out guns blazing blast-em-up from beginning to end. There are a number of plot setups and quieter scenes throughout that give the entire film and some wonderfully playful plot twists throughout... that give a completely different edge over it's predecessors.
Ignore the trailers, they give completely the wrong impression.

The filmmakers have actually managed the impossible task of finishing a movie series properly. There are some things within the storytelling that some viewers and Batfans won't like, but as you watch the film, you can't help but be swept up the the sheer excitment of witnessing the climax of Batman's story.

The ending is also extremely heart-pounding, it wraps up the trilogy perfectly and is brilliantly concieved.
My heart is still racing now, the movie ended about half an hour ago.

The action is based mainly around the third act and a little of the second act but it's very well put together. It edges more towrd the fantastical side of the Batman Comics but still has the brilliant real world flavour of the first two movies.
It's also highly exciting and very, very explosive.

Not much to say about the acting that hasn't been said in my other two reviews of Nolan's Bat.

Tom Hardy however, is fabulous as Bane. He's not just a piece of meat to give Batman a kicking. He's like a cross between a bulldozer and The Joker and Hardy is absolutely fantastic in the role. His voice is a little hard to get used to at first, but after he recites a few lines, you get used to it.

All in all... the finest end to a movie series I have yet to see. History has been made.
I even shed a few tears at the end through sheer joy, and the privilege of seeing the best Bat Series put to screen getting the ending it deserved.

1. RoboCop

An almost post apocalyptic look at the future of mankind sees the cop called Murphy attempt to find his past, and his future, by piecing together the technicalities that lead to his ‘death’.

‘Computer programmed’ as a ‘product’ of the police force and their officials to the point of almost mental incapacitation, he faces adversaries from not only the outside, but also from deep within.
Robocop is not just an ‘actioner’ or a sci-fi, or even a futuristic movie of death and destruction. It’s a long close look at where humanity is going.

The movie in a whole is so far ahead of it’s time that at 20 odd years ago, when the movie was released, it seemed far-fetched with the police uniforms and cars and society’s views and Military tactics involved in the film.
These days though, it seems on the tilting point of dated due to being only a few years behind modern day (2012).

An absolute masterclass in film making. Verhoeven’s take on the future is a spookily realistic and well visioned view of our future. Something Verhoeven is a master of.
Weller as the titular Robocop is another masterclass on the acting scale. Miming robotic bird movements and bringing a human element to a creature made almost entirely of titanium is a wonder. How he does it, is almost a myth.

Rob Bottin’s creation of Robocop’s armour and makeup (especially when Robo removes his upper mask) is a wonder to behold. It looks, even by today’s standard, genuinely real and has yet to be bettered in any movie I’ve yet to see.

What makes the movie really special is the quiet moments, where Robo is reliving some of his past ‘unerased’ memories. It’s something that really brings the audience on a par with Robo’s torn feelings of duty, love, humanity and sheer programming.
Mixed with the haunting soundtrack, the movie will live with you for a long time, if not forever.

Add to that mix some awesome shoot’ em up action scenes, explosions, black humour and melting men in vats of acid and you’ve got a sure fire hit.

Even if sci-fi isn’t you thing, again I say, this is still a must see. You haven’t seen a movie until you’ve seen this one. Just make sure you’ve got the popcorn ready.

100% to Director Mr Verhoeven, Writer Mr Nuemeier, Designer Mr Rob Bottin and the music by the wonderfully enigmatic Basil Poledouris.

100% all in all.

1) Vertigo

Hitchcock has always been my favorite director, and this is surely his masterpiece. I used to love it simply as a flawless confession of the director's darkest obsessions, full of beautiful imagery, gorgeous music, and monumental performances. Yet lately, its haunting portrayal of love, loss, and obsession has resonated with me in personal ways I hadn't expected, and it's hard for me to imagine it at any place other than the top.

2) Fanny and Alexander

I could have selected a number of Bergman films, but not even the endless complexities of Persona or the shocking intensity of Cries and Whispers can match the pure joy and exuberance of Fanny and Alexander. It's the great director's most accessible film, but also a beautiful celebration of life's wonders, in all its forms.

3) 2001: A Space Odyssey

This one speaks for itself. A visionary leap forward in every way; this is the film which elevated science fiction to high art. Kubrick made many great films, yet this one is in a class all by itself. It puts me in a trance-like state of wonder that no other movie can match.

4) Taxi Driver

Scorsese and De Niro's finest hour, and the screen's definitive descent into the mind of a madman. In fact, it might just be the cinema's ultimate character study; I can think of no other film whose portrayal of isolation and loneliness is more affecting. Scorsese's vision of New York City is both gritty and alluring.

5) McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Robert Altman was one of the greatest of directors, but lately I've started to think that McCabe & Mrs. Miller is his finest film. It's the Old West as it truly was; the western for people who don't like westerns (such as myself). Yet for all of its grittiness and griminess, Altman's surreal flourishes make this a singular visual experience and a truly magical testament to a bygone era.

6) Psycho

Only Hitchcock could earn two films in my top ten. Psycho is the film which hooked me on film, and time has not diminished its ability to shock and entertain. Surely the most thrilling film ever made, Psycho also deserves mention as one of Hitchcock's most disturbing explorations of human nature. We all have secrets to keep, and we all hide parts of ourselves from the rest of the world.

7) The Godfather

A perfect film if ever there was one. One of the uncontested glories of 70s cinema, the reputation of Coppola's masterpiece is not exaggerated. We are all connected to our family, no matter how hard we try not to be.

8) Blue Velvet

There must be some Lynch on here, and to me, Blue Velvet narrowly edges out Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive as the fullest expression of the director's unique ability to blend the beauty of the world with its most unspeakable horrors. We all have a battle to fight, but it is usually the one from within that is most difficult to win.

9) Last Year at Marienbad

A film unlike any other. For me, Last Year at Marienbad is the pinnacle of the 60s arthouse heyday and the ultimate puzzle box movie. A fascinating exploration into the nature of memory and attraction, an ornately constructed masterpiece, and stunning proof that with film, anything is possible.

10) Rebel Without a Cause

Nicholas Ray's most famous film is great for its daring indictment of 50s American society, but immortal for its portrayal of youth dysfunction. A deeply affecting classic that also boasts possibly the most gorgeous use of Technicolor I've ever seen.

I just woke up so I'll try to make this as "professional" as I can.
And remember this list is a mix of best and favorite.

1. Persona, Ingmar Bergman
This film had the highest implications on me than any other. It left me pumped up but at the same time with goosebumps. Every scene and every camera angle just seemed indigenous. Ingmar Bergman showing himself directing a scene and a camera reel burning, to show you it's just a film, just added to the overall feeling. The opening scenes of ultra-violence, set the setting and tone so perfectly. It was art truly, the use of props, the acting, the bizzareness, it all added up to the greatest film ever made.

2. Chinatown, Roman Polanski
This is part of what I call the Polanski Trio. This one was a great to the eyes and ears. The dialouge and camera angles really just created a stunning atmosphere. Nicholsons performance combined with the given screenplay, was a perfect match. Best noir ever made.

3. Eraserhead, David Lynch
This is perhaps the first true "mind ****" I've seen, and it's from the master Lynch. The characters were limited and equally weird. The baby could make Rosemary's Baby look like a cute little toddler. The Chicken Scene is one of the scariest and most chilling scenes of film history.

4. The Pianist, Roman Polanski
Second film in the Polanski Trio and this one is a treat to the heart. Not really a treat actually, but a most moving experience. I rarely cry in movies, I can count on two fingers how many times I have, and this was one of the two. Adrien Brody's performance was the best I've ever scene, and my heart aches just thinking of this film. Polanskis mother being gased in the holocaust he brought a ton of passion into this film. And it reflected onto me.

5. Rosemarys Baby, Roman Polanski
And the third part of the Polanski Trio one that's a treat to the mind. A psychological thriller with scenes of paranoia and examination of "cults" which hurt Polanski in the killing of his wife. Mia Farrows performance was brilliant, and the film was an outstanding construction. The only thing you have to fear is,
WARNING: "Rosemarys Baby" spoilers below
Satan raping you while drugged

6. Apocalypse Now, Francis Ford Coppola
The greatest war movie ever made, primarily because it focused on one mans journey, and a shocking revelation. I saw the "Redux" version, and while I have to rewatch it, I can't remove this from its position, because I just remember being so impressed by every scene. Even the thirty minute dinner scene is more a break than it is a bore.

End of five star movies

I'll do the rest later today

10. Aliens

9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King

8. The Dark Knight

7. John Carpenter's The Thing

6. Alien 3 Definitive Edition

5. Starship Troopers

4. Predator

3. Young Guns

2. The Dark Knight Rises

1. RoboCop
Awesome list. Though I am not a big fan of the batman movies and I haven't watched young guns, but the rest is all first rate entertainment, liked your unconventional choices. I will await to finish my top 100 thread before I post the reasons for my top 10 here.

continued...

7. Duck Soup, Marx Brothers
Hands down the funniest film I've ever seen. Whether it was the witty pins by Grucho or the antiques by Harpo, this was all around hilarious. I was laughing my ass off the whole time. Muy hilariso (yes I failed Spanish)

8. Silence of The Lambs (Demme)
Maybe not as well made as Rosemary's Baby but it's scarier. It shows the true horrors of insanity, and how nasty the human mind can get. Frightening and it sticks to your brain, and will never let go. Jodie Foster was great.

