Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

This Sporting Life (1963)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

That Funny Feeling (1965)

Not really my taste, but it's very likable and easy to watch. I didn't care for Sandra Dee, but I liked Bobby Darin and the theme song.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future

Closed Curtain (2013) by Jafar Panahi

This film has thus far been neglected by the critical population at large. It's as though people have assumed that his 2011 masterpiece, This Is Not a Film, was his final, all encompassing statement. In fact, Panahi has only widened his gaze, and increased the complexity of his already formidable cinema. This Is Not a Film is reaction, outcry from someone who has just lost something. Closed Curtain is the deep, slow longing, and yearning of someone who is attempting but failing to come to terms with what his life is now.

But, we must not forget, Panahi is making a film, his second since his ban from filmmaking. His third is currently premiering in festivals in Europe. This means he's living with paranoia, which is heavily and poignantly expressed in the film (the only film I can think of that expresses it better is Out 1). But the fact of Panahi's continued success is also a statement of privilege. Here, he seems to realize this, that his filmmaking is now a privilege and thus a responsibility. And he struggles with this thought. His cinema is now the voice of many people, of those who cannot express like he has been given the fragile privilege to express. His cinema is now the cinema of the oppressed. But what can his cinema do, confined to the space of a single (and notably large) home, a singular canvas?

Like his mentor, Abbas Kiarostami, Panahi attempts to express the realities of his world, of the Iranian world, of our world, via the off-screen space in the frame. The power (or a power) of cinema is not in its ability to express, but in its ability to withhold expression. If This Is Not a Film was depressing in its expression of personal anguish, Closed Curtain is depressing in its stark and emotional (but logical) conclusions. The final statement of the film is simply that film is not enough.

One of the greatest films of the 21st century.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
That Funny Feeling (1965)

Not really my taste, but it's very likable and easy to watch. I didn't care for Sandra Dee, but I liked Bobby Darin and the theme song.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't love this movie as much as I do. It's one of my favorite rom-coms.

I think it's also the first movie that I ever saw with Bobby Darin. Before I saw it, I thought he was just a singer. I didn't know he was an actor too.

Much that once was is lost
The Imitation Game 8/10

Excellent movie. Great acting. The story of one of the most important moments of the 20st century.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Battle Of Algiers (Pontecorvo) - 10/10

I've had this film for 10 years, and since 6am, I've been watching all the DVD Extras, and how magnificent. Most moving film I ever saw. I think this film is more relevant today, it would be a great history lesson. Magnificent. Great honesty, which is rare in a historical film. A former leader of the FLN played one of the leading roles, as himself. You'll have tears, but with those tears, maybe a better understanding. If this film was 100% fiction, it would still be just as great. If I had money, I'd buy everyone a copy of this film. If you have a VHS player, I know I have a duplicate and would be willing to give it away to someone who wants it. My library has the DVD, and the bonus material is hours long of great stuff.

Pontecorvo made his name with Kapo, another great film, but this was his masterpiece. I've seen "Burn" a few times, and even with the great Brando, it's not that great of a film, but I will give it another chance next week.

Nice coincidence. If you check the "Movie You're Watching Tonight" thread you'll see I'm just about to watch it myself. I bought a Blu-ray copy last year, but haven't got round to it until now. Looking forward to it even more now.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

I didn't like this after a half hour; I took a nap, and when I put it back on, it won me over. I normally don't like this kind of quirky style or acting, but I think I would like this one even more with repeat viewings.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Nice coincidence. If you check the "Movie You're Watching Tonight" thread you'll see I'm just about to watch it myself. I bought a Blu-ray copy last year, but haven't got round to it until now. Looking forward to it even more now.
I'd love to have a discussion... Maybe I'll (or you) can make an "Appreciation Thread" - I'm so excited for ya, Daniel, especially since you haven't seen it yet!

