Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Everyone Else - 7.5/10
If you like "The Forest For The Trees" or Maren Ade, check this out. It's not as good, but she seems to pick great female leads you kinda fall in love with (not like Eva Lobau, but good enough). Very dialogue-driven - no trickery.

THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME (2020)

The film follows Arvin (Tom Holland), a young man that's living a tough life in Mideast USA, as he tries to protect himself and his family from various threats and dangers. This was a competent drama/thriller, mostly elevated by its performances. But beyond that, I found most of its musings to be either superficial or empty. The plot is a bit meandering and not all the pieces fit that well together into the story, particularly the one chosen for the last act (the sheriff). I also don't think that the constant back-and-forth in time was necessary some times. I had some slight issues with the narration, but I respect that it was the novel's author the one that provided it. Anyway, despite all these criticisms, it's very well made in terms of performance, overall direction, cinematography, and the film is entertaining, but narratively, there's not much to bite at.

Grade:
is that guy on the picture from the movie IT that plays pennywise the clown? the new one

'Richard Jewell' (2019)

Clint Eastwood films are so one dimensional. They try and manipulate you through a cliched narrative, with moving music, then the main protagonist makes a rousing speech 10 minutes from the end of the movie and wins the day.

The central performances are good in this film, but that journalism subplot - eugh. Awful. The part where Olivia Wilde cheers in the office at breaking the story is just cringeworthy.

'Borat 2: Borat Subsequent Moviefilm' (2020)

Even more outrageous than the first one. The daughter was a genius piece of casting. The film really mocks Trump's America, and also does some clever stuff with feminism. There's some outtakes on youtube of how Cohen was chased off stage with gun wielding crazies during his Country Steve skit. I have no idea what R Guliani was thinking, what a creep.

They try and manipulate you through a cliched narrative, with moving music, then the main protagonist makes a rousing speech 10 minutes from the end of the movie and wins the day.
Agree whole-heartedly!

Ripley's Game (2002)

Interesting film that has John Malkovich set up as an art forger now based in the North of Italy. The main performance as Tom Ripley is wonderful and the story interesting to keep you going to the end. An overcast European scenery adds to the threatening atmosphere.

Gosford Park (2001) (rewatch)

For all the artificiality of the setting & plot, something about it just works. Good performance from Kelly Macdonald, as ever. It’s a shame I don’t see her much in new releases. Never could wrap my head around why it’s a black comedy, though: not particularly satirical to my mind.

⬆️ Gosford Park is a good one.

Snooze factor = Zz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Black Water. (2018)

These kind of movies are usually a guilty pleasure for me but this one was just plain bad. Van Damme was phoning it in and Dolph Lundgren was barely in it. My expectations are fairly low when it comes to straight to DVD action films but this one failed to reach them.

2/5 Stars.

Gosford Park (2001) (rewatch)

For all the artificiality of the setting & plot, something about it just works. Good performance from Kelly Macdonald, as ever. It’s a shame I don’t see her much in new releases. Never could wrap my head around why it’s a black comedy, though: not particularly satirical to my mind.
I think it's that it's main emotional thrust is about class commentary even though it's extravagantly dressed as an Agatha Christie-type murder mystery.

I think it's that it's main emotional thrust is about class commentary even though it's extravagantly dressed as an Agatha Christie-type murder mystery.
Sure, and it did have occasional amusing moments, but I didn’t feel that warranted it being designated a different genre. Still feels very much like a traditional thriller. Not bad, though.

Just a boys game (1979)

Based in Greenock, port city and an amazing look into what it is to be a Scottish "hard man". Played well by the singer Frankie Miller under the writing of Peter McDougall. It's realistic and affecting...I especially loved it when I saw them up on the gantrys (Scots...forgive me).

Thought this was good too Gideon.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Killer Raccoons! 2! Dark Christmas in the Dark! (Travis Irvine, 2020)
5/10
Destination Wedding (Victor Levin, 2018)
6/10
A Fool (Jianbin Chen, 2014)
5/10
12 and Holding (Michael Cuesta, 2005)
6/10

Three 12-year-olds try to act older than they are, and it doesn't turn out too well.
Mercy's Girl (Emily Lape, 2018)
+ 5/10
The Executioners (Giorgio Serafini, 2018)
+ 4.5/10
The Search for General Tso (Ian Cheney, 2014)
6.5/10
Parasomnia (William Malone, 2008)
5.5/10

Serial killer possesses a female parasomniac and breaks up a blossoming romance between a record shop employee and her.
The Virus AKA Truth (Michael Cramer, 2014)
+ 4.5/10
Golden Years (John Miller, 2016)
6/10
Zombie Killers: Elephant's Graveyard (Harrison Smith, 2015)
+ 4.5/10
Myth (Brian DiLorenzo, 2020)
6/10

Mystery-thriller about student Justin Andrew Davis being ominously manipulated by his favorite director (Nicholas Tucci).
Now, At Last! (Ben Rivers, 2018)
5/10
Kartini (Hanung Bramantyo, 2017)
6/10
I Was a Teenage Wereskunk (Neal McLaughlin, 2016)
5/10
Over the Moon (Glen Keane & John Kahrs, 2020)
6.5/10

Chinese girl believes going to the Moon will somehow make up for the loss of her mom.
Foreign Letters (Ela Thier, 2012)
6/10
Toys of Terror (Nicholas Verso, 2020)
5/10
Fools in the Mountains (Edith Carlmar, 1957)
- 6.5/10
Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight (Bartosz M. Kowalski, 2020)
5.5/10

This is a good reason for that.