9. Donnie Darko (Kelly)
Most of you probably remember this being number one movie, and it was for a long time. It's still probably my "favorite", but it has flaws technical wise. The Gylenhaal sybiling were awesome on screen together. The thriller was intense and psychological. Frank has left a splash on the world. Just for the ending "Mad World" scene this movie deserves props. Lovely but dark, just amazing.

10. Rear Window, Hitchcock
This movie is perhaps flawless, and it's a beauty. I felt like I was in James Stewarts wheel chair viewing out the window onto the ahead apartment. It wasn't only about the main story, which was dramatic and thrilling. It had a side story of the surrounding apartments, everyone with there antiques. Rear Window is pure cinema.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Let me just tell you that my list is not a real list of my favourite movies. Yeah, films listed there belong to my favourites, but I've seen so many good movies it would be impossible to put them all to a list consisting of ten titles. Due to that fact, I made some kind of a tribute to my favourite directors.

10. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
That one had a special impact on me. I've seen few other Herzog movies, but none of them is as good as this one. The feeling of madness, the beautifully performed role of Aguirre, magnificent yet very dangerous and mysterious jungle, transcendental Popol Vuh music... A must-see.

9. Once Upon a Time in America
As good as The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, or maybe even better? A lot of hidden meaning in this one. Even if you ignore it, it's still a top-notch gangster flick. If you include all the content it bears, it becomes a masterpiece.

8. Red Psalm
The best of Jancsó! Very powerful piece of art. It has a lot of dancing and singing, but unlike other movies it's not annoying. On the contrary, it's really interesting and enjoyable and thus adds up to the film.

7. Last Year at Marienbad
One of the most mysterious movies of all time. The mood and atmosphere it bears is not to duplicate. Hiroshima, mon amour is also an extraordinary piece of cinema.

6. The Mirror
Still cannot make out, whether is it better than Stalker or vice versa. The truth is Tarkovsky was a great artist who never made a bad movie. This one is like a dream, the events are kind of oneiric, and I don't even think they are linear. Honestly, I didn't care for a plot too much, I just sat down on my chair and tried to FEEL the film. I succeeded. Certainly, I'll be rewatching it soon and then I'll focus on the plot, but as for now, an amazing, stunning collage of images and music blend together is all I recall. On the other hand, Stalker unlike The Mirror was much easier to understand and follow the plot. The great number of possible interpretations is terrific. From a technical point of view, it's a masterpiece. One of the best camera works I've ever seen. The shots when they are driving the car, the one on rails, with a train and finally the ones in the Zone, colorful and amazing. The use of color, the border between ordinary, bleak world and vivid Zone. So deceitful, so dangerous, but better... Or worse? Don't really want to spoil anything, so pardon me for my incomprehensible language.

5. Fanny and Alexander
Representative of the whole Bergman. His way of making movies is simply unimaginable. In search of God, but not in spite of man. When it comes to Fanny and Alexander, I've seen the television 5-hour-long version in one sit and I don't regret a minute of it. Scenography is simply flawless, great use of colors and the plot. Also, a lot of mysteries to reveal, symbolism... Beside Fanny and Alexander I could include like 10 other films made by this Swedish director. Like... Autumn Sonata with am outstanding performances of Ullmann and Bergman. They have shown how female acting should look like. This is like the second of my favourite actress performances ever. What's the first, though?

4. Passion of Joan of Arc
Here comes the answer! There's no better performance than the one by Maria Falconetti in Carl Theodor Dreyer's Passion of Joan of Arc. And to think she never played at silver screen again. The authenticity, the mimics of her face. And let me remind you, this is a silent movie from 1928, but somehow she managed to speak, even though it's a mute film. Her face expressions... I've never seen something like this before or after. Besides the completely flawless and gorgeous acting, this is like the first, or the first of which I know, use of bird's eye view and face close-ups. They used the real documents of the Holy Inquisition, so everything they 'said' in this movie, was real. Later Bresson's version is also worth mentioning, they actually were speaking in this one, as it was from 60s and it was very solid and reliable remake of Dreyer's masterpiece, but it cannot equal with the original masterwork.

3. Eternity and a Day
This is art. This is poetry. This is a masterpiece. Angelopoulos was a true master of cinema, but unfortunately he has died while he was making his newest movie. A great loss for the cinema. He managed to blend two worlds, two tenses, nobody was ever speaking like him about the history of his country. The history of Greece, the history of its people told in the most poetic and unbelievable way you can imagine. The bus scene in this movie belongs to my all time favourites. The music composed by Eleni Karaindrou fits so well, it brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. Supreme masterpiece.

