Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Catching up on some Halloween classics. They're classics for me anyway:

Friday the 13th Part 2
This guy gets it.

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Steven S. DeKnight, 2018)

Watchable but laboured and clichéd so despite the inference of the title it's no riot

Da 5 Bloods (2020)

Spike Lee joint where a group of Vietnam Vets get back together to retrace their steps during the war and reclaim/honour their inspirational and socially aware troop leader who was killed...... and make a bit of fools gold. Loaded with racial connotations, timeline news footage (in the intro only), and a great soundtrack. Post Trauma Stress Disorder makes a rightfully up front issue in the tale of the former GIs. However, this just pans out OK with me in watchabiity.

Shot well but the humerous parts were clunky and the earnest/serious parts suffered because of that.

10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971)

Stumbled upon this while looking for "a film with the number 10" for my monthly challenge, and thought it was pretty darn good. Surprised I hadn't heard about it before. Based on a true story, Richard Attenborough plays John Christie, a serial killer that targets a young couple (John Hurt and Judy Geeson) that rents an apartment from him. Hurt and Geeson are pretty good, but Attenborough was great, chillingly calm... I also knew nothing about the story, so it caught me by surprise with the way things went down. If anything, the film doesn't delve that much into the psyche of Christie, but it's still extremely tense.

Grade:

The Current War (2017)

I had mixed feeling watching this movie.
I was attracted to it because it's a period piece and a history movie (although I've haven't researched how accurate it is).

Possible Spoilers ahead...

Nicely filmed: the sets & costumes seemed accurate.

As a movie, it seemed difficult to follow especially in the beginning - it seemed to move too fast... like they were trying to jam too many facts and figures into its runtime and not spending enough time explaining all the things they were referring to.

The music created a palpable feeling of tension, but it seemed overused - the whole movie felt tense, and it was a relief when the music (that had the feeling of a countdown for a bomb going off) would change to something more relaxing.

The movie's topic didn't seem to require this very regular feeling of suspense and tension. I thought the tension created for this film would have fit a horror movie or thriller better as it was well done, but didn't seem necessary to be used so much for this subject.

I always thought the rivalry was between Edison and Tesla, but this film seems to say it was between Edison and Westinghouse.

I thought the casting of Nicholas Hoult (who I like) as Tesla seemed off. Not that they were striving for likenesses, but Tesla had a unique look and was known for his handsomeness - it seemed a different actor would have fit him better. The character of Tesla (and his contributions) overall seemed underplayed.

Although cinematically accomplished and has aspects to be admired, I'm giving this movie lower marks than I'd like as it was too fast paced to be informative & not a comfortable watch.

Mortal Kombat: Conquest (1998)

In each of us there burns the soul of a warrior. hat thrower kung lao main dude, exiled guard "ciro" and "taja" thief babe team up and coached by thunder god raiden. so far theyve fought scorpion, sub zero, shang tsung the soulstealer and lotsa ninjas, as shao kahn observes. defend earth realm from the forces of outworld. show im watchin, bangin lateniite showtime, lotsa brawling and hot femmes

Tournament

A White, White Day (2019)
Directed by Hlynur Pálmason

Excellent Icelandic film that is part arthouse part police thriller. Very well made and constructed. Shot on 35mm film so the Icelandic landscapes look beautifully grainy.

There are themes of unconditional love, grief and lust. The lead performance by Ingvar Sigurdsson is fantastic.

MONEYBALL (2011)

What a pleasant surprise this turned out to be. As a fan of baseball, I enjoyed the hell out of this. Brad Pitt plays Billy Beane, general manager for the struggling Oakland A's as he tries to rebuild the team using the then-unknown and maligned "sabermetrics". Regardless of the liberties the film takes with the true story, it was a lot of fun. Pitt was so effortless and cool, Jonah Hill was pretty good as his assistant, and of course, it's always a delight to see Philip Seymour Hoffman in any role in any film.

Grade:

Being John Malkovich. (1999)

A bizarre but engrossing film. Not sure how I feel about it yet. The concept was fascinating but I found the characters shallow and irritating. A re-watch is definitely in order therefore my rating is a tenuous...

3/5 Stars.

Step Brothers (2008).

It has its moments but unfortunately I found most of the scenes were simply not funny. The plot was weak and the characters too unlikable to enjoy watching. Disappointing but not terrible.

2.5/5 Stars.

MONEYBALL (2011)What a pleasant surprise this turned out to be. As a fan of baseball, I enjoyed the hell out of this. Brad Pitt plays Billy Beane, general manager for the struggling Oakland A's as he tries to rebuild the team using the then-unknown and maligned "sabermetrics". Regardless of the liberties the film takes with the true story, it was a lot of fun. Pitt was so effortless and cool, Jonah Hill was pretty good as his assistant, and of course, it's always a delight to see Philip Seymour Hoffman in any role in any film.

Grade:
One of my all time favorites which, like you, came as a pleasant surprise because I'm not a particular fan of baseball. Only movie in recent memory I watched three times in a theater, Although, to be fair, that third time I was there to watch something else which was sold out.

The Unknown - Another 1927 Lon Chaney silent. This time he's a member of a circus going by Alonzo the Armless Wonder. He does trick shooting and knife throwing with his feet and is obsessed with Nanon, the circus owner's daughter. There's a reveal early on and one of those, "Why not sleep on it and decide in the morning?" plot twists. 85/100

The Unknown - Another 1927 Lon Chaney silent. This time he's a member of a circus going by Alonzo the Armless Wonder. He does trick shooting and knife throwing with his feet and is obsessed with Nanon, the circus owner's daughter. There's a reveal early on and one of those, "Why not sleep on it and decide in the morning?" plot twists. 85/100
That one's really underseen. I'm a huge fan of it. It's so disturbing and so poetic.