Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

American Sniper (2014)

Excellent film that is not so much a war movie as it is a portrait about a man going through war, and by extension his family. So much has been said that I feel I can't add much more. I highly recommend this one.

Cisco Pike (1972)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Lord High Filmquisitor

Quills - 7.5/10

After hearing so much about this film on this site and how closely its narrative and rakish lead mirror The Libertine, I was surprised by just how disappointed I was with it. That's not to say that it's bad by any means. On the contrary, the cast is exceptional, especially Geoffrey Rush, who so fully encapsulates the infamous marquis that it's easy to forget just how different of a role this is for him. Michael Caine, Juaquin Phoenix (who I was not expecting in this film at all) and Kate Winslet all perform excellently as well. The last fifteen minutes or so were exceptionally written, allowing not just the cast to show off their incredible range, but surprising me by just how turned around the narrative actually becomes.

It's an incredibly good historical drama with a marvelous cast and solid writing. It knows when and where to insert the Marquis' actual texts within the dialog and the play scene is perhaps the best in the entire film. When it really comes down to it, however, I feel that it compares unfavorably with The Libertine and I would have preferred a lot more Marquis compared to how much of the Doctor and Abbot we were given.

Tusk - 3/10

While it isn't the worst movie that I've seen from 2014, it's damned close.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Crossfire (Dmytryk) - 9/10

This has been a favorite of mine for years, but it came on this morning - it's still great. I always loved the quick exchange of the issue of hate. How there has always been an enemy (WWI, WWII), and now that there's no war, "we start hating each other." -
-Written by Richard Brooks, one of the most underrated directors ever.

The Best Years of Our Lives - (Wyler) - 7/10

What a coincidence... I had rented this, but had saw "Crossfire" only because it was on TCM shortly after I woke up. Post-war problems, but very different films. I had never seen this film before, but I had seen someone recommend it here. I always pass this on the library and always tell myself I'll get it if I need another DVD. Sometimes I look real hard for movies from suggestions here, and sometimes I take a few minutes, and take more chances. I have pieces of paper in my coat with names of films, and with this one, I only saw a few words "coming back from war" and didn't want to know another thing about the movie. The only thing I do is try to see the film length so I can schedule my day, but wasn't going to scratch the sticker off, so it was added excitement and maybe a better way to view films in the future.

Went to the theater today:

Birdman (2014)

Probably my favorite film of 2014 from what I've seen so far. Intense, refined, imaginative and extremely entertaining. Loved it.

Big Hero 6 (2014)

The fun in this film lies in the little details, the animation and the humor. Plot-wise, I think the third act falls short a little bit, because the tension and mistery is revealed early with a cheap "twist" that I saw coming from miles away and that ultimately doesn't feel earned at all because it's too one-dimensional and cliché.

It's no The Incredibles, but it's pretty enjoyable (especially the first two third).

Nice to see you enjoyed Birdman so much Cob. Have you seen Inherent Vice yet?
Nope. It's coming out on the 4th of March here in Belgium, so I still have to wait a little longer.

Destination Tokyo (1943)

Starring Cary Grant, John Garfield, Alan Hale and many others. This is a WWII submarine tale about a U.S. sub trying to sneak into Tokyo harbor undetected, sneaking a small group of men ashore and relating the locations of various targets to aircraft carriers at sea for a bombing run of Tokyo. Pretty exciting film, and despite the fact that Grant is top-billed, it spreads the wealth among the cast who are crammed together in their "tin can." There is a particularly exciting and tense sequence involving a Japanese ship trying to destroy the sub with depth charges that goes on and on and is made all the more tense by the sound effects used. I had the sound down on my system and it was still loud. Very good movie.

Nightcrawler - 6.8/10. Liked the movie. The plot is pretty straight forward. I thought there will be lots of twists and turns. Jake Gyllenhal did a very good job.

Still Alice - 6.6/10. Decent movie. But Julianne Moore's performance was pretty amazing. She deserves it this year!

Captain Courageous (Stevens) - 6/10 - Horrible Portuguese accent (part American, part Greek, part Italian, part Native American, part Tracy), but it's a pretty good movie and Spencer is very likeable.

American Sniper - ???/10
Racist propaganda. So much in this 'biopic' is fiction, it's quite ridiculous. Very disappointed in Bradley Pooper. I can't really rate this. I didn't finish it because it made me nauseous.

Unbroken - 6/10
I didn't really know much about this film before watching it besides the fact that Angelina Jolie had directed it. It was alright but nothing special. The cinematography was quite good.