2. The Dust of Time
The last film of Angelopoulos. Technical masterpiece. It also moved my soul in a way no other movie ever did. I cried every ten minutes, due to both the incredible beauty of the film, frames and music and the fact it's the last thing Angelopoulos did. Too bad it's largely unkown, even though it features three great actors: Bruno Ganz, Irene Jacob and Willem Dafoe. Even among Angelopoulos fans it's criminally underrated and treated as inferior.

1. Werckmeister Harmonies
Oh. My. God. The best movie ever made. I could write a book or two about it, but now when I have to write a few words about it I don't know what to say. I don't even think the words are approbiate or sufficient to describe this film. You have to watch it and feel it. Let it embrace you. Bela Tarr is a genius. His other masterpieces like Damnation, Satantango or Turin Horse also were the unforgettable experiences, but only Werckmeister Harmonies gave me this weird feel. The music along with the scenes, unbelievably beautiful, kind of haunting, mesmerizing, I am speechless. No words to describe it. Right now I cannot say anything, so let me just paste my opinion about the movie I wrote few months ago:
Enigmatic, mystical and beautiful - that's how I'd describe this movie in three words. Every shot is totally stunning. Incredible music and camera angles. Compelling, absorbing plot and scenario. Great storytelling and acting. Poetic cinema at its best.

That's all. My top 10 movies, but in fact it's more than ten. It's the void without end. Once you enter it you cannot leave. You can only discover more and more, watch movies and experience them. Pardon me for the large use of praise words, including 'masterpiece', but the cinema, or art at all is something very hard, if not impossible to describe using the words.

Finished here. It's been fun.
10.The Silence of the Lambs- I think this is one of the best thriller/suspense films ever. Hannibal Lector is one of the greatest villains in movie history and he is amazing in every scene he is in. The acting is great in this film, as is the suspense. It's just an incredible film.

9.American History X-I think this is an extremely powerful movie. I know it's not perfect yeah but it's so emotionally resonant. That scene where the main character steps out of the shower and puts his hand on the swastika on his chest as if to hide it is as powerful as movies can get. This is just a visceral,impactful film.

8.Once upon a Time in America-wow. The film score, the acting, the cinematography. Everything is just beautiful. It's such a nostalgic and masterful movie.Masterpiece

7.2001:space odyssey- This is probably the greatest achievement in human history in terms of movies, this is the movie that I'm proud of somebody actually made. Reason for the #7 rating is bc it's not a film you necessarily rewatch. It's a one time thing.

6.Mulholland Drive-David Lynch's masterpiece. This film is hypnotic,strange,dark,poetic and beautiful. Imo the greatest film of the 21st century thus far. It's grand

5.Taxi Driver-Incredible character study. It's such a perfect performance and atmosphere. One of Scorsese's absolute best.

4.Goodfellas-Just an amazing mob film. I love almost everything about it.

3.The Godfather-The best all around film of all-time. Such a dark film epic. The wedding,a baptism,a restaurant,the explosion,etc. It's just one timeless scene after another.

2.American Beauty-Man this movie is gold. Its just so moving and powerful. Like we can all relate to Lester and his ordeal. This is a very human movie, and a beautiful film.

1.Blade Runner:The Final Cut-I saw BR like 3 years back, and thought it was good but nothing too,too amazing. Then I began dreaming about this movie, and I kept on thinking about it again and again. I rewatch it and see how perfect it is. The lighting,the atmosphere, the noir' vibe, the deep themes and symbolism. It's just a masterwork. A perfect blend of old and new. There's two types of people out there. Those who love Blade Runner to death and those who don't like it. I am one of those who love it.

My Personal Favourite Films:

10. Princess Mononoke
I think this was my ever first anime movie, and definitely still my favourite to this day. I loved the medieval setting (I was the kid that made miniature castles and dressed up as a knight for Halloween), blended with the fantasy elements of demons and talking wolves. The protagonist was so likable; a bad@ss with a sword who was also a pacifist, and I love characters who have inner struggles, but care about others first. Just a great movie with a great message of peace and caring about this earth. Thanks Miyazaki.

9. Toy Story 3
Toy Story was probably the first movie I ever saw (as pretty much a toddler), and I had to watch it again a few years after its release to fully understand it. I loved the first 2, but this third one was something else. Just the nostalgia combined with an excellent story and character development. The ending was the best possible close to the greatest animated trilogy ever, and I admit that a tear or two was shed.

8. Inception

I watched Inception pretty late on Blu Ray, simply because I didn't have the effort to see it on the big screen. I regret that now, because I loved it now. Stellar plot, casting, visuals, and of course Zimmer's magic touch, make this a movie that has high replay value for me. The film is not complex if you distinguish what is important and what is not, and it's just great.

7. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings is probably my favourite trilogy of books and movies. This first one was just so awesome to see, especially as a kid (one who was really into the Medieval Age). The Ringwraiths, Saruman, the Troll fight in Balin's Tomb, the Balrog killing Gandalf, and the fight with the Uruk-Hai were just too much for me. Combine that with the EPIC soundtrack, and you have yourself a great fantasy film.

6. American Psycho
I think dark comedy has become my favourite movie genre, and American Psycho just does it right. Bale brilliantly portrays a man who has it all, but really has nothing, as he desperately tries to quench his thirst for violence and revenge. I think the movie (and book) tries to say something about society and how messed up we are, but watching grown men compare name cards is just awesome.

5. The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight speaks for itself, I don't know what else to add. This is so much more than just a superhero film. Headed by Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, and Christopher Nolan, who give it their all. Really a one of a kind movie.

4. Forrest Gump
Just a great film. Big fan of Tom Hanks, this is one of his more diverse roles, and he does a d@mn good job. This movie taught me about the Cold War Era before history class could. Such a creative plot, combined with a touching meaning behind it all.

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The epic conclusion to the trilogy. Plenty of great battles, dialogue, and character development push this one beyond the first two. A satisfying ending to top it off. The Two Towers barely missed the cut my list, btw.

2. The Shawshank Redemption
Arguably the greatest film of all time, this masterpiece focuses on character, which is what I love about it. It shows the struggles, victories, defeats, and failures of normal people. Freedom from prison is not necessarily freedom from suffering, and this film shows that the human spirit is far more complex than characters reacting in one generic way. Great film.

1. Pulp Fiction
It can only be this. Tarantino really created something special when he released this dark comedy to the world. The dialogue is what drives the movie for me, and how memorable characters (pretty much everyone in this film) react and work together with great chemistry. Though Jules has the best lines by far, The Bruce Willis/Butch story is the most compelling to me, starting with Christopher Walken and his extremely memorable cameo. Travolta works off Jackson and Thurman so well, and it's one my all time favourite performances of his. Top that off with excellent song choices, and there you go. Pulp Fiction.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

To sum up my top ten and my taste in general, I like for my movie watching experience to be fun. I do like some more complex films and ones with darker subject matter, but the movies I truly love are usually just plain entertaining.

10. 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
This is a really fun western with some fantastic performances and beautiful scenery. I really enjoyed the dynamic between Crowe and Bale, whose characters forge an unlikely friendship. Ben Foster too was phenomenal as Crowe's loyal (if misguided) second-in-command.

9. The Departed
Again most of my love for this movie lies in its cast and performances. But the film also offers a lot of tension and a surprising amount of humor.

8. Bubba Ho-Tep
It's a movie about an elderly Elvis impersonator (who believes he's really The King) and a wheel-chair bound old black man (who believes he's really John F. Kennedy) who battle a mummy in cowboy duds that feeds on souls by sucking them out of the a**holes of the elderly residents of a nursing home in East Texas. What's not to love?

7. The Brotherhood of the Wolf
It's stylish. It's sexy. And Vincent Cassel is creepy as hell and yet somehow kinda hot.

6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
It's an incredibly heartbreaking, poignant and funny romance and is also among the most original films I've ever seen.

5. Fight Club
I love that it takes a sort of light hearted look at the most base elements of human nature. Also Brad Pitt is really sexy in it and I'm kind of shallow like that.

4. The Big Lebowski
Eight year olds, dude. The Big Lebowski is quite simply the funniest movie I've ever seen in my life. Also, I love bowling.

3. Ratatouille
Two words: Rats. Pixar.

2. Gladiator
It's thrilling, it's heartbreaking, it's sexy, it's beautiful.

1. Quills
Because it's sexy, funny and thought-provoking. If you've not seen it, I urge you to do so. It's made both the 2010 MoFo Top 100 of All Time and the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium lists and for good reason. Speaking of the latter, here's the write-up I did for it:

Quills is not about the Marquis de Sade.

Quills is about sex and desire. It’s about madness. It’s about creativity, expression, censorship, and the effects art has on those who consume it and those who produce it. It is about the strength and will of people to be free. It is not about the Marquis de Sade. It is not a bio-pic. It is not a history lesson. Do not take any of the events you see as fact. They are not.

Homo perversio: a species that thrives in captivity.”

The film is a (near completely) fictionalized account of de Sade’s last days, locked away in an insane asylum, directing other inmates in plays put on for the public and secretly slipping erotic manuscripts to a black market publisher.

Geoffrey Rush is riveting as the Marquis, reveling in de Sade’s libertine attitude and unwavering insistence on creative, sexual, and intellectual freedom, even in the face of imprisonment and abuse. Whether dressed in full costume, powder and wig or stripped completely bare, Rush’s de Sade exudes confidence and incorruptibility. He is the film’s conscience. He is the film’s soul.