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Dances With Wolves (1990) Watched it last night after a long hiatus-- gets a solid 9.2 from me, so well done and enjoyable. Graham Greene is the coolest GD indian. And Maury Chaykin was a brief, but perfect little slice of twisted heaven. Well done KC

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
The Theory of Everything, 2014
Dir: James Marsh

Physics enthusiasts will be disappointed, but this is not a movie about science. One could barely even call it a movie about a scientist. It is a movie about a marriage, and the very complicated relationship of love, conflicting views and interdependence that it ensues. Personally, I liked this premise. I think it humanizes a very iconic figure whose work and illness have defined him as a character. It shows us a maybe equally interesting aspect of his life, and allows us to explore this fascinating personality not as a genius, not as a legend, but as a person.

Whilst I liked the premise, there were many aspects of the film that I am not sure I really enjoyed. For example, the fact that it is Jane Wilde (Felicity Jones) whose perspective is shown for the most part, especially after the marriage. I would have liked it more if there was a balance between her point of view and Stephen Hawking's (Eddie Redmayne). Just like in real life, Hawking, as interesting a person as he is, remains a mysterious enigma.

But there are still many other things to like about this movie. The two lead roles are expertly acted. Felicity Jones brings a lot of nuance to the character. It is her we get a lot of close-ups of, therefore every implication of the state of the relationship is visible through her. Eddie Redmayne was as convincing as he was charismatic, and it really is his most impressive role to date. Another thing to love is Jóhann Jóhannsson's score, which was just breathtakingly beautiful, and it added a lot to the intimacy of the story. And that was the general atmosphere of the film in general: intimate, sentimental and nostalgic.

To call it the best film of the year is way too far-fetched but it is certainly one of the most accomplished in the romance genre, and it is worth the watch for the pure charm of it.

7.5/10

Au Hasard Balthazard (1966)

I think this is a fairly powerful movie, but for whatever reason, I didn't completely connect with it. I certainly liked it, but maybe I wasn't quite in the right frame of mind.

Re-watched one that I haven't seen in years, and that is Island of Terror (1966), a movie that is a favorite from my childhood days. It's an Amicus production and they turned out quite a few good horror flicks...kind of the working man's Hammer studio, if that makes any sense. This starred Peter Cushing, one of my movie heroes, and probably the first film I ever saw with him. Jolly good fun with creatures running amok on an isolated island and the attempt to destroy them. These creatures suck the bones right out of a human, leaving rubbery, gooey corpses. A bit cheesy but still good stuff, and Cushing brings it up a level.

Hannibal Buress: Live from Chicago
Marcus Raboy, 2014

Jupiter Ascending
Andy Wachowski and Lana Wachowski, 2015

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
Mike Mitchell and Paul Tibbitt, 2015

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Au Hasard Balthazard (1966)

I think this is a fairly powerful movie, but for whatever reason, I didn't completely connect with it. I certainly liked it, but maybe I wasn't quite in the right frame of mind.

I felt the exact same way. I could appreciate it, but I didn't exactly care for it.

The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy is a dark comedy, verging on the thriller type. It stars Jim Carrey as Chip Douglas; a Cable Guy who's overly customer-obsessive and Matthew Boardrick as Steven Kovacs, the guy who falls victim to Chip's intrusive behaviour. I have to admit, I was struck odd by the choice of Jim Carrey for the lead. The synopsis of The Cable Guy gave off an extremely dark tone but then when I watched it, it's clear that I overstated my stance. Jim Carrey is at home in this role as the film as a whole, is only mildly dark. When I said verging on the thriller, I mean it parodies thriller-esque moments to the point of being one.

As for my time with the film, I enjoyed myself, it has a slew of funny scenes; the medieval dinner/sword fight and Steve's family get-together with Chip are my personal favorites and the funniest. Jim Carrey is very good, it's his usual shtick but that's always fun to watch. As unusual as it may sound, the direction from Ben Stiller is great and improves the film as a whole. It's quick, zany and comically dark. I didn't catch most of the Film and TV references, I specifically didn't get the "build it and they will come" followed up by Jason Voorhees' signature croak, how do they match up? Slapstick was clearly the most effective humor tool here and rises above the wittiness and references. The Cable Guy is an enjoyable ride, worthy of a rent and a Sunday-night watch. Ben Stiller has now directed two movies I like/love (Tropic Thunder and The Cable Guy) and one I'm meh on (Zoolander). Interesting.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Fantastic action scenes combined with a nice cast makes this terrific entertainment that even my wife enjoyed.