A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Seems Ebert wasn't impressed by the guy catching the arrow...
Which makes it one of his all time worst takes along with Taste of Cherry, Blue Velvet and Fast Times.

There is something sort of compelling or almost sympathetic about someone who just keeps making bad choices.

I haven't seen Bad Ronald in years, but that new print looks miles improved.
I read a letterboxd review that had good things to say about the book on which this is based, so I'm intrigued. Sounds like the book is much nastier, however, so I'm not sure if it's for me

Posted that review in the wrong thread.

And Wet Hot American Summer

And the Elephant Man
I'm a fan of the guy and he was important to me but man, when he was wrong, he was shockingly wrong. It's hard to reconcile his criticism and sensitive points with having written Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

Victim of The Night
I'm a fan of the guy and he was important to me but man, when he was wrong, he was shockingly wrong. It's hard to reconcile his criticism and sensitive points with having written Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
I have been watching my way through a LOT of episodes of the show and it's interesting to see the films he did and didn't like in this forum where another critic can make him explain himself, rather than just his on-paper review. It's fun when he and Gene disagree on a movie and they argue about parts they felt did or didn't work.
One thing I've learned is that he didn't hate schlock at all, he just hated bad schlock, as evidenced by his championing of Motel Hell against a far less enthusiastic Gene.
Interesting to see him defend that movie and then just trash Porky's.
It is also great fun to see them both give Stripes an enthusiastic thumbs-up.

I have been watching my way through a LOT of episodes of the show and it's interesting to see the films he did and didn't like in this forum where another critic can make him explain himself, rather than just his on-paper review. It's fun when he and Gene disagree on a movie and they argue about parts they felt did or didn't work.
One thing I've learned is that he didn't hate schlock at all, he just hated bad schlock, as evidenced by his championing of Motel Hell against a far less enthusiastic Gene.
It is also great fun to see them both give Stripes an enthusiastic thumbs-up.

He was a great critic, regardless of the occasional terrible opinion. Everyone has them, so why shouldn't he. And, yes, he did have room for camp and schlock and exploitation. But I would never give him credit as a really true champion of underground or B films. And while there is no requirement for a critic to have to be that, I sure wouldn't give him a pass that it was just 'bad schlock' he dismissed. He's never one whose opinion I would go to to make arguments for trash aesthetic. He definitely looked down on these films, for the most part. And for me it's a grievous blindspot, as it is with most printed critics.

Scream and Scream Again -

Well, that was odd, but it's a mostly compelling thriller. There's a hunt for a serial rapist and killer, a doctor specializing in organ transplants and a faction of pseudo-Nazis. These very different stories eventually converge, but it may happen too late because for most of the runtime, I was preoccupied with how they are connected. There are memorable moments that took me out of this state such as the chase for the rapist and killer which is long, but never boring, whenever AIP regulars Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price (who plays the doctor) are on screen and any scene with Konratz (Marshall Jones), the scariest pseudo-Nazi who apparently learned to kill by studying Mr. Spock on Star Trek. I'll sum up how odd this movie is with a question it raises, which is one you would hardly expect it to raise considering the plot: how do we prevent scientific advancements from falling into the wrong hands?
I'm glad you found enjoyment out of it. All I found was despite the combination of Cushing, Lee and Price was disappointment, acid and malpractice played for laughs.

I'm glad you found enjoyment out of it. All I found was despite the combination of Cushing, Lee and Price was disappointment, acid and malpractice played for laughs.
Don't be too quick to poo-poo the comedic potential of medical malpractice. I mean, look at Dr. Nick Riviera from The Simpsons.
Then again, it's probably much less funny if it has happened to you or to someone you love.

Don't be too quick to poo-poo the comedic potential of medical malpractice. I mean, look at Dr. Nick Riviera from The Simpsons.
Then again, it's probably much less funny if it has happened to you or to someone you love.
But nobody loses an arm or a leg from Dr. Riviera until they get the bill.

So what's all youse opinions on the Paranormal Activity franchise? I just rewatched the first one and, even though it's better than I remember (C instead of an F,) it's not crazy good. I know it's polarizing, and I'll watch the entire franchise again to see how it works when you look at it as a series, but I'm wondering what's the 411 right now on it all.

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
I liked the first PA but I'm a tad annoyed that it became a franchise.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

So what's all youse opinions on the Paranormal Activity franchise? I just rewatched the first one and, even though it's better than I remember (C instead of an F,) it's not crazy good. I know it's polarizing, and I'll watch the entire franchise again to see how it works when you look at it as a series, but I'm wondering what's the 411 right now on it all.
I've only seen the first two, I think. I'd be shocked to learn that I went as far as 3, but maybe.

There's something effective about the simple "sight gag" approach to scares, ie doors opening in the background, and I would definitely utilize them if I ever made a horror film. However, these guys didn't really go much further than that and neglected to build a decent movie in which to stick these moments. They also neglected to write characters that I would enjoy spending time with. I mostly just remember enduring the dialogue scenes in order to get to the next "bed cam" bit. So I'd say they were on to something but ultimately didn't make something that was very good, at least the installments I've seen. If the series takes a dramatic leap in quality later on I'll eat my hat.

My brother and I were taken in by the enormous pre-release hype and actually saw the first in a theater so we were feeling more robbed than if we'd just streamed it for free.

Edit: It appears that I have indeed marked the first THREE films as "Watched" on Letterboxd so I guess I'll stop acting so snobby now.

YUMMY (2019)

The Shudder Originals I've seen have been pretty solid, and this one is also...solid. Remarkable for being a Belgian zombie film, but not much else. I'd say if you're content to watch every zombie film ever made you'll enjoy this, I've definitely seen worse.
But if you'd prefer to limit yourself to those that are noteworthy in any way you can probably skip it. This reviewer has been suffering from zombie fatigue for many years now so factor that into your decision.

What serious Vincent Price horror movies do you recommend? I say serious because I've seen The Abominable Dr. Phibes, The Raven and Comedy of Terrors, each of which I liked, but I'm ready to see him in scary mode rather than funny mode. I have seen House on Haunted Hill.

Victim of The Night
What serious Vincent Price horror movies do you recommend? I say serious because I've seen The Abominable Dr. Phibes, The Raven and Comedy of Terrors, each of which I liked, but I'm ready to see him in scary mode rather than funny mode. I have seen House on Haunted Hill.
Well, House Of Wax is one of my favorites.
Scared the **** out of me when I was little but in that way that frightening shadows can terrify a little kid and leave an image in their brain forever.