Which seems an odd thing to say about a historical figure infamous for his sexual perversions. But this de Sade is perhaps far less perverted than the two men who strive to silence him. One is a barbaric doctor of the times (Michael Caine, in fine form), who believes in curing “God’s tiny blunders” with brutal “calming chairs,” floggings, and other means of torture and who imprisons his teenaged wife in an opulent chateau. The other is a kindly priest, director of the asylum, who seeks to treat his wards through humane methods and who considers the Marquis his friend, but – under pressure from the doctor and Napolean – is driven to ever increasing acts of cruelty and inhumanity. His moral ideals are corrupted too by an unrequited desire for a virginal chamber maid (Kate Winslet). The priest’s journey from wide-eyed idealism and innocence to wild-eyed depravity is masterfully portrayed by Joaquin Phoenix in what I believe is his finest performance.

But the film does not preach its ideas of morality and freedom. The lessons are there but they’re dressed up in wonderfully entertaining scenes full of humor, paranoia, and thick tension. And there’s plenty of eye candy to take in, from the stunning sets, gorgeous costumes and the people – oh the people. Phoenix’s Abbe du Coulmier can make a girl (or boy) think some very, very impure thoughts. Winslet is charming and beautiful as always (though her one nude scene is more shocking and repulsive than erotic). But most surprising to me was (then 17 year old) Amelia Warner, captivating and incredibly sexy in her role as the doctor’s wife. She easily transforms her character from innocent young girl to enchanting seductress. Fans of True Blood may also delight in Stephen Moyer’s (Vampire Bill) small role as the young architect who is employed to renovate the doctor’s chateau and falls victim to the charms of the young woman imprisoned there.

Of his work, the de Sade of this film says: “I write of the great eternal truths that bind together all mankind the whole world over. We eat, we s---, we f---, we kill, and we die.”

Be prepared to see all of the above.

Let the night air cool you off
8. Bubba Ho-Tep
It's a movie about an elderly Elvis impersonator (who believes he's really The King) and a wheel-chair bound old black man (who believes he's really John F. Kennedy) who battle a mummy in cowboy duds that feeds on souls by sucking them out of the a**holes of the elderly residents of a nursing home in East Texas. What's not to love?
Moved to the top of my watchlist.

P.S.
Those of you who do not have a Top Ten List, go ahead and put down a few favorites and explain from there.
Thanks for including that option for entering this conversation Darkrose. I have always found it difficult to narrow it down to a list. I can name a couple though.

"It's a Wonderful Life" - timeless.
"Good Fellas" - Never gets old.
"Back to the Future" - incredibly imaginative, also timeless.
"Joe vs. the Volcano" - very underrated & before its time.
"8 & 1/2" - need I explain.

I only included one film per director to have greater variety, otherwise Miyazaki would overwhelm my top 10 and it would leave a rather poor representation of my tastes.

10) Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

Considered by many to be the most powerful movie ever made in raw emotional terms (which I can in fact agree, given it's 90 minute running time). Roger Ebert called it the best animated film he ever watched, it is indeed one of the best (though it's lack of complexity makes it weaker than a few others).

Based on a semi autobiographical work of a boy who lost his sister to malnutrition in WW2, who haunted by the vision of his dead sister wrote a book as an apology, which was later adapted into a film (animated, of course, since this is Japan!).

Animation represents Japanese cinema in it's purest, least westernized form. Traditionally, western art favors photographic realism over abstraction: it was only after the invention of photography that painting became less realistic, for instance, as photography replaced painting in many ways. Japanese art is more two dimensional, less realistic and more stylized. Anime is the application of traditional Japanese art to cinema while live action film is an western concept that's been imposed by western cultural dominance.

After Japan became an economic superpower in the 1970's, national self esteem increased and animation quickly overcame live action as the dominant form of cinematic medium (just compare the number of people that work as animators with the number that work with set decoration and special effects). Manga is also more popular than novels for the same reason. Of course, western critics still pay more attention to Japanese live action films since it's much more accessible to their western tastes.

9) Bicycle Thieves (1948)

One of the very few movies considered as classics that I agree entirely on. Very similar to Grave of the Fireflies in being a film about human suffering as result of scarce economic resources.

8) Ugetsu (1953)

Another classic that hold it's power until today. Mark F said it was a simple fairytale but I cannot disagree more, it's certainly a very complex film since the characters in this film are extremely realistic in their motivations and actions. Slowly paced, it requires a longer attention span than most films but it's extremely rewarding if watched with a minimum effort. A timeless masterpiece.

7) Apocalypse Now (1979)

The peak in terms of Hollywood character studies: the set of characters in this film really feels like real people and not just those recycled archetypes we see in many movies. A journey into hell as represented by the Vietnam War.

6) 2001 (1968)

One of the most beautiful and haunting films ever made. It's more powerful an and haunting than Apocalypse Now by confronting us with the greatness of the universe and how small man is compared to it and to other possible sentient lifeforms.

5) Stalker (1979)

The culmination of Tarkovsky's career was the last movie he made before he got cancer and with his declining health the quality of his films also declined. It's an apocalyptic film and extremely depressing, given that Tarkovsky was very pessimistic about the future of mankind. His later films are even more pessimistic but lacking in the same sense of elegance as this one, Tarkovsky most entertaining and linear film. In fact, it is his only film that can be considered conventional in the sense that the plot is very well defined.

4) Tokyo Story (1953)

Another film from 1953, like Ugetsu, this is an extremely powerful work. However, it is the most "boring" film in my top 10, given that it is very slow paced and doesn't rely in any elaborate techniques to maintain the attention of the audience, however, with some effort the payoff can be incredible since very few other films achieve the same sense of humanism as this film. As Kurosawa said: Ozu's films are like still water with strong currents underneath.

3) Ikiru (1952)

As powerful as Tokyo Story but more entertaining, given that it's a Kurosawa film. No other film director was as talented than Kurosawa and very few could even compare, as result his movies are extremely powerful and entertaining, qualities that are extremely rare.

2) My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

No other movie represent as well the feeling of childhood and very few offer so realistic kids. Also I never watched another art film that could be so entertaining as My Neighbor Totoro (it's certainly an art film since it doesn't have a plot, action set pieces, villains and any other conventional tricks of hollywood films to drawn the audience's attention). It's my favorite Miyazaki film by a small margin over Nausicaa.

1) PMMM the movie duology (2012)

This is the least timeless of all the movies in my top 10 but it is also the most complex and aggressive movie I ever watched. It's extreme complexity is derived from the fact that it's effectively a novel compressed into a 4 hour movie. No other film plot has surprised me more and impressed me more with it's twists and extreme creativity (mixing everything together in a way that succeeds with flying colors). No other film can outmatch and very few can rival it's visual diversity and richness. In terms of edition this film is full of pillow shots, reminiscent of Ozu's films and widely used in other works by the director, Shinbo, that greatly amplify it's dramatic impact. It's also full of symbolism (with many layers varying from obvious to hidden).

Despite it's cover and all female cast of characters, it's extremely aggressive and quite masculine (but to understand why one would have to watch the whole movie and also understand well all the characters and their motivations, which is not very easy given it's complexity). It's a movie that screams 2012 since it is full of videogame elements in it's structure and even direction, it's art design is also very similar to JRPGs and it's soundtrack is a postmodern mix of orchestral music with Gothic metal and J-pop, so it's a movie that should appeal especially to young adult males from the early 21st century. Never watched anything more weird and more fresh in my life, it is as if the director and writer read my mind and composed a film that fitted perfectly with my tastes (and ignored other's people tastes) with a few exceptions (I felt that Mami's transformation sequence was just the most cheesy thing I ever watched though this flaw adds to the charm of the movie (
)).

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Mine are obviously a loosely settled list. There is so much I haven't discovered in film that this could hardly be considered final. And I might add a piece on Playtime, what should be my number 11 (or possibly higher).

10. Kwaidan
One of Kobayashi's masterpieces, along with Harakiri. A mysterious and haunting extension of German Expressionism, the film is built on sets that sometimes defy logic, but never harm the eye. It's certainly the most beautiful film ever made on a set, and it's impossible to forget that eye in the sunset. Greater than that is the film's embedded ties with Japanese folklore and history told with expert tone.

9. Chinatown
Not just an evocation of noir, but an equally qualified noir film existing outside of the period it originated from. With the knowledge of the past, but outlook of the present, Chinatown's sublime final act raises it above its genre's usual constraints. "Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown." Don't you think he wishes he could? But we're both left with the burden of what we've just witnessed. Like Kwaidan, it's a ghost story, but in a much less supernatural sense.

8. Werckmeister Harmonies
The most immediately moving film I have watched. Tarr's philosophy is grounded in the mundane and practical, but elevated by cinema. A group of men impersonate the solar system in a beautiful mess of poetry concerning the eclipse, but these men are so willing because they are terribly drunk. Tarr constantly subverts our expectation for conventional narrative. In one of the film's final shots (all in long form, as per Tarr's usual), not only narrative expectation is shattered, but any sense of time we had presumptuously held prior. Tarr's genius at its most grounded and most evocative.

7. Days of Heaven
As much a transitional work for Malick as it is a culmination of the techniques showcased in his previous film, Badlands. Taking the subjective one step further, he offers a clear eyed vision of youth in the purest sense. The naturalistic cosmic ambition of Malick's film is clearly aided by Linda Manz's flawless performance. As we see her interpretation of these adult events, we get the sense that Malick might be showing us more. Her limited knowledge of love is made to feel like out limited knowledge of the universe. As increasingly baffling events occur, the greater implications are clear and it grounds us harshly but realistically. Not to mention it's one of the most beautiful films of all time.

6. Sansho the Bailiff
The greatest execution of Mizoguchi's artistic style. Combined with its brilliant kabuki style staging and masterful combinations of greyscale in its black and white medium, Sansho the Bailiff is one of Japan's finest. Like a great artist, Mizoguchi makes the specific, universal, portraying the harshness of slavery in Japan in such a way that reflects not just his own country's dark past, but its present, and other countries' histories and present as well. Reducing Mizoguchi's film to harsh feminism is a foolish classification, as it incorporates much more, from hope to leaving home, to loss, it's his most universal film.

5. The Magnificent Ambersons
The film that could've been, but still was. Welles' oft cited destroyed masterpiece is less broken than we say. Still providing a more interesting story than Citizen Kane before it, while fine tuning his skills of composition and lighting, what's left is still no less a fine work of art. But still, with the knowledge of the film's downfall, it will always exist in our heads as a film that's missing something. And for that reason, the film haunts. It exists more in our head than it does on film. Spending countless hours trying to imagine Welles' version in your head certainly leaves a permanent impression.

4. Crimes and Misdemeanors
By far Woody Allen at his most profound, the film came at just the right time in his career as well. Once knowledge of his affair with Soon-yi Previn had surfaced, Allen lost the moral footing that had propelled his films in the past, reduced to making films about his lesser talents (though he is a master of nostalgia). Allen's tale entices us with moral resolutions and plays with convention that only makes its final revelation ore devastating. It's a film that you think must have more, because the ending is wrong, that the world wouldn't allow it, and the fact that Allen doesn't budge on his worldview is what makes it so powerful. A culmination of Allen's talents, an outstanding moral film, while also being an outstandingly funny film in a way that doesn't sacrifice its weight,

3. Barry Lyndon
In Room 237, someone argued that Kubrick had decided to direct The Shining due to his boredom from Barry Lyndon. This ludicrous claim from someone who obviously missed out on Kubrick's masterwork shouldn't sway anyone away from the film. On my first viewing, I though the film was long, serious, and boring. Upon all later viewings, I loosened up. Kubrick's film is hysterical and has one of the most brilliant uses of voiceover narration in any film. Barry Lyndon has entire landscapes in the frame that play off of the man made structures in the foreground, making it also one of the most beautiful films of all time. With a more interesting and naturalistic meta-structure than The Shining, this film is one of the most sublime evocations of the medium both textually and meta-textually.

2. Late Spring
Indeed, like many of his proponents, the choice between any number of Ozu's films as your own favorite must be a little bit arbitrary. I, however, believe that Late Spring will continue to be his most beautiful work in my mind for some time. The film represents almost everything that makes Ozu a great filmmaker. From its wholly unique editing style (pillow shots, placing the image over continuity), to its portrayal of realistic and human people, to its use of ellipsis, to its use of the specific to create universal themes, to its complex and deceptive depth of field, the only thing it is missing is Ozu's brilliant and unique use of color. In the film's final scenes, it masters being both a very personal and concrete loss, as well as an outcry from a conflicted society, and a point that coalesces with anyone whose ever been damaged by societal constraints. And it does this with such a simple, subtle action that establishes Ozu as a great artist. Ozu's power has always been his ability to convey a sentiment without dramatizing it or making it fit in to conventional storytelling, and Late Spring masters this.

1. Sherlock Jr.
To place Buster Keaton's simple, perhaps formulaic tale of a projectionist vying for his woman's hand at the top of a list filled with Ozu, Mizoguchi and Tarr may seem at first like critical malpractice. Shelock Jr. is surely the most entertaining movie of all time (for me) and it is incredibly playful, but in looking at Keaton many people miss something. Keaton, in fact, has a very consistent way of telling a joke that really expresses his worldview. Among all of the miraculous falls, the expert (if unaware) maneuvering through streets and into water, the astounding is a concrete philosophy. Keaton's universe is hostile and he's constantly being tossed around in it, just like ours. At the end of a Keaton film, we feel invigorated because of the intent and the triumph of Keaton's visual gags as well as the brilliance of the gag itself. Sherlock Jr. is certainly his most accomplished film boasting playfulness and innovation in every shot. I still can't tell from watching the scene in the theater how the whole part with him in the screen works, and I don't want to. Keaton's film is cinema at its most magical, and it's a wonder to behold.